Submissions General Questions, Comments, etc

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 23, 2010, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

I'll be helping out once I'm done with the semester of school. Just a few more weeks of hell. -___-
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

The Deku Trombonist

Sebastian

Zunawe

If anybody has any idea how to make an accelerando work properly with the smart shape stuff, please tell me. I've used their help and fiddled with it, but it sounds exactly the same no matter what I do to it.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Olimar12345

The accel. expression usually works for me... huh.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

InsigTurtle

Are you guys OK with having more than two staves in some parts of the sheet music to help remove clutter? I can't think of any other way to clear up the overlapping voices.

FierceDeity

Hard to be sure without seeing your arrangement, but I'm pretty sure you have more pertinent issues than visual clutter, haha. I would strongly advise against writing in any way a pianist would be unaccustomed to reading, and I don't know too many used to reading more than two staves at once :P

Check if it's playable (without extreme difficulty), and check if it sounds good (just because you got all of the parts in, doesn't mean they work that way in a piano arrangement. Clashing voices are especially problematic with piano music, because it's all the same timbre). It may turn out that you actually have to take out a voice or two, do something creative with the layers, or simplify one or more voices (for example, as long as the harmony is still clear and present somewhere, harmonizations of individual voices may not be necessary).

Hope that helps!

Zunawe

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 06, 2014, 05:09:09 PMThe accel. expression usually works for me... huh.
See, it accelerates, but not nearly enough, so I started fiddling with the custom shape stuff (which is ridiculously inefficient) and it's not having an effect. It's not a big deal. I'll explain in tinychat next time I see you.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Here, I'll post an image to help clarify what I'm doing.
http://imgur.com/dGBwrBT
It's playable, but it requires some control and both hands would need to share the middle staff. The melody is in the bottom staff, and I believe there's a countermelody in the upper staff. I could mess around with cross staff notes, but I'm not sure if that's the best decision here.

EDIT: I've also done a version crossing staves. It's not as neat as the first one, but it doesn't confuse people with multiple staves.
http://imgur.com/rT0rZeB
I don't want to get rid of the ostinato, and the top voice is still slightly important.

@Zunawe
Are you using executable shapes (with the time scale and level scale)? I

Zunawe

Yes. I've made a positively sloped line going one eighth note right and one bpm up. Then I messed with the level and time ratios. I've also just tried making the increase directly. Nothing I change seems to affect the magnitude of the increase.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Have you already checked the tutorial here? I can't really tell what's going on with your situation. =

The Deku Trombonist

Zunawe: Fixed. The accel. expression works by having a tempo which it needs to end up at, so by not having one it accelerates super slowly. I just made an invisible tempo marking for 260 and put it over the last bar.

rosabellis: Ravel uses 3 staves at times in his music, as do others so it's not unheard of but his music is incredibly complex.
Looking at the pictures you posted, I think the 2 staff option would be better (with some readjusting) for the sake of presentability. I haven't listened to it though, so as Fierce said, the key is how it sounds.

Zunawe

Thanks. They need to make the system better. Is it too hard to just set a starting and ending tempo with a number of beats?

I program things