News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

I just EV train my Pokemon to give me an slight edge towards the game's trained Pokemon. Something about having maxed EV for Speed and Special Attack for a Gengar with a favorable Speed nature and IV helps when I use it against another Ghost type in the game. It probably won't do much when I use that Gengar against a human player though.

I've been obsessed with this system since it came in in RS?  It makes training real painful though...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Roz~

Do you have the Pokerus and the Power items? If not, then I can understand why you say its painful.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Ruto

I have Pokerus, but only the Macho Brace for the item.

I can just press "A" repeatedly and fight like 100-something Roselias but it's the fact the EV counter is invisible that really bothers me. And then there's the amount of time it takes to grow the berries in case I fight the "wrong Pokemon".

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

DrP

Quote from: Ruto on August 16, 2010, 07:21:09 PMI have Pokerus, but only the Macho Brace for the item.

I can just press "A" repeatedly and fight like 100-something Roselias but it's the fact the EV counter is invisible that really bothers me. And then there's the amount of time it takes to grow the berries in case I fight the "wrong Pokemon".

I've been using the same... one of my Pokémon in HG caught it, so I incubated it and now I moved it over to SS, so theyre all infected and they all have Macho Braci. Now im killing a bunch of Poliwag in Ecruteak to get everyone to level 24 before I move on

Roz~

Quote from: Ruto on August 16, 2010, 07:21:09 PMI have Pokerus, but only the Macho Brace for the item.

You could use moves. What I mean is, if you can OHKO some pokemon with a move and it has 15 PP, then you know you've killed 15 Pokemon and how many EVs you got. If you can't OHKO them, just use a move once every fight. It may seems complicated but it's actually really useful. I used to do that when I didn't have an Action Replay.
Using Power Items makes it easier to count though, because when you have the Pokerus + one of those, you get 10 EVs when you kill a Pokemon that usually gives only 1.

SuperRiolu

if you use PokéRus + Macho Brace + an attack that gets you a OHKO, it can raise your EVs quite quickly? (I think the max you can get is 12 EVs, because I don't know who gives out 4 EVs if you defeat them. Is there a Pokémon?
I'm just going to spend my summer here in California doing so many things. There are a lot of things to do here!

Roz~

Pokerus + Macho Brace gives you (x*4) Evs. Basically, if you kill a Pokemon that would give you 1 EV, you get 4, 2 EVs, you get 8, etc. And no Pokemon gives 4 EVs when defeated. The maximum is 3 Evs, but usually they also gives other EVs. Ex : 3 EVs in Atk, 1 in Spd. That's why it's more useful to train with the Power Items and the Pokerus.

SuperRiolu

Quote from: Roz~ on August 17, 2010, 07:18:31 AMPokerus + Macho Brace gives you (x*4) Evs. Basically, if you kill a Pokemon that would give you 1 EV, you get 4, 2 EVs, you get 8, etc. And no Pokemon gives 4 EVs when defeated. The maximum is 3 Evs, but usually they also gives other EVs. Ex : 3 EVs in Atk, 1 in Spd. That's why it's more useful to train with the Power Items and the Pokerus.

The items that were introduced in Diamond and Pearl that only raise the EVs of one stat? So say you use the Power Bracer to promote, do you gain the EVs from the Pokémon + the 8 Attack EVs (assuming that you have PokéRus)?
I'm just going to spend my summer here in California doing so many things. There are a lot of things to do here!

DrP

Quote from: Roz~ on August 17, 2010, 07:18:31 AMPokerus + Macho Brace gives you (x*4) Evs. Basically, if you kill a Pokemon that would give you 1 EV, you get 4, 2 EVs, you get 8, etc. And no Pokemon gives 4 EVs when defeated. The maximum is 3 Evs, but usually they also gives other EVs. Ex : 3 EVs in Atk, 1 in Spd. That's why it's more useful to train with the Power Items and the Pokerus.

I usually use a Macho Brace when training up to Level 50, unless they have a significantly lowered stat, then I use a Power Item at Lv 40. At Level 50, I begin to sculpt their EVs where needed, and I put the Macho Brace back on at Lv 70

Roz~

Quote from: SuperRiolu on August 17, 2010, 08:07:57 AMThe items that were introduced in Diamond and Pearl that only raise the EVs of one stat? So say you use the Power Bracer to promote, do you gain the EVs from the Pokémon + the 8 Attack EVs (assuming that you have PokéRus)?

You really have no idea about how they work do you? x) It works that way : (x + 4) * 2
So if you kill a Goldeen which gives you 1 Atk EV, then you get (1 + 4) * 2, which gives you 10 EVs. If you kill a Seaking, then you get (2 + 4) * 2 which gives you 12 EVs. It's faster than using the Macho Brace and it makes a lot more easier when you want to keep track of how many EVs your 'mons have.

SuperRiolu

Well, I kinda got it... I just didnt know if there was a multiplier effect (which you showed me in great detail).

Where can I find a list of what EVs a Pokémon gives off?

DrP

here

If you happen to know the common English Pokémon names, then go here

You really hit the jackpot when you battle a Pokémon like Charizard, who gives 3 Sp Attack Points and then you use the special attack Power Item, and you get 14 EVs added to Sp attack!

Or if you can Action Replay (if you have it over there) a constant rebattle and want to build attack, there is a guy on the 1st floor of the Glitter Lighthouse who has a Noctowl. That's two attack EVs (and if you have a Power Bracer and Pokérus, it means 12 EVs!)

Roz~

Quote from: drpamplemousse on August 17, 2010, 10:23:15 AMhere

If you happen to know the common English Pokémon names, then go here

You really hit the jackpot when you battle a Pokémon like Charizard, who gives 3 Sp Attack Points and then you use the special attack Power Item, and you get 14 EVs added to Sp attack!

Or if you can Action Replay (if you have it over there) a constant rebattle and want to build attack, there is a guy on the 1st floor of the Glitter Lighthouse who has a Noctowl. That's two attack EVs (and if you have a Power Bracer and Pokérus, it means 12 EVs!)

I believe this link will be more useful :
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual

It lists some hotspots where EV training's easy. You should check it out.

DrP

Quote from: Roz~ on August 17, 2010, 10:51:43 AMI believe this link will be more useful :
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual

It lists some hotspots where EV training's easy. You should check it out.

after looking though that... i have confused myself!! i need to rethink my training strategies!!! Is there a max of Total EVs you can get, or can you get 252 EVs max in each stat.

Roz~

Quote from: drpamplemousse on August 17, 2010, 11:05:50 AMafter looking though that... i have confused myself!! i need to rethink my training strategies!!! Is there a max of Total EVs you can get, or can you get 252 EVs max in each stat.

A Pokemon can have 510 EVs in total, and a maximum of 252 EVs in one stat. For example you could train a Pokemon with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def. 4 EVs = 1 more point in a stat so usually people only give 508 EVs to their Pokemon, because the remaining 2 are useless.