Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Console: Sega Master System
Title: The Monster's Lair
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

LeviR.star

Looks like I'll be the first to submit a Sega Master System-exclusive sheet to the site! So why not start with one of the best:

(Ignore the crappy US box art, this game is a gem)

Though I've only been familiar with this game for a little over a year, "The Monster's Lair" has since become one of my favorite pieces of VGM ever, and I absolutely had to arrange it. Here's a couple of things I want to draw attention to:

- there are several spots where I think the two hands ought to be articulated differently, but at the moment, slurring the RH against the staccato'd LH only looks right to me in m. 9 & 10. Thoughts on this?
- the high notes in m. 21, 22, 25 and 26 are hard to play at the same time as the melody, so I've kept them sustained where I thought was most appropriate. Do you think I can include the beat 4 re-strikes while the melody sustains?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 06, 2024, 07:07:09 PM- there are several spots where I think the two hands ought to be articulated differently, but at the moment, slurring the RH against the staccato'd LH only looks right to me in m. 9 & 10. Thoughts on this?
I think it looks fine as you have it now, it's pretty clear the R.H. isn't played staccato throughout.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 06, 2024, 07:07:09 PM- the high notes in m. 21, 22, 25 and 26 are hard to play at the same time as the melody, so I've kept them sustained where I thought was most appropriate. Do you think I can include the beat 4 re-strikes while the melody sustains?
Just spitballing some thoughts:
With some weird distrubution between the hands, it's possible for the (very) big-handed to play almost all of these high notes, including the ones you left out (except for only m25 beat 3).
Keeping it in the R.H. though, it doesn't seem feasibly possible to include the ones on beat 4 while sustaining the melody without a pedal. Using a pedal will probably not sound great either because of the L.H. run on beat 4. What I'd maybe do is something I've only very recently started doing in some of my sheets, which is to use small notes to indicate a voice that isn't comfortably playable, and leave it up to the player if they wanna highlight it in some way. I personally probably would leave it out while playing, because it's a bit finnicky to play comfortably, and it doesn't add all that much to the overall arrangement rhythmically or harmonically.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on January 18, 2024, 11:52:13 AMI think it looks fine as you have it now, it's pretty clear the R.H. isn't played staccato throughout.

Gotcha. I gave it another look-over and decided that I shouldn't need the slurs in m. 9-10, so I'm removing them.

Quote from: Bloop on January 18, 2024, 11:52:13 AMWhat I'd maybe do is something I've only very recently started doing in some of my sheets, which is to use small notes to indicate a voice that isn't comfortably playable, and leave it up to the player if they wanna highlight it in some way.

That's funny you should say that, because I've been doing that with some of my other sheets too, and initially planned to do so for these problem notes. I'd be more than happy to go that route if you approve.

Files are updated, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Updated files again with Maestro music font
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Bloop

You could also shrink the other notes that are still technically playable if you want, so it's easier for the player to see that they can leave those out as well if they so wish. Either way, I'll approve!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on January 24, 2024, 04:26:31 AMYou could also shrink the other notes that are still technically playable if you want, so it's easier for the player to see that they can leave those out as well if they so wish.

I think I see what you're onto; I imagine there are some performers who would prefer that, in the likely scenario that they can't hit all of those high notes, they would rather omit them entirely. That makes more sense that what I had before, consider it done.

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 24, 2024, 08:40:46 PMI think I see what you're onto; I imagine there are some performers who would prefer that, in the likely scenario that they can't hit all of those high notes, they would rather omit them entirely. That makes more sense that what I had before, consider it done.
Yeah, that's probably what I would do, looking at this sheet. It's easy enough to omit that layer entirely, so no qualms from me.

Everything looks good here, I just have one suggestion to consider! How about in m. 9-10 LH, instead of beats 3.5-4.5 as they are now, lowering the 16th notes on beat 4 to that range? I think it'd be cool to keep those little flourishes and they fit nicely into the range of the left hand part.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2024, 08:23:28 PMI just have one suggestion to consider! How about in m. 9-10 LH, instead of beats 3.5-4.5 as they are now, lowering the 16th notes on beat 4 to that range? I think it'd be cool to keep those little flourishes and they fit nicely into the range of the left hand part.

Hey, that's a great idea! Preserving those little flourishes is vital, I wish I had thought of that. :P

Files are updated, thank you Latios!

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta