News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - "Zant Battle" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, July 31, 2021, 06:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMI thought I had commented on Zeila's suggestion but apparently I didn't: I felt like adding it on top would distract too much from what's most audible (the A-G# part), but changing the E-D# in the middle to D-C# does work pretty well! I think you meant something like that too right?
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, sounds good the way you wrote it.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMAren't the piano notes in the original in the lower octave though? I don't hear them in the F#2-A2 range but in the F#1-A1 range, not that far above what it plays in m25. I may still prefer doubling it in octaves anyways, since it's the most audible bass note.
It's hard to tell in the original recording since it gets kinda muddy in that register, but when raising it up an octave in Audacity, I hear the E-Eb as the lowest voice.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMI thought marcato just referred to a stronger attack than a normal accent, and it doesn't have much impact on the length of the note (as I am also using it in the L.H. here). I don't see Gould mention anything else about it either. I also read that marcato symbols usually go above the stave, regardless of stem direction, because of the space, but I guess that doesn't really matter that much in this case. Anyway, I think I'll leave the staccato part in (better safe than sorry, to be extra clear these notes aren't meant to be not-staccato), but I did move them up. I also moved the staccato markings up, so the articulations won't jump up and down.
Ah yeah that's correct, I'm just so used to the jazz definition of it (which is basically hard attack+short) since that's almost all I play these days lol. At any rate, what you have is OK.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMAh yeah you're right, though it's a bit hard to make out the exact notes, but I think it should be this considering the track it's sampled from (this one). I hope this formatting is right too?
I'm actually hearing G-Gb-F-G-etc. there (a 5th above what you have written). That lower voice might be there too, but it's hard to tell. I definitely hear the upper voice though.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMAh yeah, I think 73-74 and 77-78 start closer to the equal tempered E, and 81-82 and 85-86 are a quarter tone higher. Though in isolation I still hear them more as E, I'll move it up a semitone so they're still different. I moved the L.H. up too so it's still in the same key.
In m82 beats 1-2, the LH part actually moves back down a semitone/quartertone, then goes back up on beats 3-4.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMi don't remember anymore but this may be like what i had before i changed it by latios' suggestion? It's really weird how my ear keeps hearing stuff differently. After re-re-relistening to it again, I have something else, but it has a tritone, a perfec fourth, and the Db on top, so I guess this works.
Honestly it's really hard to tell, but listening to your sheet again, it sounds right. I mainly wanted to point out all the chords sound like they were voiced the same way, since before they were all different chords.
I would probably adjust the inner tie in m167 RH though, it looks like it's touching the note there.

Quote from: Bloop on November 19, 2021, 10:40:54 AMI added the sixteenths with smaller noteheads again. I feel like the repeated notes would be a bit more difficult here though because of the tempo (20 bpm more than before)
I think it's still playable, and the performer can leave out those extra notes if they want to anyway. With the added notes though, you might want to redistribute the measures on this page. I think 3 measures per system except for the last one (4 measures) looks fine.

Everything else looks good!

Bloop

Quote from: Static on November 21, 2021, 08:24:17 AMIt's hard to tell in the original recording since it gets kinda muddy in that register, but when raising it up an octave in Audacity, I hear the E-Eb as the lowest voice.
ah yeah now i hear it too. Maybe it's something overtone related. Anyway, I deleted the lower notes!

Quote from: Static on November 21, 2021, 08:24:17 AMI'm actually hearing G-Gb-F-G-etc. there (a 5th above what you have written). That lower voice might be there too, but it's hard to tell. I definitely hear the upper voice though.
Right again, maybe I should've checked audiostretch a bit more for this and the previous point. Fixed though!

Quote from: Static on November 21, 2021, 08:24:17 AMIn m82 beats 1-2, the LH part actually moves back down a semitone/quartertone, then goes back up on beats 3-4.
good catch, that's in the original boss theme too actually. Thanks for spotting that!
Fixed the other things too!

Static

Chatted about some extra things on Discord (changing the bass in m53-54, 73-88, and making the staccato dotted 8ths in m140 just 8ths). I've got nothing more to say on this one, so I'll accept now

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot