News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[SWITCH] Octopath Traveler - "Orewell, Beneath the Crags" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, October 01, 2018, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Octopath Traveler
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Orewell, Beneath the Crags
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Nothing flashy today, just a short and sweet little song~

My performance:

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Such a cute piece! 

-Second chord of bar 2 and the subsequent two chords have octaves below in them that you have omitted.  Playability reasons?  Certainly the first two wouldn't be too hard to play, and the third is doable.  It just seems strange that the bass drops out for those three chords in my opinion.  You then also miss out the B in the bass in the final chord of that first system which changes the inversion of the chord. (V7 -> I sounds different to V7c -> I).
-Final chord of the piece has an E in the bass.  (Same E as before.)
-It seems odd to me that everywhere else you've written parts together (rather than hands together) (e.g. the first bar the top G and then the top F# are played with right hand) but then in bars 8 and 12 you've beamed the bottom part with the melody.  Since everywhere else you're keeping the melody separate I'd continue to do so here.
-I know I'm the last person who should be calling someone out on this, but maybe you should put the minim rest back in for bar 18.

I think that's all I have.  Nice work!

Latios212

Thanks for taking a look!

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 04:15:28 AM-Second chord of bar 2 and the subsequent two chords have octaves below in them that you have omitted.  Playability reasons?  Certainly the first two wouldn't be too hard to play, and the third is doable.  It just seems strange that the bass drops out for those three chords in my opinion.  You then also miss out the B in the bass in the final chord of that first system which changes the inversion of the chord. (V7 -> I sounds different to V7c -> I).
-Final chord of the piece has an E in the bass.  (Same E as before.)
Trying to remember why I decided on this; I was aware of the lower notes when transcribing. I think my conclusion in m. 2-3 was that they made the section sound too heavy (the low notes didn't seem as apparent here), as the LH focus is on the guitar strumming chords here, contrasting with the LH pattern later on that regularly uses lower notes on beats 1/3, and simply having octaves below the chords I have written doesn't add much in terms of sound and just makes it harder to play - the other bottom notes I wrote in have fifths above them instead of an empty octave. Though I suppose m. 4 could use the lower B if you really think so.
As for the last measure, the low E is very subdued compared to the ones before it and similarly I would like to omit it to focus instead on the strummed chord above.

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 04:15:28 AM-It seems odd to me that everywhere else you've written parts together (rather than hands together) (e.g. the first bar the top G and then the top F# are played with right hand) but then in bars 8 and 12 you've beamed the bottom part with the melody.  Since everywhere else you're keeping the melody separate I'd continue to do so here.
The intro's chords are fine to roll with one hand; it's just my personal preference to split them up as such and I leave that choice up to the performer what to do with it. Conversely in m. 8 and 12 the notes are not rolled, and as such I more strongly impose the suggestion that the middle notes be picked up by the right hand to avoid tenths (and augmented tenths).

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 04:15:28 AM-I know I'm the last person who should be calling someone out on this, but maybe you should put the minim rest back in for bar 18.
I don't think this is particularly important, but sure I can put it back :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2018, 02:57:16 PMThough I suppose m. 4 could use the lower B if you really think so. 
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2018, 02:57:16 PMAs for the last measure, the low E is very subdued compared to the ones before it and similarly I would like to omit it to focus instead on the strummed chord above.
For these two places I personally think it's important to get the correct inversion.  I'd definitely add in the B and the E in these two places.  I understand where you're coming from with the final chord in that the E is much quieter, but perhaps you could notate that in? (perhaps a smaller note-head or a dynamic?)  Ending on a third inversion chord really embodies the character of the piece at the end and is something I noticed immediately when listening to the original.
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2018, 02:57:16 PMThe intro's chords are fine to roll with one hand; it's just my personal preference to split them up as such and I leave that choice up to the performer what to do with it. Conversely in m. 8 and 12 the notes are not rolled, and as such I more strongly impose the suggestion that the middle notes be picked up by the right hand to avoid tenths (and augmented tenths).
Are they really fine to roll with one hand?  When I looked at it the only thing I could think of was taking the top note in my right hand like you do in your video.  Still if that's your choice, fair enough.
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2018, 02:57:16 PMI don't think this is particularly important, but sure I can put it back :P
I mean it's not particularly important, but I'd still suggest putting it back in.  It's not like you're cramped for space there.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on October 07, 2018, 03:19:35 PMFor these two places I personally think it's important to get the correct inversion.  I'd definitely add in the B and the E in these two places.  I understand where you're coming from with the final chord in that the E is much quieter, but perhaps you could notate that in? (perhaps a smaller note-head or a dynamic?)  Ending on a third inversion chord really embodies the character of the piece at the end and is something I noticed immediately when listening to the original.
Alright that's fine with me, I'll add them in. Makes perfect sense as a piano arrangement to include them. Notating the subdued E in the last measure is probably more trouble than it's worth so I'll just leave it.

Quote from: Libera on October 07, 2018, 03:19:35 PMAre they really fine to roll with one hand?  When I looked at it the only thing I could think of was taking the top note in my right hand like you do in your video.  Still if that's your choice, fair enough.
Not what I like to do but yeah, you can do them with 5212 or 5321. I think rolling large chords isn't uncommon in classical stuff, either.

Quote from: Libera on October 07, 2018, 03:19:35 PMI mean it's not particularly important, but I'd still suggest putting it back in.  It's not like you're cramped for space there.
Sure thing, added.

Files updated!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2018, 03:30:57 PMI think rolling large chords isn't uncommon in classical stuff, either.
Sure, from a pianistic stand point rolling big chords is fine.  I'm just thinking of the best way to emulate the fast strums of the guitar.  Anyway....

Looks good!

Brassman388

They don't seem too much of a problem since it's just the beginning. May want to experiment with four part writing since the chords are spread out like they are. I can see where it could be effective in the beginning of each bar, but that'll be for next time.

Other than that, no real problems.

Goods to go!

Zeta