What music sheets are you playing right now?

Started by AwesomeYears, March 29, 2015, 03:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesomeYears

I suppose this is flowy, there are music sheets on the interwebs for free. I've been learning this song as well.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So my teacher gave me this monster as a "fun side piece".
Dear god help me.
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

Oh. I tried playing that, once.

My right middle, ring and little fingers kept on stumbling over each other. They're pretty weak. So it didn't go too well.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

It's actually been going better than I anticipated. I've been doing a chromatic scale exercise where you play everything except C's and F's with 3 and 4.
Example:
C - C# - D - D# - E - F - F# - G - G# - A - A# - B - C
5    3     4    3     4    5   3     4    3     4    3     4    5
what is shitpost

LCKTR

At the moment: Star Fox' Corneria Theme (from the sheet music arranged by mantis985) in Reason. Not a complete remix. I recreate the song as it is arranged (with some help from the original track), and put my own spin to it with instruments while trying to keep the feeling of the original song.
"The military industial complex is a front for multinational corporations whose sole purpose is to conspire against MICHAEL JACKSON'S MONKEY!!!"

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Latios212

Making sure a whole year waiting for Barren Valley didn't go to waste :P I can play the first two pages smoothly now.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Been trying to learn Sonata Pathétique and Boss Battle from KRtD for months now, but I've been away from home during the summer and relatively busy enough during the school that I haven't had too much time to practice.

That being said, I'm also interested in learning Home from Undertale. Should be easier, at least.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Which movements of the Beethoven?
I'm playing the first for an exam tomorrow, the second is basically learned just needs some actual formal work other than just playing through it. The third isn't learnt yet, probably will be by the end of 2015.
It's a great piece, but it's a lot harder than most people think. To play well, that is.
There are also parts that are easier than they sound, and parts that are FAR harder than they sound..
what is shitpost

Altissimo

Performing in a student recital Friday with this. Lovely, lovely piece. A-flat is my favorite major key (though D-flat is certainly up there: the more flats the merrier), so it's still a gorgeous thing to play even after tons of practice.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Good luck! That's probably my favorite of the set, along with the F minor. Great piece, and I'm sure you'll play it well~
In good timing, I was just told to select some new repertoire. Here is my brainstorm list (I can only pick one piece per each of the style periods)
Baroque: My teacher recommended that I learn a Bach Partita. I chose this one.
Classical: Beethoven: Sonata in D minor, Op. 31/2, "The Tempest" (1st movement)
Romantic: This is where I'm torn a ton. I'm probably going to go with the Chopin Nocturne in D flat, Op. 27/2
Impressionistic/20th century: Debussy: Reflets dans L'eau
Subject to change, though. Might switch out the Chopin for some Schubert.
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

Prelude and Fugue in E flat major from the 2nd book.

I'm really no good at fugues, which is a shame since I really do like the complexity of them.
Any tips? I'm not too good at the proper voicing.

FireArrow

Quote from: InsigTurtle on November 19, 2015, 10:03:06 PMPrelude and Fugue in E flat major from the 2nd book.

I'm really no good at fugues, which is a shame since I really do like the complexity of them.
Any tips? I'm not too good at the proper voicing.

I love you! You should post yourself playing when it's done!

...anyways, the first thing I'd do is highlight where in the piece the theme shows up, or chunks of the theme you recognize. You want to "bring out" the theme, so think of the "Theme" as the main melody that is constantly being handed off between the voices with whatever else going on being the accompaniment. It doesn't necessarily have to be the entirety of the voice for it to be worth bringing out. For example, take the one in E major. Notice how he brings out the tell-tale "bum-bum" every time, even if it isn't leading into the the main motif (measures 3 and 4 are the most obvious example.) For stretto (since yours has a good deal of it iirc), you wanna bring out the voice that's most recently introduced - just make sure the other voices in the stretto are still more prominent than non-stretto voices. The one in C major is a pretty good example (3:33 is like stretto's final form :3)

To put this into practice, whenever you're slow practice, exaggerate this voicing. Bang out the highlighted parts whilst playing everything else pianissimo, then once you get that down you can focus on being more subtle. If this is something you struggle with, you can always do scales playing one hand forte and the other piano.

p.s. Voicing properly between two voices in one hand is really tricky and sometimes impractical, so don't worry about that one two much.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

E. Gadd Industries

Right now, I'm working on "Weird Woods" from Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's such a soothing song, and although I originally didn't plan on working on it, I randomly started playing it one day. It's coming along quite nicely!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

braix

I'm still stuck on Bespin's arrangement of "Living Spirit" from PMD Explorers of Sky :(
I can't play it well in one run and I keep having to go back and redo it gahhh
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.