[PC] Undertale - "Bonetrousle" by JesterMusician

Started by Zeta, November 04, 2015, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesterMusician

Now the sheet adheres to the formatting guidelines.

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 04, 2015, 09:32:27 AM- In the Bass of Measures 1-20 I'm hearing an additional note. You have C, G, C, A, C, G, C, F#. I hear C, Eb/G, C, F/A, C, Eb/G, C, D/F#, etc.
While there are dyads in the ostinato, I wanted to keep the C at a low octave and avoid close harmonies there, and I also don't want the pianist to jump every other note.

Bespinben

Quote from: JesterMusician on November 05, 2015, 08:33:58 PMNow the sheet adheres to the formatting guidelines.
While there are dyads in the ostinato, I wanted to keep the C at a low octave and avoid close harmonies there, and I also don't want the pianist to jump every other note.
That's what I figured! It would have either been taxing jumps, or a really muddy-sounding transposition.

I really hate to bother, but I must point out that:
*You still need a 2nd page title (that's a 1 day-old rule now, sorry lol)
*Your page numbers should be at the top of the page, not the bottom
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JesterMusician

Okay, NOW the sheet should be good. I also figured out how to hide articulations so I included a simile notation to simplify the look.

I don't use Finale to make my sheets - I make them in MuseScore and import them into Finale for finishing touches. Most things get imported correctly, but some things like headers / footers don't.
A few reasons why I don't use Finale
  • Clunky user interface
  • Everything requires a different tool to manipulate
  • Cannot flip articulations
  • Cannot tie across voices
  • Overlapping voices more than a third apart are not separated horizontally
  • Screen tears while scrolling during playback
  • Costs hundreds of dollars
[close]

Side note about formatting: Does a two-page score really need page numbers? The formatting guidelines imply odd pages are recto and even pages are verso - that is, odd page numbers go on the right because they are right-side pages, and even page numbers go on the left because they are left-side pages. This reflects the convention of page numbering in printed works, so the Page 2 is the page on the left after the first page-turn. However, this doesn't make sense for a musical score of only two pages because they are usually presented as a double-page spread. (Within a larger collection, this is facilitated by adding a blank page where necessary so that the first page of a two-page score is on the left.) Besides, when a score is this short, it's not very useful, so why not just omit them entirely?

Also, is there any feedback on the actual music?

Altissimo

Quote from: JesterMusician on November 06, 2015, 06:55:16 AMI don't use Finale to make my sheets - I make them in MuseScore and import them into Finale for finishing touches. Most things get imported correctly, but some things like headers / footers don't.
  • Clunky user interface
[close]

u speakin my language dude. musescore ftw

Yug_Guy

Quote from: JesterMusician on November 06, 2015, 06:55:16 AMI don't use Finale to make my sheets - I make them in MuseScore and import them into Finale for finishing touches. Most things get imported correctly, but some things like headers / footers don't.
  • Clunky user interface
[close]
I usually think of Musescore as "that easy-to-use program that'll let me notate in ways that Notepad won't let me." I'll get all the notation down, and anything that Notepad won't let me use, then I'll import it into Finale and add things like titles, composers, dynamic markings, and articulations. It essentially gives me the creative freedom I need while minimizing formatting errors.

Also, I think this is sounding pretty good! I know I personally used Eb's in the left hand for "Nyeh Heh Heh!", but if you're going for playability, then the way you have it works just fine.

Olimar12345

Sorry that the formatting is seemingly difficult here. Our website is a finale-based one, so if you are a non-finale user it won't be as easy to get stuff done. We do, however, have a free template file which includes all of the correct formatting and you're free to copy+paste your music over to it to help speed things along! Keep in mind that whatever your opinions are about our formatting guidelines, you must still adhere to them if you wish to have your arrangements hosted on our site (though, you're free to discuss things [Here]). They are in place so that we can have a better uniformity among all 2500+ arrangements.

And just for fun, I kind of commented on these :J
Quote from: JesterMusician on November 06, 2015, 06:55:16 AM
  • Clunky user interface A matter of personal opinion.
  • Everything requires a different tool to manipulate Yes, except for the speedy entry+shortcuts,with which finale is know for.
  • Cannot flip articulations Incorrect, you can.
  • Cannot tie across voices Incorrect, yes you can. Though, if you need to do that there are easier ways of organizing music.
  • Overlapping voices more than a third apart are not separated horizontally I don't think understand what you mean with this one.
  • Screen tears while scrolling during playback If you try to scroll while it plays, yeah. It also does that if you press play and alt tab to something else, then come back. That is kind of annoying!
  • Costs hundreds of dollars What program worth having doesn't?
[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Quote from: JesterMusician on November 06, 2015, 06:55:16 AMAlso, is there any feedback on the actual music?
nope we only care about formatting

As I said earlier, I can trust your musical sensibilities to do the piece justice. There IS one thing though. I noticed that one of the side-effects of omitting the lower voice of the off-beat dyads is that the tonality of the piece becomes unclear until the melody comes in at measure 5. Without the other voice, m. 1-4 can be interpreted as C major borrowing from the parallel Lydian, when in actuality it is C minor with a raised 4th and 6th. I suggest perhaps including the missing voice solely for these first 4 measures, using the unoccupied RH.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JesterMusician

I thought about it, but I can't come up with a voicing that sounds correct. There's very little tonal content in that part of the original, so I don't think I should put in more than I already have.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot