Series: Other
Game: Octopath Traveler
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Battle II
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

The one theme I've heard by far the most in game. The combination of violin, percussion, and bass carries over to piano really well - was surprised how easy of an arrangement this turned out to be!

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AmpharosAndy

yup all groovy feels good under the fingers yup all groovy
innit

Brassman388

It's a good arrangement.

Minor stuff ahead:

M. 12 - 19; I really like the harmonies that are going on in this section in the melody. Maybe perhaps there's a way to incorporate them into the octave stuff you got here? I like it either way, but the track has an especially nice effect with all those other voices. Dunno. Maybe it won't work with the piano.

M. 37, 42, 46; So I listened to it a couple of times and I hear the half note connected to the eighth note right after it. That, or you could just get rid of the eighth note and give some space for the syncopated eighth, which would work nicely also. Other input as to what other people hear in those measure would be preferred before changing anything for sure.

I think those were the only things that I caught that could possibly matter. Other than that, it's a good looking sheet.

I always hated having to arrange a piano piece from what is essentially a rock song cause there's so much going on that you can't really capture with just a solo piano.

Latios212

Thanks, and thanks for looking!

m. 12-19: You're right I could have done more with the harmonies here :P take a peek now, I've included some.

m. 38, 42, 46: I've thought about it a bit after listening to the original some more, and I prefer to keep it this way. My reasoning is that rearticulating the note on beat 3 emphasizes the quick, sharp descent in the melody on beat 3.5.

This definitely isn't my usual style either :P but I've tried it myself (Maelstrom can attest to this) and I think there's a very high return on quality of sound for how simple it is to play.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

m19-20 I'm not hearing that 8th-whole note tie. Pretty sure it's repeated.

aaaand that's it. Nice job.

Latios212

Thank you!

Do you mean the tie in the melody between m. 18-19? I'm hearing that sustained as I wrote it.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Yep. And I don't hear it. Try listening to the violin? That has a bit of a pulse to it.

Static

This looks pretty good! I shall accept.

EDIT: On Discord, we discussed the ties in the m36 section that Brassman previously pointed out, and Latios explained that the purpose of the repeated note is because the piano cannot sustain notes, unlike the violin, so the tied note wouldn't have the same effect.

For this reason, the repeated note attacks were left in.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot