News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Nine Lives' "Too Hot to Handle" Project Sheets

Started by NineLives, August 10, 2023, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Titania

(Not actually checking the sheet in its entirety, just assisting with the points in question below!)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 08, 2023, 09:50:23 AMI will pass the question (of grace notes throughout m1-4 and in m11 beat 1 & similar) on to the next updater.

Quote from: NineLives on October 02, 2023, 03:15:02 PMI still disagree that grace notes would serve better. It's not short enough in the source to feel like grace notes, especially compared to the others present in other parts of the song. I hear the slide start on 2.75 on the notes I have written. I understand it sounds a little awkward without that effect, but I find it more accurate than with the grace note(s).
I agree with using 16th notes instead of grace notes in m. 1 and 3. They sound distinct enough to me as different pitches on the rhythm notated to write in as you have. However, the Ab in the chords should be G# to be spelled consistently with the other pitches in the chord.

Quote from: NineLives on August 29, 2023, 06:59:35 AMI was aware of those, but as I said before, I'm trying to keep restrikes through grace notes at a minimum because I believe it sort of loses its impact that way. I'm hoping that makes sense.
While I'm not sure I'd write it the same way myself, I understand your intention here and agree with keeping it that way if you prefer to do so.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on October 14, 2023, 03:47:08 PMHowever, the Ab in the chords should be G# to be spelled consistently with the other pitches in the chord.
Done!

Bloop

Titania
apparently almost the whole updater team is leaving their mark on this, sorry for bringing this grace note thing back up, but i'll leave you with my thought process comparing the original and your arrangement
Listening closely and at a lower speed to the slides in the first 4 bars, it sounds like all chords have a slide that starts on the beat a semitone below, and slides to the chords you have a 32nd note later. This is the same as the grace note slides in the melody in m6 and on. However, I do agree that writing the grace notes out for all chords will make them lose their power (as well as just being a bit annoying to play haha). Aside from the F major chords, all slides start on the beat, which get covered by the snare hits. The F major however starts on beat 2.75, so it's a lot more noticeable. Writing the slide as a 16th note to beat 3 sounds a bit weird to me though, because it sounds like the full chord is on beat 3, though it definitely sounds more syncopated in the original. It's also hard to play the full E major chord legato to the F major chord. Personally I'd suggest writing it out like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
You could even add the En to the grace note too (which I think is actually what Kricketune suggested), but it's a bit harder to play cleanly. If the player plays all grace notes on the beat instead of before (also the ones in the rest of the sheet), I think it will sound most like the original. You could even leave a performance note saying exactly that.

If after this you still feel the 16th note is best, I'd suggest leaving out the Bn (and maybe also the En) for playability, but I'll accept whatever you decide to do, even if that's leaving it as is ^^

NineLives

Quote from: Bloop on October 31, 2023, 12:10:20 PMIf after this you still feel the 16th note is best, I'd suggest leaving out the Bn (and maybe also the En) for playability, but I'll accept whatever you decide to do, even if that's leaving it as is ^^
I personally prefer keeping the notes as sixteenth notes. I'd also like to keep the whole chord in there because, without all the notes, I feel it loses the power behind the original theme's intro. It starts very strong compared to the rest of the piece and I want that to be emphasized within this arrangement. However, as a compromise, I will write the E and B naturals as optional to the performer. I shrunk the noteheads for them and I'm unsure if that itself needs a performance note because I recall a few pieces having them without one, but if it's absolutely necessary, I'll add it.

Bloop

A performance note wouldn't hurt I think, just to make sure the player knows they can be optional. Also the naturals before the An in those measures seem pretty close to the stem before in at least my version of finale, might wanna recheck if that's the case for you too.

NineLives

Quote from: Bloop on November 02, 2023, 01:11:26 PMA performance note wouldn't hurt I think, just to make sure the player knows they can be optional. Also the naturals before the An in those measures seem pretty close to the stem before in at least my version of finale, might wanna recheck if that's the case for you too.
Everything should be up to snuff now.

Bloop

Awesome, then I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.