News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Will to Go On

Started by SlowPokemon, July 17, 2010, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the ending?

It was a suitable finish.
Flawless.
What were you thinking? That was awful.
Not that great; it could have been better.
I still haven't read it.

Jub3r7

I do see the subtle hint...

The only problem is, when I saw chapter 16, and I scrolled to the top to see what chapter it was, I went all the way up to chapter 15.
So I thought there were no new chapters... *Facepalm*
I probably would have noticed it beforehand, but I didn't read chapter 16 until going back to look for the hint...

In other words, I failed. But yeah, I actually really like chapter 16.

Edit: I'm coming up with some characters that would be four years AFTER Ash had his journey...
Although I'm sad that I have to choose between two of them...

Janina - In the anime, owns an Onix and apprentice to Jasmine.
OR Forrest - Brock's little brother, who is the leader of the gym while Brock is gone.
Although Janina was my original idea...

Then Sakura - One of the kimono sisters in the anime; Owns an Espeon and a Beautifly...

And Max - Befriended a Raltz and promised to come back to it, and sometimes battled with May's Munchlax.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Janina
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Forrest
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sakura
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Max
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Jub3r7

We're ready for the next chapter!  ;D

Winter

Dude sweet, Brock's brother has my name, I've never seen my name in a game!!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 28, 2010, 02:31:39 PMWe're ready for the next chapter!  ;D

I will try to write over this long weekend (you probably also have Monday and Tuesday off). However, since I most likely have to work right after school tomorrow, then all day Saturday, and much of the day Sunday, I probably won't get to finishing chapter eighteen till Monday or Tuesday. xP

@WK--What the heck are you talking about. :-|

Not that I don't know, but...Why here? xD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Winter

Brock's brother's name is Forrest, so is my name.

And I said it cause at the top of the page Jub3r7 gave those links, and that's how I found out :/

Jub3r7

Oh, and I only have Tuesday off, Slow. Not Monday...

XD Don't worry about what's convenient for your readers, any time is fine.

DrP

Ok... I actually have a motive to write this weekend (WHAT A CONCEPT)!!!

I am finally balancing the stress out... I do have to write my next presentation on the NASA budget!!! woo!

Jub3r7

SlowPokemon

You will know who the Strange Boy is eventually. It will probably be the last thing you figure out. But I'm pretty sure Will already knows, or he will figure it out shortly.

SlowPokemon

This chapter is mediocre at best, but I couldn't get into a writing mood.

Sorry. :-\

Chapter Eighteen
Coffee Shop Conversations

Karen shivered, inching closer to Aaron as they walked to Mahogany Gym. It was definitely getting colder; it was already Decemberâ€"and Christmas was quickly approaching.

Christmas…

Aaron walked into the Gym alone, relying on nothing but his friends’ “good lucks” for victory.

Will and Aaron entered the local coffee shop in hopes of finding something hot to drink. There was the typical café crowdâ€"a couple chatted happily in one corner. Two businessmen talked earnestly, immersed in conversation. A man sitting by himself stared thoughtfully into a coffee that had been long gone. Another man, this one very young, sipped his favorite coffeeâ€"one that he got every day, in factâ€"while typing on a laptop. Will looked curiously at the screen, but could only make out a few phrases. The words “Aspirations of an Emperor” headed the page, but the rest was blocked and Will felt it would be rude to engage the young man in conversation. Minimized on the screen was a tab that read “NSM Forums â€" Index”. Karen touched Will on the shoulder lightly and asked him what he wanted, breaking him from his thoughts. He and Karen bought a coffee each and sat in a booth together, the pink on their noses the only color on their faces.

â€œHey…” said Will slowly. “Isn’t that…?”

Eusine was buying himself a drink at the counter. He paid the barista and turned around.

â€œEusine!” said Karen, waving. “Over here!”

Eusine grinned broadly and came to their booth.

â€œAh, hello, my friends!” he said happily. “Might I take a seat?”

â€œWe insist,” said Will, and Eusine sat down next to Karen.

â€œSo, friends,” said Eusine, “what brings you here?”

â€œAaron is taking the Pokémon Gym challenge,” said Will.

â€œOh, really?” said Eusine, looking mildly interested. “And you, madam, are all right with that?”

â€œOf course,” said Karen, puzzled. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

â€œWell…I only wondered…” said Eusine, looking as if he wished he had not spoken. “Anyway, all that matters is that we are here, no?”

â€œI suppose,” said Karen. “How goes the search for Suicune?”

â€œAh, not so good, miss,” said Eusine, his smile fading a little. “A sighting here…a sighting there… but they do not connect, if you catch what I throw. I am hunting all over the region… and yet Suicune stays in the same place no longer than a minuteâ€"no longer, I say! It is all very confusing, but I feel that it will be worth it, miss…yes, indeed.”

â€œThat’s good,” said Will, wanting to take part in the conversation. “At least you’re really enthusiastic about what you’re doing.”

â€œThat I am, my friend, that I am,” said Eusine.

Suddenly the PokeGear that was clipped onto Eusine’s pocket started beeping. He jumped and pressed a button on it.

â€œSorry, my friends, but I must go!” he said apologetically, racing out the door with Suicune-like speed. “Till next time, miss!”

â€œBye,” said Karen, but he was already gone.

They sat drinking their coffees for a silent moment.

â€œHe’s always nice,” said Will. “Not a mean bone in his body.”

â€œNot one,” agreed Karen.

They sat in silence for a little longer, then the shop door’s bell broke them from their thoughts. A couple was walking inâ€"Oh, no, thought Will in an annoyed way. Not him again…

â€œWhat do you want, then?” asked the awkward boy with bright blue eyes and a spiral notebook at his side.

â€œI’ll take just a hot chocolate, please,” said Margaret of Goldenrod, her teeth chattering.

â€œRight…” said the Strange Boy. He walked up to the counter and said to the barista, “She’ll have a hot chocolate…and I’ll have…” He scanned the menu in a criticizing sort of way. “…I suppose I’ll have an iced cappuccino,” he said. Both the barista and Margaret looked at him incredulously.

â€œWhat?” he asked self-consciously.

â€œYou’re having a frozen drink? In this weather?” said Margaret, looking at the Strange Boy as if he was crazyâ€"which, Will decided, he already was.

â€œYou know where I’m from,” said the Strange Boy, rolling his eyes. “Besides, I could never turn down an icecap.” He paid the baristaâ€"he looked slightly confused while handling the moneyâ€"and they started to head towards the seating area. The Strange Boy paused at the young man who was typing on the laptop, nodded in acknowledgement and said, “Grapefruit” while smiling in that annoyingly superior way of his.

â€œQuick,” hissed Karen. “Put your head down and act like you don’t notice them.”

Karen herself turned away to look out the window, becoming interested in a bird Pokémon flying overhead.

â€œHey, guys!” called Margaret happily. Karen groaned.

â€œHi!” said Will, forcing himself to smile.

â€œWell, this has been nice, Will,” said Karen, a little pointedly, standing up quickly. “But Aaron’s probably finished with his Gym battle right now.”

She dragged him out of the shop, the Strange Boy looking after her in a thoughtful way.

â€œUgh, that last thing I needed was to talk to him,” Karen said, rolling her eyes.

Will privately agreed, but was too nice to say so.

Aaron was just walking out of the Gym (Will marveled at the fact that he never got to see those battles) and smiled at them.

â€œWhat do you say we head west from here?” he said, and the other two agreed to go into the Ice Path.

â€œSoon I’ll be done with this Gym business,” said Aaron thoughtfully, “and we’ll be members of the Elite Four. Weird, huh?”

â€œYeah…” said Karen. “Weird…”

Thoughts of an approaching Christmas put Karen in good spirits, and she soon forgot about the coffee shop.

Which, of course, was exactly how the Strange Boy wanted it…

Jub3r7

Loving it!  ;D

So...
1. The Strange Boy can read French...
2. Fourth wall breaking FTW.

Meh, you're making me wish that different people from NSM could show up in guest appearances, although this feels like a 1-time thing...
Still, you might say this chapter is Mediocre, but I really did enjoy it.

So, Christmas is approaching...
If I ran up to a random stranger in the Pokemon world and gave them a present, what would be inside the box?

DrP

1) Why?
2) That's NOT the right title!
3) Maybe.

Jub3r7

Explaining what questions you are answering might help?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jub3r7 on November 17, 2010, 07:20:22 PMLoving it!  ;D

So...
1. The Strange Boy can read French...
2. Fourth wall breaking FTW.

Meh, you're making me wish that different people from NSM could show up in guest appearances, although this feels like a 1-time thing...
Still, you might say this chapter is Mediocre, but I really did enjoy it.

So, Christmas is approaching...
If I ran up to a random stranger in the Pokemon world and gave them a present, what would be inside the box?

Hmm. NSM people? I was more thinking about Nik's numerous comments about Starbucks, and how the people there recognized him and got him what he wanted without even really asking him.

...Fourth wall?

And I don't get the Christmas riddle.

I wanted someone to tell me it was bad; that would have given me an excuse to post this:
Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 01, 2010, 01:18:04 PMThe attendant lost it and grabbed him by his shirt collar. She pulled him right up to her face and shrieked, “IT’S HARDER THAN IT LOOKS, YOU LITTLE LIMA BEAN!”

;D

Anyway, if you don't mind spoilers, the very last scene will be a sort of Christmas party.

I'm going to be sad when I finish this; I don't know if I could write anything else as good as it! Dx

Although it would be cool if the Strange Boy popped up in all my stories.

Except that would ruin the effect because at the end of this story you're going to find out who he is.

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

DrP

I never go to coffee shops to work... I usually grab-n-go. It was a nice thought!

Currently, I would be one of the businessmen conversing, not wasting money on something... I have begun to lost my taste for Starbucks... then again, the campus Sbucks is horrible