Plans for 2014

Started by Jamaha, January 03, 2014, 10:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamaha

I promised more details on upcoming changes in my previous post, so here we go.

First, I'd like to introduce a new kind of update: Friday's Featured Feature. What is it, in addition to sounding incredibly dumb? Well, let me explain. As you might have noticed, NSM's website itself hasn't changed much in the past few years and it really needs a nice upgrade. There have been attempts to make some fancy new NSM but as you can see, we haven't had much progress.

So, to make this website upgrading progress a bit more painless, I'll try a slightly different approach: making small upgrades to the site on a weekly basis. I'll also be writing a small news post (known as the aforementioned Friday's Featured Feature) explaining the added site feature and some thoughts behind it. The main purpose of this is to split the process into smaller pieces, give me a solid deadline for site upgrades and to finally get the website to this decade. Hopefully the news posts themselves are also of some interest to you.

To give you some kind of idea what kind of features we'll be adding, I'll mention some here (spoiler alert!). The most significant feature is the new sheet admin meant to ease the updating process. With that ready and installed, our updating team should be able to give you guys more frequent updates. The sheet admin is the most important and also the most complex of the upcoming features, so it might take some time before it will be available.

Another upcoming feature are piano performances. Piano performances are a way for you to submit YouTube videos of you playing the arrangements on this site. The submitted videos will be linked to the sheet database and listed in the sheet archive alongside the sheet music. For the people looking for sheet music, it should work as an additional preview feature so you can hear what the arrangements actually sound like when played. If you record videos of you playing, submitting it to the site might be a nice way to get more views.

Once that feature is implemented, we'll be starting a new weekly news post. In the post we'll be featuring all the submitted videos, similar to the traditional sheet updates. Hopefully this small way of promotion ends up being helpful for the pianists performing our arrangements.

Other smaller features and small quality-of-life website upgrades are also expected, but I won't go into any details here yet. We're also discussing small changes to the forums. Some anniversary stuff might also be happening in April.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading and feel free to comment if you have any questions or other comments.

See you next Friday!

Sebastian

JDMEK5

"The wild JDMEK5's anticipation made it shudder!"
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Jamaha on January 03, 2014, 10:44:46 AMAnother upcoming feature are piano performances. Piano performances are a way for you to submit YouTube videos of you playing the arrangements on this site. The submitted videos will be linked to the sheet database and listed in the sheet archive alongside the sheet music. For the people looking for sheet music, it should work as an additional preview feature so you can hear what the arrangements actually sound like when played. If you record videos of you playing, submitting it to the site might be a nice way to get more views.
This is really exciting. :D
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

PatonPiano

Sounds good!!! cant wait!