News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Arrangement Highlights of 2018

Started by Latios212, December 15, 2018, 09:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

From here

Now that 2018 is coming to an end, what are the arrangements you've made this year that you're most proud of? :P
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

My list, from proud of (5) to most proud of (1):

5. [SNES] Super NES Classic Edition BIOS - "Menu"

4. [PC] Deltarune - "Beginning"

3. [GCN] Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - "Circuit" (Replacement)

2. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - "Nintendo WFC Menu"

1. [Wii] Wii Channels - "Wii Shop Channel"

Honorable mentions go to my on-site Castlevania: The Adventure arrangement project and my Mega Man (1) replacement project.

I choose these because I had fun making them, the sheets turned out really (relatively) good in their first drafts, and I learned a lot getting them accepted (minus "Beginning", which I'll be submitting later). I need to thank everyone here for helping me get these sheets ready, as it has always meant so much.

You'll be posting a list, too, right, Latios?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

This looks fun!  I'm looking forward to seeing what sheets people are proud of.

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 15, 2018, 10:13:13 AM4. [PC] Deltarune - "Beginning"

I haven't had a look at this one yet, but if it's in here I should go check it out!

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 15, 2018, 10:13:13 AMHonorable mentions go to my on-site Castlevania: The Adventure arrangement project

Can confirm; I still think this is great.

I guess I only have half a year's worth of sheets to work with.  :P  I'll hold off on posting it for the time being, since there's a (hopefully) good chance some of my best sheets might be coming out in the next two weeks.  (I think it should be easy to guess what one of the five will be in advance though.)

E. Gadd Industries

I'm just really happy that I've come as far as I have with the Sunshine OST. I still have quite a bit to go, but I feel like I've really grown as an arranger over the course of the 27 I've completed since I first started really focusing on the OST. So ima say the entire OST to the point I currently have reached ^^
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

InsigTurtle

I'm so glad you asked!
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 15, 2018, 10:13:13 AMMy list, from proud of (5) to most proud of (1):

5. [SNES] Super NES Classic Edition BIOS - "Menu"

4. [PC] Deltarune - "Beginning"

3. [GCN] Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - "Circuit" (Replacement)

2. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - "Nintendo WFC Menu"

1. [Wii] Wii Channels - "Wii Shop Channel"

Honorable mentions go to my on-site Castlevania: The Adventure arrangement project and my Mega Man (1) replacement project.

I choose these because I had fun making them, the sheets turned out really (relatively) good in their first drafts, and I learned a lot getting them accepted (minus "Beginning", which I'll be submitting later). I need to thank everyone here for helping me get these sheets ready, as it has always meant so much.

You'll be posting a list, too, right, Latios?
Haha yep I'll have it up later ^^

Yes, the above sheets show just how far you've come in terms of hearing chords and thicker textures :P

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on December 15, 2018, 06:24:25 PMI'm just really happy that I've come as far as I have with the Sunshine OST. I still have quite a bit to go, but I feel like I've really grown as an arranger over the course of the 27 I've completed since I first started really focusing on the OST. So ima say the entire OST to the point I currently have reached ^^
You're doing great :D you've shown a lot of improvement since you started!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

2018 was a year of ending credits themes for me, with three of them making this list:

5. [SW] - Splatoon 2 - Fresh Start
4. [GCN] - Pikmin 2 - Frontier Cavern
3. [WiiU] - Splatoon - Maritime Memory
2. [GCN] - Pikmin - People Who Helped
1. [GCN] - Pikmin 2 - Opening Cinema
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

Here's mine!

5 - Main Theme (Piano) from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Sheet

Mostly just including this due to its size and how I think writing out the virtuoso section turned out well. Other than that, it was a very direct transcription and nothing particularly special in terms of arranging.
[close]

4 - Main Menu from Fire Emblem Heroes

Sheet

I enjoyed playing with the rhythms and figuring out how to indicate the textures I wanted for the different parts of the song. I like how it turned out, as you can see from the performance :P
[close]

3 - Voting Gauntlet from Fire Emblem Heroes

Sheet (not yet submitted)

As with the previous one, it was fun trying to play with the chords and pedalling to contrast between sections and bring out the excitement of the original - again resulting in an awesome cover!
[close]

2 - Tressa, the Merchant from Octopath Traveler

Sheet

I love this song so much, and did my best to mirror the original's journey from restrained and curious to bold and adventurous. (Starting to see a pattern of not fully appreciating my own sheets until they're fully realized in a well-executed performance...)
[close]

1 - Battle II from Octopath Traveler

(I still haven't made a YouTube video of this! 0__0)

Sheet

Strangely, even though this arrangement is so simple, it's definitely the arrangement this year I'm proudest of. Maybe it's because of the simplicity - the original orchestration doesn't seem very well-suited to piano due to its rock-like orchestration, but my carefully deliberated choice of harmonies and accompaniment patterns resulted in an arrangement that actually sounds really good on piano while also staying pretty easy. It's a blast to play and one of the sheets I play most often. (I'll demonstrate with a performance one day once I can record it without messing up!)

Also I just love how the hypermeter makes it fit perfectly on three pages without any spacing concerns whatsoever.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

As promised, here are mine.  (Shameless copying Latios' formatting.)  If you're familiar with my arranging, maybe you can try guessing the sheets and the order before opening them?

5 - ???

"......"

(6 dots, Latios; I made sure!)

Sheet

Although this is pretty much a direct transcription, I was really pleased with how this managed to look on the page and also how I came up with a way to put this onto a sheet without it being extremely confusing.  It also sounds great and is really easy to play, so there's that too. :P

[close]

4 - ???

The Dark Colossus Destroys All

Sheet

The main reason this is here is because of my experience arranging it.  I started it back in October and got completely stuck a little way in, but when I came back to it this month for the twelve sheets project I was able to complete it fully and in a way that I think sounds really good.  It was a really nice to feeling to see that I'd improved that much in only two months and that's the main reason I'm proud of it.

[close]

3 - ???

End of All

Sheet

Most people who have been paying some attention to my arranging will have been able to guess this one's inclusion.  This is here for two reasons:
1. It represents a huge amount of work and I think I got an outcome that sounds and looks good in spite of the original's complexity,
2. I arranged this in my first month of arranging (making it the earliest sheet on the list) and I'm still quite proud of that fact.

A big thanks to Latios, Brassman, mastersuperfan and Maelstrom for help on this sheet after it was initially posted and during the submission process: you guys rock. :)

[close]

2 - ???

Descendeus

Sheet

Despite this sheet's ... somewhat fraught submission process, I still think this is one of my best works.  I started it initially thinking it would be easy, but it quickly became apparent that actually putting it onto piano was going to require some skill and I think I managed to pull it off pretty well.  It's not too hard to play, sounds really nice and reflects the original well (pretty much what I strive for in every arrangement, but I think it worked especially nicely here.)

[close]

1 - ???

Shadowlord

Sheet

I held off on making this post until I'd finished the twelve sheet project primarily because of this sheet.  I've wanted to arrange this for ages, but put it off because I didn't think I'd be able to do it justice.  Honestly, part of the reason I decided to do NieR for the twelve sheets project was so that I could motivate myself to complete this sheet to post at the end of it.  It hasn't undergone any review yet so it might still have some tweaks to be made, but undoubtedly this is the sheet that I am most proud of so far as an arranger.

[close]