[PS3] Drakengard 3 - "Descendeus" by Libera

Started by Zeta, October 01, 2018, 03:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

And that's the main point. I've been working with Libera as to a solution to make that beat visually agreeable. Yes, tertian theory states cadential figures and yada yada yada. As long as the notes are there I could care less about how they're visually represented just as long as it makes sense for the most part. Music theory is fluid at times, so it doesn't have to necessarily follow older rules if there's no abuse in stretching said rules and if that particular choice is a successful solution.

My point was to change the one interval from an augmented 2nd to a minor 3rd. It's the only spot that has that interval at that specific moment because of the way extended harmonies function. It's not the same as altering a flatted 7th or whatever theory you were trying to flex.

Lastly, it's Libera's choice in the end. Not ours.

Khunjund

Yes, I'm direct when I'm confident that I'm correct. Some things are up to preference, and others are just mistakes; there are plenty of other posts, even ones from staff members, that list areas to fix in a very dry tone, the main difference being that I don't typically start my posts with "This song is great, good job on the arrangement." (Also, I often make my first posts on a thread somewhat hastily, which is something I could improve on.) If you checked my post history, however, you'll also have noticed that I'm always eager to justify in great detail every single criticism I make, and I'm always ready to admit my errors. I never intended to sound condescending, and I apologize to anyone who felt that way, but I do have some level of competence in this domain, and there are things, be they undisputable mistakes or stylistic choices up for debate, that I have convictions about.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 11, 2018, 07:53:27 PMIn the end, though yes it is the goal of the community to help, you have to keep in mind that this is not your sheet.

Indeed, and I apologize to Libera for taking so much space in his or her thread, but as this was over a matter concerning the sheet, I didn't want to use private messages to sort this out, even if it became a lengthy discussion.

Quote from: Brassman388 on October 11, 2018, 10:45:17 PMMy point was to change the one interval from an augmented 2nd to a minor 3rd. It's the only spot that has that interval at that specific moment because of the way extended harmonies function. It's not the same as altering a flatted 7th or whatever theory you were trying to flex.

Well, I'm sorry for being confused by your "harmonies [that] aren't present" when it was just a matter of preferring the appearance of the third interval. To that I respond: music theory can be flexed, but you have to have sufficient reason for doing so; this is a standard tertian chord in a standard tertian environment, and therefore I don't think that visual preference should outweigh harmonic clarity here.

I believe you may have misunderstood me, however, because I don't think I mentioned "altering flat sevenths". I can rephrase my thoughts if I wasn't clear.

Quote from: Brassman388 on October 11, 2018, 10:45:17 PMLastly, it's Libera's choice in the end. Not ours.

That's misleading, because you can simply refuse to upload the sheet to the site until it conforms to your wishes.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Brassman388

Four things then I'm done with you.

You don't have to cater to anyone. What you do have to do is maintain a rapport with the people you're working with especially if you're expecting feedback from either us or other arrangers. From what I and other staff had experienced this is definitely not the case as per Latio's comment. That's the last I have to discuss about your attitude.

By all means, discuss with Libera and see what he/she thinks about your decisions. You're definitely free to do that.

I absolutely hate it when someone has to justify what they're talking about with the lines of, "Oh, I have a degree, I know exactly what I'm talking about." Yes, that's apparent, whether you do or not. I gauge anyone's competence in music with being able to refer to multiple work, multiple styles. If there's a reputable, published sources that would say otherwise, I'm all game. That's also why there were multiple publishing companies in the first place. Because not one company does everything the same. Let me put it bluntly; if you don't like how we regulate our standards go somewhere else. Publish on your own. This site has an enormous history behind it and I stand behind Latios and the site.

Go through some of the older submissions and you'll see that is exactly not the case. Yes, we have disagreements, but the ultimate goal is to publish work.

Libera

Ok this thread took a bit of a nosedive.  Anyway...

I'm currently intent on keeping to the version that's currently uploaded, so if anyone is waiting for me to make changes ... they're not coming as of now.

Latios212

Alright, checking now...

- Most of the rests look fine, but I think m. 1 is the one place where it'd be nice to have the quarter rest on the staff, as the lower layer is entirely below the staff.
- Move the G/F in m. 18 beat 2 a bit further apart.
- I'm hearing beat 4 RH of m. 10 as an A.
- The mf in m. 16 wants a bit more space :P
- Measure 20 is missing a harmony F under the C.
- I'd suggest moving the eighth notes in m. 22 to the upper staff since that first C needs to be played by the RH anyway.
- In m. 31 the high F on beat 2 ascends to a D, not descends to one.
- You could move the beginning of the m. 34 system to the right some to make the measure spacing more consistent with the ones below and prevent the performance note from running outside the margins.
- Half rest is low in m. 45, and notes are flipped in m. 55.
- If the last section is intended to be the voice line, the note in m. 56 should tie over into the next measure (half note, approximately).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I did the things.  Only thing worth mentioning is that in bar 10 it was a little more complicated than you said but it should be right now.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot