News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Sheet Upload Format

Started by MoboMoga, August 25, 2012, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoboMoga

Hi guys! I don't mean this as a bad thing. You guys have special formatting for submissions. But before I joined NSM, I thought the sheet list on the site never changed. The forum's so packed with sheets for everyone yet because of the guidelines, only a handful goes to the site. Of course, sheets that are too messy or the formatting's extreme shouldn't go on the site, but as long as the sheet is simple and you can read the notes, I think people won't mind. I for one don't. It's just a feedback. I'm just so sad that the forum has so much great sheets and it's packed with them while the main site seems so..yeah. It's just not bursting with sheets (not literally). Or maybe we can tell the people to go to the forums, because I had no idea people submit their stuff here.

JDMEK5

Hmmm... You may have a point with that last part about not knowing where the submitting goes..

But as far as the formatting, that's nonnegotiable. Every version of finale has the ability to format the sheet properly; according to the guidelines.
It doesn't take much more effort to make your sheet look professional. Especially since this site is getting more and more professional all the time.
There isn't much need to be slack about it... It's already really easy and simple..

In my case, I never print out a sheet unless I've formatted it to my own liking first.
That's why I like the PDF link so much. I can easily download the file, and then print it without having to make any changes whatsoever. (Unless it's one of those old ones that look really sloppy...)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MoboMoga

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 25, 2012, 05:23:25 PMHmmm... You may have a point with that last part about not knowing where the submitting goes..

But as far as the formatting, that's nonnegotiable. Every version of finale has the ability to format the sheet properly; according to the guidelines.
It doesn't take much more effort to make your sheet look professional. Especially since this site is getting more and more professional all the time.
There isn't much need to be slack about it... It's already really easy and simple..

In my case, I never print out a sheet unless I've formatted it to my own liking first.
That's why I like the PDF link so much. I can easily download the file, and then print it without having to make any changes whatsoever. (Unless it's one of those old ones that look really sloppy...)

I agree with you perfectly. But there isn't a Finale Submissions page. Here's what I mean.
A lot of people do NOT use Finale. Some programs are so much easier. And, they just might not like it. But they're music lovers. They deserve, even though they don't use Finale, their sheets to be on the site. I use Noteflight. Look at one of my sheets. You can see that there isn't anything that messes it up. No fancy font, no nothing. However i cannot submit this for obvious reasons. I grew up with Noteflight. It's very hard for a foreigner to learn English at the age of 40. It's kind of like that. It's extremely hard and stressful for some of us.

JDMEK5

I know exactly what you're talking about first-hand. Finale is completely overpriced if you ask me... I use a program called Notation Composer.
It does basically everything the full version of finale does, for less than a sixth of the cost.

But nevertheless, like it or not, finale is the most common music program in the world.
Although a lot of people don't use finale, a LOT more do use it.

I know it's a pain to rewrite all your arrangements into finale, but there's no other option.

Finale Notepad is free, so cost isn't an issue.

As for the formatting, if all the sheets look the same, it goes a long way to a nice, clean site.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

MoboMoga

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 25, 2012, 06:00:32 PMI know exactly what you're talking about first-hand. Finale is completely overpriced if you ask me... I use a program called Notation Composer.
It does basically everything the full version of finale does, for less than a sixth of the cost.

But nevertheless, like it or not, finale is the most common music program in the world.
Although a lot of people don't use finale, a LOT more do use it.

I know it's a pain to rewrite all your arrangements into finale, but there's no other option.

Finale Notepad is free, so cost isn't an issue.

As for the formatting, if all the sheets look the same, it goes a long way to a nice, clean site.

I LOVE Notation Composer..when I import the MIDI they produce every note (I used the trial version)..if only it was free.

Bespinben

Quote from: MoboMoga on August 25, 2012, 05:15:47 PMHi guys! I don't mean this as a bad thing. You guys have special formatting for submissions. But before I joined NSM, I thought the sheet list on the site never changed. The forum's so packed with sheets for everyone yet because of the guidelines, only a handful goes to the site.

You're targetting the quality control measures as the reason for why the main site doesn't seem to have as many sheets as it should, which is not the case. Currently, in the last 2-3 months, we've had only one somewhat active updater, DekuTrombonist, who's been tasked with reviewing one of the largest submissions list in NSM history (some 50+ arrangements). Being more lenient with submission guidelines won't change the fact that we need another person to help out Deku with submissions. We talked ALL about this in this topic: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=4509.60

Quote from: MoboMoga on August 25, 2012, 05:33:08 PMA lot of people do NOT use Finale. Some programs are so much easier. And, they just might not like it. But they're music lovers. They deserve, even though they don't use Finale, their sheets to be on the site. I use Noteflight. Look at one of my sheets. You can see that there isn't anything that messes it up. No fancy font, no nothing. However i cannot submit this for obvious reasons. I grew up with Noteflight. It's very hard for a foreigner to learn English at the age of 40. It's kind of like that. It's extremely hard and stressful for some of us.

I myself had started out with Sibelius notation software. I could go on and on about how much more ergonomic and generally user-friendly the program is compared to Finale. In fact, when I started out arranging stuff for NSM in the Summer of last year 2011, about 3 months after making my arrangement thread I had wrote about 20 arrangements in Sibelius. However, eventually, I realized that I needed to get over my qualms with Finale and learn to use it if I ever wanted my sheets to get to the main site. It was hard - very hard - but I made a COMPLETE switch over to Finale, and started a personal project to rewrite all my Sibelius arrangements into Finale, which I actually completed quite recently. I even made a thread for it, detailing my progress: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=3624.0

So what's my point? It's possible to learn another notation program. Just make sure you don't make a bunch of arrangements before the switch over, or you'll have to spend a very long time like I did rewriting old arrangements.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on August 25, 2012, 06:11:05 PMJust make sure you don't make a bunch of arrangements before the switch over, or you'll have to spend a very long time like I did rewriting old arrangements.
I'm too late for that... My sheet music folder currently has 1,370 files in it.

My Arrangements

Shadoninja

I'm working on a template that should make formatting a nonissue. I'm more than happy to do final cleanup if anyone needs it.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

Can anyone use those templates you're cooking up? Are they restricted to a certain version of finale?

My Arrangements

MoboMoga

Quote from: Bespinben on August 25, 2012, 06:11:05 PMYou're targetting the quality control measures as the reason for why the main site doesn't seem to have as many sheets as it should, which is not the case. Currently, in the last 2-3 months, we've had only one somewhat active updater, DekuTrombonist, who's been tasked with reviewing one of the largest submissions list in NSM history (some 50+ arrangements). Being more lenient with submission guidelines won't change the fact that we need another person to help out Deku with submissions. We talked ALL about this in this topic: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=4509.60

I myself had started out with Sibelius notation software. I could go on and on about how much more ergonomic and generally user-friendly the program is compared to Finale. In fact, when I started out arranging stuff for NSM in the Summer of last year 2011, about 3 months after making my arrangement thread I had wrote about 20 arrangements in Sibelius. However, eventually, I realized that I needed to get over my qualms with Finale and learn to use it if I ever wanted my sheets to get to the main site. It was hard - very hard - but I made a COMPLETE switch over to Finale, and started a personal project to rewrite all my Sibelius arrangements into Finale, which I actually completed quite recently. I even made a thread for it, detailing my progress: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=3624.0

So what's my point? It's possible to learn another notation program. Just make sure you don't make a bunch of arrangements before the switch over, or you'll have to spend a very long time like I did rewriting old arrangements.

I checked the link. XML is no problem except for one thing (and this is the reason why I can't make .MUS)...the tempo marking is stuck between staves, and I just can't move it.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 25, 2012, 07:46:17 PMCan anyone use those templates you're cooking up? Are they restricted to a certain version of finale?
I only have Finale 2007.

Shadoninja

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 25, 2012, 07:46:17 PMCan anyone use those templates you're cooking up? Are they restricted to a certain version of finale?
They're being designed with Notepad users in mind. Currently, they'll only be compatible with 2012 versions, but I'll make a 2011 template too.

I'll post updates in this thread
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Bespinben

Quote from: MoboMoga on August 25, 2012, 08:02:04 PMI checked the link. XML is no problem except for one thing (and this is the reason why I can't make .MUS)...the tempo marking is stuck between staves, and I just can't move it.
I only have Finale 2007.

When I said I re-wrote them, I didn't mean I imported an XML. I quite literally hand-clicked every single note, articulation, dynamic, etc AGAIN into Finale, looking at the PDF. That's why it took 9 months. Even though XML is better than MIDI import, it still sucks. I only provided XML links in case someone else wanted to chip in.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

KefkaticFanatic

Nobody has any excuse for not properly formatting a sheet.  It's not even close to hard.

me irl
[close]