News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

SOPA???

Started by NintendoPianoGirl, January 25, 2012, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

^Federal government? In Finland? Or do you mean that this can apply to non-US citizens as well, as long as the website is hosted in the US?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

DrP

Quote from: Cobraroll on January 29, 2012, 01:14:15 PM^Federal government? In Finland? Or do you mean that this can apply to non-US citizens as well, as long as the website is hosted in the US?
Federal usually refers to the US Government.

501(c)(3) is a section in the Internal Revenue Code that contains exemptions for Non-Profit Entities, however for JaMaHa to get this exemption, he would have to basically create a NPO Corporation here in the United States... with lots of paperwork and annoying legal jargon that would lead to expensive filing fees and stuff. So, it really isn't an option.

I think there is something that NSM can qualify under as a "Charitable Deduction" on Schedule A of Form 1040 on an Individual's Income Tax Return... I think NSM would classify as a "Private Operating Foundation", however this would be allowed since the majority of the "business" and "benefit" is within the United States.

Jub3r7

Is it okay if I link this thread to some lawyer guy I met?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

spitllama

Quote from: Jub3r7 on January 30, 2012, 07:09:24 PMIs it okay if I link this thread to some lawyer guy I met?

Sounds reliable xD
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Jub3r7

In boy scouts, it often takes a little over two months to earn a merit badge.
At an event called "advance-a-rama", we cram as many requirements for a merit badge in one day, excluding pre-requisites that you can't do sitting down in a classroom.

I signed up late, so I chose one of the few remaining interesting merit badges that weren't completely filled up, aka law.
The teacher taught most of it, and the son taught the internet portion.
I have the mom's email address; she's a child support lawyer that confirms allegations during hearings.
The son also knows a ton about law, but I have no idea what position he's in.

Bespinben

I didn't know you were a Boy Scout Jub3r7! I am too :) Got mah Eagle Rank already.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

GoronsOrchestrated

What is SOPA and PIPA?
Quote from: DrP on December 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
I didn't know he or those arrangements existed.

... ಠ_ಠ

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

DrP

Quote from: Jub3r7 on January 30, 2012, 07:16:06 PMIn boy scouts, it often takes a little over two months to earn a merit badge.
At an event called "advance-a-rama", we cram as many requirements for a merit badge in one day, excluding pre-requisites that you can't do sitting down in a classroom.

I signed up late, so I chose one of the few remaining interesting merit badges that weren't completely filled up, aka law.
The teacher taught most of it, and the son taught the internet portion.
I have the mom's email address; she's a child support lawyer that confirms allegations during hearings.
The son also knows a ton about law, but I have no idea what position he's in.
I think one year I crammed 8 merit badges in a week at Boy Scout Camp (Life Saving, Camping, Cooking, Music, Wilderness Survival, Woodwork, Art, and I forget the other). It was a blast.
I got a gold palm when I had ma court of honor for eagle. It was quite fun.

I was a Boy Scout. I am an Eagle :D

However Child Support Lawyers really only know about the tax implications of Child Support (which there are none... only alimony affects taxes) and perhaps some stuff resulting with divorce. Pertaining to taxation of corporations and nonprofits, you would need a tax lawyer. I'm only saying this because lawyers know how to file the forms correctly to establish a corporation... however it wouldn't be in JaMaHa's best interests (especially if NSM was "public" hahaha) because he would be subject to taxation on earnings and dividends paid (something that must happen in a corporation).

Technically if one of us gives money (keep in mind that our itemized deductions exceed our standard deduction), then we could report the amount given to a private operating charity (NSM) in help of its "operations". That would work, but like I said your deduction MUST be over the standard $5,800 to claim the deduction. (Im really thinking I should make a tax advice thread... hahahaha)

Jub3r7

Actually, I had in mind that I'd have her forward it to her son, who is more knowledgeable about internet law.