[DELETED] [MUL] Portal - "Still Alive" (Replacement) by BrainyLucario

Started by Zeta, January 26, 2016, 10:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I'm not sure if it's even supposed to be sung. I think it's more an optional thing since there are lyrics, or it could also be as mark to guide the performer to see where he is if he has heard the song.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 18, 2016, 11:33:38 AMI'm not sure if it's even supposed to be sung. I think it's more an optional thing since there are lyrics, or it could also be as mark to guide the performer to see where he is if he has heard the song.

I literally have no idea what Tobbeh means by this. Anyway, you use the same staff for things that are to be played and things that are to be sung, so make an expression that says "Play" above sections that are to be played, and one that says "Sing" under sections that are to be sung. Also, I would separate all sections that are in harmony in the top staff by layers, then have one layer notated to be played while the other sings (I think I'd put the upper one to be played).

There are still other errors that exist, and I will have to get to those later.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

So basically you want me to write "Sing" above the sections where GLaDOS's lyrics are, and write "Play" where she's not singing, correct?

And you want me to make a whole new layer of the exact same notes so that they play while the person sings, right?
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

JDMEK5

I haven't read much so I apologize in advance if I say anything that has already been discussed or shot down, but here's how I would handle the following issue:
Quote from: BrainyLucario on April 20, 2016, 06:23:42 AMSo basically you want me to write "Sing" above the sections where GLaDOS's lyrics are, and write "Play" where she's not singing, correct?

And you want me to make a whole new layer of the exact same notes so that they play while the person sings, right?
What I would do, right, is make a third staff appear only where the vocal line exists. That way the vocal line has its own line, the piano is clear with its own line, and the vocal line doesn't take any more room than it needs. On top of that, I would use lyrics underneath the vocal line wherever it appears. Essentially you'd have a Piano/Vocal sheet in which the vocal staff is hidden when not in use. It's never been done before I don't think but I'm arranging a sheet now that does this very thing and honestly I think this is a solid solution to the problem. Thoughts?

(In case it needs to be illustrated, here is the sheet I was working on as a sort of model)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Tobbeh99

I think it's a bit overkill to add a third staff. I also think the vocals were added because the arranger "could do it" and because they were quite iconic for the song. I think it's with the lyrics written as they are, then you can sing the song, and play the accompaniment, or just play everything on the piano.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

BrainyLucario

Should I add a poll or something? I'll say my opinion is neutral, so I'm okay with this going either way.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 26, 2016, 10:59:42 AMI think it's a bit overkill to add a third staff. I also think the vocals were added because the arranger "could do it" and because they were quite iconic for the song. I think it's with the lyrics written as they are, then you can sing the song, and play the accompaniment, or just play everything on the piano.
There is no such thing as overkill to a ninja. Other than that first part, I don't think I understand what you're saying. The lyrics to the song were definitely not just put in because "why not?"; they were most certainly deliberate from the get-go.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

BrainyLucario

Quote from: JDMEK5 on April 26, 2016, 10:26:31 AMI haven't read much so I apologize in advance if I say anything that has already been discussed or shot down, but here's how I would handle the following issue:What I would do, right, is make a third staff appear only where the vocal line exists. That way the vocal line has its own line, the piano is clear with its own line, and the vocal line doesn't take any more room than it needs. On top of that, I would use lyrics underneath the vocal line wherever it appears. Essentially you'd have a Piano/Vocal sheet in which the vocal staff is hidden when not in use. It's never been done before I don't think but I'm arranging a sheet now that does this very thing and honestly I think this is a solid solution to the problem. Thoughts?

(In case it needs to be illustrated, here is the sheet I was working on as a sort of model)

Can Finale Notepad do this? Because that's the version I have.

BrainyLucario

JDMEK5

Quote from: BrainyLucario on April 27, 2016, 10:34:04 AMCan Finale Notepad do this? Because that's the version I have.
I know not. Maybe if you can post a text file containing the lyrics then I may be able to whip something off for you.

My Arrangements

BrainyLucario

Do you mean you want me to put the lyrics in a document file like Word or Google Docs?

JDMEK5

Quote from: BrainyLucario on May 10, 2016, 12:28:30 PMDo you mean you want me to put the lyrics in a document file like Word or Google Docs?
Aye.

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

This arrangement seems to still need some significant work. I suggest working on it on your own (and with JDMEK, if that is still going on) before resubmitting it.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!