News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Yugi

Jompa

For tempo just use a metronome.
It is in minor with loads of raised sevenths - you can find the pitch with finale or a piano.
Time signature is 4/4.
Birdo for Smash

Yugi

Jompa

Unless my recorder is out of pitch, it's in E minor.
As for time signature: I would put 3/4, but a lot of people would use 6/8. So just choose:)
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

6/8 makes more sense to me, but Jompa knows what he's talking about. Anyways, that's a really beautiful song, can't wait to see it finished!

SlowPokemon

I'd say definitely 3/4 time, not 6/8, and it is E minor.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 09, 2013, 08:42:47 AMI'd say definitely 3/4 time, not 6/8, and it is E minor.

Definitely? I can see how it's in 3/4 in the beginning, but does it switch to 6/8 at 0:13 or something? (I know it doesn't, I'd just like to know why.)

SlowPokemon

You could theoretically put it in 6/8, but it's a very fast waltz tempo, not a slower 6/8 deal. See how it goes 1-2-3 1-2-3? It's very fast, but it is indeed waltz tempo, which is usually 3/4.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Clanker37

I completely disagree, Slow. I think it's 6/8, since I hear 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 and the beats are definitely on  1 and 3. Although I guess it comes down to personal taste and since I detest fast waltzes... Of course, you could just put it in 6/4 or 12/8 just to shit us all :P

spitllama

Bah I hate using this thread. But lately it feels like any arranging skills I had before are slowly degrading...

I honestly think this is D minor (I've got the time sig)

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 09, 2013, 09:55:03 AMYou could theoretically put it in 6/8, but it's a very fast waltz tempo, not a slower 6/8 deal. See how it goes 1-2-3 1-2-3? It's very fast, but it is indeed waltz tempo, which is usually 3/4.

Yes, but I hear it as triplets, so wouldn't that makes it /8?

Jompa

Quote from: Clanker37 on July 09, 2013, 10:14:58 AMI completely disagree, Slow. I think it's 6/8, since I hear 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 and the beats are definitely on  1 and 3. Although I guess it comes down to personal taste and since I detest fast waltzes... Of course, you could just put it in 6/4 or 12/8 just to shit us all :P
You know, if the beats are at 1 and 3 then it's not 6/8. 6/8 is when the beats are at 1 and 4, but that's probably what you meant.
Actually though, I think you misunderstood Slow and me: you see, we treated your eights as quarters, making half a measure of your 6/8 a measure of 3/4 to us. And that really shouldn't cause trouble with the arrangement, neither is it wrong. Which is why I said one could just choose (you'd have to double the note durations in 3/4 though. I probably should have said that..).
Birdo for Smash

Yugi

oh god have i started another flame war