News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Super Mario Galaxy" by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, June 20, 2022, 04:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XiaoMigros

Thanks for the feedback, Whoppy! Sorry about the wait on this one, I've admittedly been putting it off...
Quote from: Whoppybones on December 22, 2022, 04:13:11 PM- m28 section: This is probably the official piano version influencing me, but is there a reason you decided to leave out the plucked violins entirely? iirc with the official version they used the violin part as the left hand but left out the cello version entirely. I think the cello notes will definitely be beneficial to the arrangement, but trying to work in some of those violin harmonies in the left hand would likely help it feel less empty.
I haven't seen or heard of an official arrangement, but I agree this section sounds emptier than it should without them. I added in a mix of both parts.

Quote from: Whoppybones on December 22, 2022, 04:13:11 PMAdditionally, I feel that some of the notes in the RH are held for a bit longer than they should be (some of the whole notes seem more like dotted eighths and I don't think the half notes should be tied to the eighth notes in the even measures, for example).
This was changed intentionally to provide a stronger contrast to the staccato LH, I feel like it conveys better on piano like this.

Quote from: Whoppybones on December 22, 2022, 04:13:11 PM- m34 b2.5 LH should be another An, not an F
Bloop and I talked about this already and settled on an F, but in the new context An does indeed fit better.

Quote from: Whoppybones on December 22, 2022, 04:13:11 PM- m42/43 LH There's never any clear restrikes here and in the original it's tremolo'd all the way through, so I'm curious as to why you wrote it out this way.
This was to incorporate the buildup in intensity by other means than just volume, and to transition more appropriately from the previous section

Quote from: Whoppybones on December 22, 2022, 04:13:11 PM- m64 b4 LH I think I hear a grace note. No clue what it is nor if it should necessarily be added into the piece, but I figured I'd point it out.
Not sure what you mean here

Everything else should be addressed! For m58+, I added the strings from the original but tried to preserve their contour rather than the specific notes.

I also made various other playability changes, as I wasn't happy (and am still on the fence) with this sheet's playability.
Files updated!

Kricketune54

There's been a lot of feedback on this one, but it has been a while. No format comments, think it looks good there, but some note corrections and suggestions.

New link as well for the vid:
Spoiler
[close]

Notes
• m4 RH beat 4 I think it's a Cb on bottom not Ab
• m5 RH there's technically a held Bb through this measure - you could have it play on clarinet. Might add some color to that, or you could leave out. I know the Eb on beat 3 is an arranged note not present originally, could leave as is or keep as F because chord doesn't actually change here.
• m6 not sure I hear an Ab outside the bass notes for beat 1
• m62 RH lower layer beat 3 I think a C or A is more accurate - F major chord.
• LH m64-69-halfway-through: thoughts on potentially changing the notes here to 8th notes, as a way to carry the French horn rhythms with the notes of the low strings? I feel like currently the previous measures 56-63 LH part, the quarter notes led to a feeling of building towards something (that being the 8th notes played by the French horns), and to go to a slurred somewhat slow part feels a little like going from walking, getting ready to run, and ending up stuck in the mud. I suppose there could be two ways to feel this section from an arrangement standpoint so feel free to keep as is, just a thought.
   • Outside that, m68 LH sounds like the tied note is an 8th note with two separate C 8th notes after it.
• m75 LH beat 4.75 sounds like Eb again
• m115 LH beat 4 sounds like same octave as beat 3
• m116 RH beat 4 I don't see why this is written different length from the LH?
• m117-18 8va part I don't hear the 16th's that are in the LH... I had a bit of an alternative idea to fill that space out though, and this way of writing the measure will get all the 8th-8th-quarter's in (I felt like my ears were missing the beat 3 one that was formally the half note and the 16th's). This might also make the 8 and 7 tuplet runs a bit easier (screenshot of alternate m117 and first half of m118):

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• m62 RH lower layer beat 3 I think a C or A is more accurate - F major chord.
Not hearing this one, sorry

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• LH m64-69-halfway-through: thoughts on potentially changing the notes here to 8th notes, as a way to carry the French horn rhythms with the notes of the low strings?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• Outside that, m68 LH sounds like the tied note is an 8th note with two separate C 8th notes after it.
Not hearing this either

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• m75 LH beat 4.75 sounds like Eb again
Beats 4.5 and 4.75 are arranged notes, they are all actually Eb

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• m115 LH beat 4 sounds like same octave as beat 3
This one was also an arrangement choice, the figure is otherwise somewhat lopsided (also beat 4 is more lush in the original than beat 3)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• m116 RH beat 4 I don't see why this is written different length from the LH?
typo

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 25, 2023, 03:59:33 PM• m117-18 8va part I don't hear the 16th's that are in the LH... I had a bit of an alternative idea to fill that space out though, and this way of writing the measure will get all the 8th-8th-quarter's in (I felt like my ears were missing the beat 3 one that was formally the half note and the 16th's). This might also make the 8 and 7 tuplet runs a bit easier (screenshot of alternate m117 and first half of m118):
i like

everything not mentioned here should be adressed! Thanks for taking the time to look through this :D

Kricketune54

Quote• m62 RH lower layer beat 3 I think a C or A is more accurate - F major chord.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 28, 2023, 11:59:09 AMNot hearing this one, sorry
relistened, I meant to say F minor chord, but what you have here is fine. I hear F and Ab on both beats 3 and 4 but I think your movement choice is easier and more identifiable.

Quote• LH m64-69-halfway-through: thoughts on potentially changing the notes here to 8th notes, as a way to carry the French horn rhythms with the notes of the low strings?

Were you not hearing or decided not to go with this suggestion?

QuoteNot hearing this either
relistened, hear as you have it

QuoteBeats 4.5 and 4.75 are arranged notes, they are all actually Eb
should've been more clear on my part - I thought the LH beat 4 (entire beat) was supposed to be the beat 4 timpani roll. That part sounds like that stays all Eb's to me. The Eb-D-C figure does sound interesting to have, kind of better than the original, but if we're talking just accuracy should be Eb's, but leaving up to you

Nothing else jumped out, but just wanted clarification the two bits for m64-69 and m68 before accepting

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 05, 2023, 08:20:22 AMWere you not hearing or decided not to go with this suggestion?
I forgot to respond to that, oops
I considered it but I prefer a slow, grandiose feel here that draws its energy from elsewhere than number of notes, if that makes sense

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 05, 2023, 08:20:22 AMThe Eb-D-C figure does sound interesting to have, kind of better than the original, but if we're talking just accuracy should be Eb's, but leaving up to you
Yeah, this part is just for arrangement and not accuracy purposes. Leaving as is also

Latios and I discussed a number of things in private, here's what we ended up changing:
  • Changed the LH of beat 1 to be more empasised, by moving it down an octave, power chording, and tenuto'ing
  • Added an extra note to b1 of the RH in m4, also for extra emphasis
    did the same in the recurring places
  • Notes in m6-7 RH and similar places now span the gaps, no more rests
  • m8 beat 1 RH: Eb is now also in octaves
  • m12-27: Lowered the melody by an octave to pad out the texture
  • m31-35: Lowered beat 1 of the LH for a nicer phrase contour
  • m35: Gb is now F#
  • m36-37: Rearranged the RH, and the melody is now on top
  • m39-40: The 2 high RH chords have been re-transcribed
  • the D at m40 beat 3 has been removed
  • m63 has its beats realigned
  • m119-120: The RH chords have 5ths added for extra oomf

Let me know what you think of the changes!

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 11, 2023, 02:10:30 PMI forgot to respond to that, oops
I considered it but I prefer a slow, grandiose feel here that draws its energy from elsewhere than number of notes, if that makes sense
That's fine. I think this is a section you can take it two ways, and that's just the way I hear it being emphasized, but this works just as well.

Did a review of the additional private changes, got some additional clarifications on Discord. Everything looks good to me! Accepted.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot