Game: Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!
Console: Game Boy Color
Title: "g" Rock
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Altissimo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Altissimo

mostly looking for a decent way to notate/playback the bend in the last measure

also the tied note in the bass of m 2-3, when i first transcribed this like 3 years ago i heard a rearticulation but today when checking it sounded held, not sure if maybe there's something to past-me's hearing of it

Khunjund

You can't do a bend on piano, but maybe you could do a double chromatic acciaccatura, like so:
Spoiler

[close]
I think you should flip all your slurs that cover more than three notes to be above the staff, since these are to indicate legato or phrasing, as opposed to the slurring articulation. This would also let you slur all your grace notes to the following main notes with no collision issues. (Also, the slur in measure 11 should start from the main note, not the grace note.)
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Altissimo

Quote from: D3ath3657 on November 29, 2018, 08:32:06 PMYou can't do a bend on piano, but maybe you could do a double chromatic acciaccatura, like so:
Spoiler

[close]

Right, you can't do a bend, that's why I'm looking for the closest analog to it in piano notation. Mostly I guess I'm concerned about whether or not I should be using a single neighbor (as in the version in the OP) or a double neighbor (as you posted) since neither of them sounds quite right to me for some reason. I don't mind doing what you suggested - it sounds passable, when I tried it out - but I'd like a second opinion. I want this to transcribe the sound as accurately as possible even if the bend can't be done, lol.

QuoteI think you should flip all your slurs that cover more than three notes to be above the staff, since these are to indicate legato or phrasing, as opposed to the slurring articulation. This would also let you slur all your grace notes to the following main notes with no collision issues. (Also, the slur in measure 11 should start from the main note, not the grace note.)

This I did fix. (Or at least tried to, Finale is weird about slurs sometimes, so if it doesn't look right let me know.) Thanks for the suggestion!

Libera

Pretty simple piece so there's not a whole lot for me to say.

With regards to the bend, I'd probably do it like this:

You cannot view this attachment.

I think this is a pretty good approximation to the actual rhythm without overcomplicating things.

Quote from: D3ath3657 on November 29, 2018, 08:32:06 PM(Also, the slur in measure 11 should start from the main note, not the grace note.)

I'm curious as to why you suggested this as it doesn't make any sense to me.  This means that some of the grace notes have slurs into the phrase and some don't, even though they sound pretty much identical in the original.

Khunjund

Quote from: Libera on November 30, 2018, 05:13:08 PMI'm curious as to why you suggested this as it doesn't make any sense to me.  This means that some of the grace notes have slurs into the phrase and some don't, even though they sound pretty much identical in the original.

If there are others, I must've not noticed them somehow. I don't think any phrasing slur should start on a grace note.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Altissimo

Well, I went ahead and put slurs from all the grace notes to the following notes, and added Libera's change. It sounds all right. I don't know if there's really a perfect option for it lmao. I just want a close approximation

Libera

Latios212

The bend and slurs look fine to me. Just a few remaining comments:
- Regarding the pickup measure, the tempo marking and dynamic are shifted too much to the right. Also, it'd probably be better to beam the last two notes together instead of the first two given the quarter note beat.
- Is the staccato in m. 13 intentional?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

Quote from: Latios212 on December 08, 2018, 09:52:33 AMThe bend and slurs look fine to me. Just a few remaining comments:
- Regarding the pickup measure, the tempo marking and dynamic are shifted too much to the right. Also, it'd probably be better to beam the last two notes together instead of the first two given the quarter note beat.

Fixed.

Quote- Is the staccato in m. 13 intentional?
Yes. The note clearly terminates with a short break before the following note. I know staccato on a tied note is not standard but a) because it crosses the barline there is not an alternative note value usable and b) if I were to approximate this by tying to a 16th instead of an 8th, then it becomes the only place in the piece where a 16th is utilized, and when possible I try to be consistent on how I mark note values throughout the entirety of a piece (i.e. they should all be either sixteenths or staccato in a piece like this). I have also noticed, in this soundfont/soundtrack in particular, there is a slight difference between, say, a sixteenth and a staccato eighth (the staccato eighth is usually very slightly longer) and because of that I would prefer to keep the more "accurate" of the two.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot