Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Cave
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sebastian

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

Correct title is "Cave Theme."
Now, the accidentals are very naughty in this piece and I believe I got the key signature right, but I will need help with both accidentals and a key signature verification. Thankfully, this piece is only 6 measures long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLfeX50uBY&;

FireArrow

I feel like putting an accent-tenuto on every note defeats the purpose of the articulation.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Dekkadeci

I personally find that this piece switches ostensible keys so often, and the ostensible keys are so ambiguous, that I'd rather have no accidentals in the key signature.

(Ostensible keys are especially ambiguous when, in Bar 4, the top voice has an A major chord harmony and the bottom voice is definitely playing D minor chord arpeggios.)

Sebastian

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 20, 2016, 04:08:23 PM(Ostensible keys are especially ambiguous when, in Bar 4, the top voice has an A major chord harmony and the bottom voice is definitely playing D minor chord arpeggios.)
I know right? That's what makes this song so weird.
I ended up with the current key signature that I have because I feel that it resolves to D minor (before the 32nd notes). Again, probably not correct, which is why I'm reluctant to do anything about it. :P

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 20, 2016, 04:08:23 PMI personally find that this piece switches ostensible keys so often, and the ostensible keys are so ambiguous, that I'd rather have no accidentals in the key signature.
Hmmmm, interesting idea. I guess we could go with that? If I recall correctly, I think I did that with a previous arrangement of mine. I forget which one.

Quote from: FireArrow on August 20, 2016, 02:41:33 PMI feel like putting an accent-tenuto on every note defeats the purpose of the articulation.
I did that because I wanted the melody to have extra force while moving in a flowing manner. I could use an expression text, but I do not feel that gives it the same promulgation.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on August 20, 2016, 04:31:48 PMI did that because I wanted the melody to have extra force while moving in a flowing manner. I could use an expression text, but I do not feel that gives it the same promulgation.
Maybe try putting the second layer into the left hand staff. I'm not sure how well that would work, but it might allow you to remove those accent-tenutos, because it looks kinda odd.
Also nice post count
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 20, 2016, 04:39:49 PMMaybe try putting the second layer into the left hand staff.
I specifically put it in the right hand for easier reading. I believe it's much easier to read if it's shown along side the melody.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 20, 2016, 04:39:49 PMbut it might allow you to remove those accent-tenutos, because it looks kinda odd.
I mean, I don't see a problem with those accent-tenutos.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 20, 2016, 04:39:49 PMAlso nice post count
Oh dang. I was hoping to get a pic of 6666. Ah, well. Guess we'll wait until 7777. ;)

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on August 20, 2016, 06:10:10 PMI specifically put it in the right hand for easier reading. I believe it's much easier to read if it's shown along side the melody.
I guess.

Quote from: Sebastian on August 20, 2016, 06:10:10 PMI mean, I don't see a problem with those accent-tenutos.
I guess.

Quote from: Sebastian on August 20, 2016, 06:10:10 PMOh dang. I was hoping to get a pic of 6666. Ah, well. Guess we'll wait until 7777. ;)
Lol.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

The Deku Trombonist

Have you considered using shorthand tremolo notation in the last line?

Sebastian

I have, but I honestly don't know which would work better for this sheet. In the Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie sheets I've done, I wrote out the exact note amounts (like I did with this sheet), but in a few of my Animal Crossing sheets, I did the opposite (short-hand notation). Would you prefer short-hand for this particular sheet? It really doesn't matter to me. I wrote out the exact note values and amounts just for the sake of accuracy.

WaluigiTime64

I think you should leave them as is. It's just easier to read.

Latios212

Quote from: Sebastian on August 20, 2016, 06:10:10 PMI specifically put it in the right hand for easier reading. I believe it's much easier to read if it's shown along side the melody.
I mean, I don't see a problem with those accent-tenutos.
I beg to differ. I don't have a problem with cross-staffing here (although I would advise against it), but this bothers me:
Quote from: FireArrow on August 20, 2016, 02:41:33 PMI feel like putting an accent-tenuto on every note defeats the purpose of the articulation.
If you really want the top melody to be emphasized, I really don't think putting an articulation on every note is the best way to go about it. Articulation is good, but when overused, it just clutters things up and loses its value.

Also, last note in first system is misaligned.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 20, 2016, 06:53:12 PMI think you should leave them as is. It's just easier to read.
I agree. I'll leave it as is.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 20, 2016, 07:09:39 PMAlso, last note in first system is misaligned.
Oh, thanks. Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 20, 2016, 07:09:39 PMIf you really want the top melody to be emphasized, I really don't think putting an articulation on every note is the best way to go about it. Articulation is good, but when overused, it just clutters things up and loses its value.
Uggh, fine. I updated it.

Also, accidentals have been okayed by BespinBen:

[6:12:56 PM] Benjamin Persinger: Your spellings are spot on for the DQ cave theme
[6:13:08 PM] Benjamin Persinger: (sans the Eb in m. 5, that should be D#)

Updated files with these 3 things.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot