News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness -

Started by Zeta, August 17, 2018, 02:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Hidden Land
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: InsigTurtle & Altissimo

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Altissimo

The mid-measure key change is really one of the best options to avoid the double-augmented-unison that would have resulted from doing it at the beginning of the measure.

I know that the "correct" way to notate this would either have been Bbm->Dbm (8 flats) or A#m(7 sharps)->C#m but this has precedent in classical music including schubert, see moment musical no 6 in a flat which goes from AbM->EM (actually FbM). This was originally transcribed as part of my thesis project and originally I had it Bbm->Dbm and the profs were like "just do it to 4 sharps that's easier" so I think I trust the music theory PhDs on this one.

Latios212

Nice work. Key change looks good to me.

I'm personally not much a fan of how the parallel thirds interfere with the melody in places like m. 12-14 but I suppose with enough skill the melody can be brought out, or the performer can choose to omit the parallel thirds, so looks alright to me.

- The parallel thirds are present in beats 1-2 of measure 30 as well. All the other pitches look good to me.
- Although, you may want to think about how you want to denote overlap between LH/RH in m. 24 beat 1 and 27 beat 5.
- The half rest is too close to the slur in m. 8.
- Is there a reason for the slur between the C-Bb in m. 8-9? There's already a slur above that whole phrase.
- Adjust the slur coming into m. 13; it's at a very odd angle.
- Did you mean to reduce the tempo at m. 20? Half note = 56 is the same tempo as the rest.
- Whole rest is misaligned in m. 24.
- Half note is misaligned in m. 28. Drag it to the left of the whole note perhaps so it doesn't collide with the augmentation dot?

Looks great other than that!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

Quote from: Latios212 on August 18, 2018, 01:22:51 PM- Did you mean to reduce the tempo at m. 20? Half note = 56 is the same tempo as the rest.

@_@ finale kept fucking that up when I was trying to work with it, aaaaargh

re: slurs: those were insigturtle's additions, i'll let him respond to that but i'll see what else i can work out, not until like tomorrow night or monday or though

Latios212

Sure, sounds good. Lemme know if you need help (although I'm sure Insig can help resolve that)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Latios212

Awesome, looks great! Just one small thing about m. 28 - did you consider moving the dyad to the left of the dotted whole note to avoid collision with the augmentation dot? There's a pretty big gap between the two layers and the dotted whole note is awfully close to the barline - but if you want to "prioritize" the top layer by keeping it leftmost I understand.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

ah, i forgot to comment about that
i tried moving it that way, but it looked weird to me, so i moved it the other way

Brassman388

It's a good sheet that I haven't listened to yet. From what I read so far, no one has an issue with margins or system spacing so I'll leave those alone for the sake of getting this sheet moving forward.

But I do have some issues with the use of slurs. Here are a few examples.

I'm not pointing out how they aren't functional, which it would be correct how they're being used maybe. But rather, how they look in conjunction with the other notes. It seems just a little cluttering from what I see, but is just a visual preference. On a functional note, I don't see the necessity of having slurs on some of the bottom lines because of the pedal markings. They're going to be naturally connected now matter how you notate them with or without slurs.

InsigTurtle

I was using them as phrase marks, so the performer would be able to interpret the way the melody flows. Although I get your point about the visual effect, I don't find it too cluttering (for piano, at least)

Brassman388

Altissimo

P sure insig saying he doesnt find them too cluttering was a way of saying he doesnt think theres a need to change anything

Brassman388

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle