[NDS] Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate - "Top Menu" by G-Han

Started by Zeta, March 31, 2024, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Top Menu
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: G-Han

Gu4n

Special 20th anniversary, one-time contribution and my first arrangement in over 10 years. I would like to ask for help with the following points:

• The transfer from MuseScore to Finale resulted in overlapping notes/rests in measures 11-13 because of the second voice.
  • It might be a good idea to add an octave G clef to measure 18-20?

Latios212

Welcome back! I never thought I'd get the chance to review one of your submissions ;D this'll make our update really special!

A couple of logistical things first:
- Would you be okay keeping your arranger name as G-Han? Right now, it's a 1 to 1 mapping between forum profiles and arranger names, and it'd be a pain to change all of the old ones to match...
- Don't worry about formatting yet, I can help you take care of that after we get the notes sorted out (and there's nothing too crazy in this piece so it shouldn't be too much trouble).

Notes on the notes:
- In the first four measures, the original doesn't actually play any bass notes on beat 3 (it does for the rest of the section, though)
- The top notes on the chords in measure 4 (and the ones below it) should be D instead of E
- Beat 2.5 of measure 10 and 16 sound like triplets instead of using 32nd notes. In the case of m. 16, it's just D-E-F (no E at the beginning)
- The last three eighth notes in measures 13-14 (right hand) could use staccatos
- In measure 16, the left hand plays a bass note C instead of a chord (similar to the measures above it)

I'll get to the last nine measures at a later time, going to get some dinner now. Let me know if you want any help!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on April 01, 2024, 04:25:15 PMI'll get to the last nine measures at a later time
That time is now! These measures are much less straightforward than the rest of the piece, but it's not too bad. (For reference for you to follow along to make sure I have these notes right.)

I'm getting something along these lines (didn't want to rewrite the part for you, but rather just make some adjustments for you to see and review!) -
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
- There's another voice in the range of where the left hand is in m. 18 that makes it a bit difficult to tell which notes to write in sometimes. I'm definitely hearing B on beat 4, and I think potentially the C's on beats 2 and 3.5 may be better as F's? (I didn't edit that in above)
- It's a bit odd looking still but I think measure 19 would be better written using sharps.
- In measures 19-20 I'm hearing beat 3.5-4 a bit differently in the left hand.
- For measure 21, the original has the harmonies a bit lower and I pretty consistent in range between beat 1 and beat 2. It also sounds to me like there's a E7sus4>E7 movement here with an A on beat 1 moving to a G# on beat 2 (which you did have included). How's something like this?
- In measure 22 beat 3, the right hand is already playing the D and I think there's one playing an octave lower.
- Measure 23 has a bit more harmony in the original than single notes in each hand.
- Measure 24-25 have the right left hand notes but I hear some of them in different octaves than you have notated, and I think they have F# on beat 4 as well.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Gu4n

Thank you for your kind feedback and help, @Latios212! New versions of the files have been uploaded and include the suggestions above!

Latios212

Fantastic! Then it is my honor to approve of your arrangement ;D

(For the next updater - noting that measure 18's left hand part has been reduced to a single line despite there being another voice in the original)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

• m12: The D in the RH doesn't sound staccato
  • m13-15: Maybe you could make beats 1.5 and 3 of the RH staccato here?
  • m1 and m3: If you want you could add the glockenspiel part in the RH
  • m21: I hear the notes in this measure shorter than you have written them, was this a stylistic decision?

Latios212

Oh, in addition to the above - I noticed the copyright for the sheet is 2010, but this is labeled as a Switch game. Is this track from the original DS release of the game? If so, I'll go ahead and update the console info.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Gu4n

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 07, 2024, 05:10:06 AM
  • m12: The D in the RH doesn't sound staccato
  • m13-15: Maybe you could make beats 1.5 and 3 of the RH staccato here?
  • m1 and m3: If you want you could add the glockenspiel part in the RH
  • m21: I hear the notes in this measure shorter than you have written them, was this a stylistic decision?
Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback! These are valid points and I'll see to it they'll get a place in the arrangement.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 07, 2024, 09:46:39 PMOh, in addition to the above - I noticed the copyright for the sheet is 2010, but this is labeled as a Switch game. Is this track from the original DS release of the game? If so, I'll go ahead and update the console info.
The game was originally released for Nintendo DS. Thanks for updating the info!

Latios212

Agreed with all the above, and made the changes in the files. Thank you both! :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Looks good to me! Time to accept... (is this the first G-Han sheet not on the Audit??)

Zeta