Title: Mr. Explorer
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: FugalOmen

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

FugalOmen

Here is the link to the original audio file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G_cO51b2Lr3t1im8Ld5Qg6PMzDC3XxAZ

This was written in Finale NotePad, so the formatting is bad and needs to be edited in a fuller version.

nacho2420

Cool tune!

First, the audio is in B minor from your posted link, yet you notated it in Bb minor. Any particular reason for that?

Also, I don't recall what features are limiting in notepad, but if you can, move the top layer to the right hand.

Meas 3 - Check for playability as the range between the triplet and bass notes on beat 4 in meas. 3 make it unplayable. I suggest removing the upper 16ths in the RH to include the LH upper layer as that is more dominant in the piece

Meas 5 - get rid of the 16th rest on beat 4 and change the 16th on the beat to an eighth note. This will match the audio better.

Meas 9 - beat 3, get rid of the staccato. Same with meas 17 and so on. Also consider moving the melody on beat 3 to the lower layer.

Meas 59 watch the high F# on the 2nd partial of the triplet in the RH. It is uncomfortably out of range for a player at this tempo.

Hide any rests from other layers for cleanliness.

Lastly, I can make any edits you see fit if you're unable, just make a list of what you want and I can do that.

FugalOmen

Hi nacho2420,

Thanks for the suggestions. Truth is, the original freeware version of the game comes with MIDI files of the soundtrack which I transcripted from, and the MIDI file for "Mr. Explorer" is in B-Flat Minor and has the 16th rest and 16th note you suggested I replace with a single 8th note, as well as the staccatos in measures 9 and so forth, so I'm reluctant to change those.

As for the high F-Sharp in measure 59, should I move the bottom D up an octave? The pianist can then place his thumb on the lower F-Sharp and it might be easier to make the stretch.

I have put the melody in measures 3-4 in the second voice of the right hand, and should update it soon.

FugalOmen

Quote from: FugalOmenI have put the melody in measures 3-4 in the second voice of the right hand, and should update it soon.

Should be updated now!

nacho2420

Quote from: FugalOmen on June 29, 2018, 12:05:58 PMHi nacho2420,

Thanks for the suggestions. Truth is, the original freeware version of the game comes with MIDI files of the soundtrack which I transcripted from, and the MIDI file for "Mr. Explorer" is in B-Flat Minor and has the 16th rest and 16th note you suggested I replace with a single 8th note, as well as the staccatos in measures 9 and so forth, so I'm reluctant to change those.

As for the high F-Sharp in measure 59, should I move the bottom D up an octave? The pianist can then place his thumb on the lower F-Sharp and it might be easier to make the stretch.

I have put the melody in measures 3-4 in the second voice of the right hand, and should update it soon.

Interesting, if that's the case, looks like the MIDI from the game is different from the audio. You might need to creatively disperse the 3 different lines in meas. 3-4 since playing both lines in the right hand are impossible. For the middle part with the triplets, maybe keep the top notes in the RH and the bottom notes in the LH?

I think moving the D up an octave in m. 59 is good

FugalOmen

The files should now be updated again, with the lower notes in measures 3-4 divided between the two hands, and the D in measure 59 moved up an octave.

Somebody else will have to transpose it into B Minor in a fuller version. I tried myself, but changing the key signature transposes the notes incorrectly, up or down.

nacho2420

It is possible that it isn't transposing correctly because you're using the relative Major (Db) as your key, so changing it to D major (B minor's relative) would be the solution to proper transposing.

I do think it's strange that finale handles both minor and major key transpositions differently (I.E. changing the key from D maj to B min would shift the pitches)

Either way, here's the updated mus with the correct key

FugalOmen

Thanks. I'm currently having a few minor technical difficulties on my end, so it may be a few days before I can update it. Just thought I'd let you know.

FugalOmen

Ugh, Notepad apparently shifted several staccatos during the transposition process. I had to delete the staccatos and re-insert them.

Anyway, technical issues are on the way to being fixed, so I think I'll update the sheet to be in B Minor before my C drive is potentially wiped (I'm not sure if it needs to be yet). The sheet files themselves are being hosted on an external drive.

FugalOmen

Technical issues on my end should be resolved now.

Maelstrom

Since you have notepad, I went and made the changes for you:
m1-2 added an octave harmony to the LH
m27-28 LH removed staccatos as they weren't noticeable or consistent (also in m51-52)
m3 b3 RH changed note to a D
Removed a lot of RH staccatos that weren't noticeable, or in places like m19, changed it to 8th note+16th rest without a staccato
added parentheses around the sharps in m27
Created repeat system to make the sheet a page shorter.
Respaced all systems and measures.
Added an initial dynamic
Fixed the triplet 3s that were colliding with the staccatos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xrodla9mkmztfj/La-Mulana%20%282005%29%20-%20Mr.%20Explorer.mus?dl=1

One final note. Are you sure you want to go through with m3? It's brutal to play as it is. Maybe consider simplifying it a bit there?

FugalOmen

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 05, 2018, 12:23:25 PMSince you have notepad, I went and made the changes for you:
m1-2 added an octave harmony to the LH
m27-28 LH removed staccatos as they weren't noticeable or consistent (also in m51-52)
m3 b3 RH changed note to a D
Removed a lot of RH staccatos that weren't noticeable, or in places like m19, changed it to 8th note+16th rest without a staccato
added parentheses around the sharps in m27
Created repeat system to make the sheet a page shorter.
Respaced all systems and measures.
Added an initial dynamic
Fixed the triplet 3s that were colliding with the staccatos

Hi Maelstrom,

Thanks for taking the time to improve the score.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 05, 2018, 12:23:25 PMOne final note. Are you sure you want to go through with m3? It's brutal to play as it is. Maybe consider simplifying it a bit there?

I assume m3 stands for measure 3? I thought about what to do here and reluctantly decided to remove the low bass notes in m3 to free up the piano and replace them with bass octave harmony. It left a formatting stretch where the staff spacing is wider than it needs to be.

Of course, Notepad can't change staff spacing. Booooo!

FugalOmen

Updated with the changes mentioned in the previous posts to m3.

Maelstrom

Updated the files with the proper spacing for you.

I approve.