Two chords same notes

Started by Parker2334, June 14, 2008, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parker2334

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

MasterPenguin

Parker2334

Can the same notes be labeled as a chord two different ways?
THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Brian

It depends on the chord progression.

@MasterPenguin. Basically a Csus2 and a Gsus4 (second inversion) will sound very similar because they have the same exact notes. A Csus2 uses [C,D,G] whereas Gsus4 (with no chord inversions) is [G,C,D]. See how both of them have the same notes except in a different order where Csus2 is built upon the fourth and Gsus4 is built upon the fifth? This really depends on the chord progression you're using. If you're still confused, maybe a trip to music theory might help.

Sirus

brian you confuse me as always  :P

razer84

okay, i didn't read any of that music theory thing, but wouldn't it sound exactly the same?

damn commies.

FallenPianist

Quote from: Parker2334 on June 15, 2008, 10:56:46 AMCan the same notes be labeled as a chord two different ways?

I think so, if i remember correctly, it's call enharmonics(i'm not sure if it's the correct name, but in french it's enharmonique)

The-Real-Link

Quote from: razer84 on June 15, 2008, 04:43:16 PMokay, i didn't read any of that music theory thing, but wouldn't it sound exactly the same?
No. It would not sound the same because you are playing the same notes, but the voicing is different. Think of it this way, if you play a root C Major chord (C, E, G) and then played the first inversion, (E, G, C) you would be playing the same notes, but because the voicing is different they do not sound the same.

Brian

Quote from: The-Real-Link on June 22, 2008, 05:49:34 PM
Quote from: razer84 on June 15, 2008, 04:43:16 PMokay, i didn't read any of that music theory thing, but wouldn't it sound exactly the same?
No. It would not sound the same because you are playing the same notes, but the voicing is different. Think of it this way, if you play a root C Major chord (C, E, G) and then played the first inversion, (E, G, C) you would be playing the same notes, but because the voicing is different they do not sound the same.

Actually a Csus4 and a Gsus 4 (second inversion) will sound the same. All you're saying is Csus4 and Csus4 (first inversion) will sound different because of the different voicing. We're not talking about the same chords with different inversions. We're talking about what would you label it as if the note order were the same (hence the image he shown). Again Csus2 uses [C,D,G] and Gsus4 second inversion uses [C,D,G]. In this situation what would you use? Csus2 or Gsus4?

Dissonantharmony

to answer your question, yes. but in theory, sus2 chords should not exist at all, except labeled as an inversion of a sus4. those two chords will sound exactly the same, just like the chord composed of d flat, f, and a flat will sound the same as the chord composed of c# e# and g#, but they ARE NOT the same chord. it really depends on the key you are playing in, if there are any modulations happening, and the progression of chords.
Answer your question?

generalmayo

okay okay I get it

chipmunk884

generalmayo, to try and help you, think of it this way.  Even though the two chords have the same notes, depending on what key signature they are in (like c major or g major), they will sound different because of the notes before and after it.  This also applies to using those chords in different chord progressions.  And if you are still confused, a chord progression is the different chords like c major or g major that the song is based on.  Hope that helped!