News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: Dudeman on March 02, 2016, 10:13:52 AMSince the piece is in a sharped key signature, I would recommend using A#'s instead of Bb's.
I don't think that's how it works.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 02, 2016, 12:03:14 PMnay nay my friend. That's not how it works.

Here's what I'd do:
mm. 18 LH: Bb's as written, since it sounds like a lowered fifth rather than a raised fourth.
mm. 18 RH: B natural as written (with a courtesy natural). That is just V - i (easy)
mm. 22 LH: keep the Bb's, since it's an ostinato (a figure that repeats underneath the melody).
mm. 23 RH: keep the A#. Chromatic ascent.

tl;dr (hardly) you had it right the first time.

Hmmmm, that doesn't seem right because of measures 31 & 32. Measure 31 sounds like a Bb major chord and 32 sounds like a B major chord.....unless I have those measures wrong.

Finished sheet:
[MUS]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

\

Just need help with the beginning. How should this be notated? It clearly goes into 3/4 after, but I'm not sure what to do about the beginning bit.
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

I'm not sure in this specific case. But for these kinds of sections I usually try to find the closes tempo + time signature and change if needed to make it as accurate as possible but also not too complicated. I often also try to make the notes on strong beats, unless they feel like they're on a weak beat.
I think it's some sort of 5/4 and then 3/4's and later I think there is a 4/4 as well. You can also write rubato, indicating that the tempo is a bit loose.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

I hear it all as a slightly quicker 3/4 than the rest of the piece, with a ritard towards the end.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 28, 2016, 06:15:19 AMI hear it all as a slightly quicker 3/4 than the rest of the piece, with a ritard towards the end.
I agree; I'm hearing a quicker 3/4 as well.

Also, I kind of have my own question.

In this song, I'm pretty confident that the beginning key sig is Ab major (even though there are some D naturals). The second and third keys that it goes into are where I get a little confused. The original sheet on site (this is going to be a replacement) has the second key as E major, but I was thinking it could range anywhere from A major to B major (in terms of sharps). For the final key signature, The sheet on site has Ab major, but based on the first chord in that key I thought it should be Db major. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mastersuperfan

Can't listen to it right now because I'm not at home, but from memory I can confirm that the first section seems to be Ab major.

I'll check the other sections when I do get home.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

braix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blge4fEHzoo
time signatures?
I thought 4/4(85bpm) and 6/8 but those are just guesses.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

4/4
tempo seems to be around 88
unmotivated

braix

Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

InsigTurtle

Oh, yeah, I've almost completed this one.
It's 4/4 until minute:seconds and then 6/8 until repeat

braix

yay I guessed 6/8 correctly thanks guys

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on March 28, 2016, 02:30:06 AM
\

Just need help with the beginning. How should this be notated? It clearly goes into 3/4 after, but I'm not sure what to do about the beginning bit.
With this track, what do you all think is the rough BPM?
what is shitpost

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book