News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

C major. No flats, no sharps. Though that Bb makes it sound mixolydian, C is tonic and it should be displayed as such.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

TheMarioPianist

I'm 99% sure the answer is:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 19, 2016, 06:24:17 PMC major. No flats, no sharps. Though that Bb makes it sound mixolydian, C is tonic and it should be displayed as such.

Yes, the same answer.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mastersuperfan

I bet if you had this one claimed you'd be asking for this next:

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 23, 2016, 10:12:22 AMI bet if you had this one claimed you'd be asking for this next:

Spoiler
[close]

Heh. (Too bad it's already mine!)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

E. Gadd Industries

Nope! I have no desire for Yoshi Circuit. However, I'll be looking for Tick Tock Clock afterward. XD
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

I need key sigs and time sigs for songs! I can work on it by hand while i'm grounded
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

AwesomeYears

1.) D minor, 6/8 (or 12/8, I can never figure out which one I should choose)
2.) A minor, fast 4/4.
3.) C major, can't exactly figure out time sig.

BrainyLucario

Thanks. I'll look into the 3rd time signature, I need to try and learn how to do that anyway

Yug_Guy

Tobbeh99

I just want to give a tip to all those who need help with key and time signature, basically show the way I do.

For key signature: I usually start picking out notes and eventually I see what key sig it should be in. For example if you have a song with reoccurring Bb and Eb, chances are that that song is in Bb-major/G-minor. A second tip is to see what chord it starts on, if the song also starts on a Bb-major chord, then it is probably in Bb-major (2 flats).

For time signature: Try locating the strong beats and the phrases, often these are played by the bass. In 4/4 it's 1 and 3, in 6/8 it's 1 and 4. try also listen if it's a simple or compound meter, by that I mean if it's a time signature that has 2 8ths (or 16ths) for every beat (simple), or if it has 3 8ths per beat (compound). Examples of simple time signatures are: 4/4, 2/2, 2/4, 3/4. Examples of compound time signatures are 6/8, 9/8, 12/8. It could also be an odd meter, like 5/4 and 7/8. 

You get better hearing this by time, and hopefully can by able to pick up the time and key signatures on your own.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 25, 2016, 08:43:42 AMI just want to give a tip to all those who need help with key and time signature, basically show the way I do.

For key signature: I usually start picking out notes and eventually I see what key sig it should be in. For example if you have a song with reoccurring Bb and Eb, chances are that that song is in Bb-major/G-minor. A second tip is to see what chord it starts on, if the song also starts on a Bb-major chord, then it is probably in Bb-major (2 flats).

For time signature: Try locating the strong beats and the phrases, often these are played by the bass. In 4/4 it's 1 and 3, in 6/8 it's 1 and 4. try also listen if it's a simple or compound meter, by that I mean if it's a time signature that has 2 8ths (or 16ths) for every beat (simple), or if it has 3 8ths per beat (compound). Examples of simple time signatures are: 4/4, 2/2, 2/4, 3/4. Examples of compound time signatures are 6/8, 9/8, 12/8. It could also be an odd meter, like 5/4 and 7/8. 

You get better hearing this by time, and hopefully can by able to pick up the time and key signatures on your own.
^I'm saving this, btw.^
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

12Mari0

Not quite sure b/c of the modulations...
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

BrainyLucario

I need a time and key sig for this song, as well.

12Mari0

I need the time sig for this one instead please...
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.