[DELETED] [SWITCH] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - "Those Who Stand Against Our Path" by Edgeworth

Started by Zeta, November 17, 2018, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Those Who Stand Against Our Path
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Edgeworth

Dekkadeci

First of all, providing a video makes it easier for all of us to evaluate transcriptions of themes such as "Those Who Stand Against Our Path":

Second, making your transcription fully fit our formatting guidelines, including measure numbers at the starts of systems, would be great for navigating this >100-measure work.

Third, repeat signs showing where the theme loops would be awesome.

Fourth, your "quarter note equals" tempo indication is unreadable because your "Vivace con fuoco" indication overlaps it.

Fifth, I recommend using more ottava lines. Places like Bars 42-44 direly need them, especially since the RH notes in Bar 44 start colliding with the notes in the system above. I generally recommend ottava lines the moment you need 4 ledger lines.

Sixth, your ottava lines look awkward at points. They make notes like the last RH octave span in Bar 30 not look like they're tied when they actually are. I've found this to be a pain on Finale Notepad when transferring from MusicXML, but double-checking that what plays back matches what's on the page is great.

Seventh, in bars like Bar 2 and Bar 4, I'm hearing that the last note in the RH should be a D#, not a G#.

Eighth, I'm hearing that the 2nd RH note in Bar 50 and bars like it should be a D (topmost note is Middle D), not a G.

Ninth, since we're spamming power chords in the LH in this passage, the Ebs in the LH in Bar 56 and bars like it should be spelled as D# and not Eb, especially since you need an E natural later in that bar.

Tenth, the version of Bar 69-76 you have seem to have the momentum sucked out of them because you didn't transcribe enough of the accompaniment. I see you want them to contrast with Bars 77-84, but IMO, the dynamics should provide enough contrast. I'd transcribe the accompaniment drum beats in Bars 69-76 as chord tones in the left hand.

I may provide a fuller critique later--this song's awesome!

Note that these are all for your .mus, which we may be basing your other files on.

Libera

I've fixed the submission thread name.  Also to reiterate I would definitely give the formatting guidelines a look through and make this sheet fit them.  There are a lot of things to be done in that regard, e.g. bar numbers, indent on the first system, composer and arranger information, copyright only on the first page etc etc.

Dekkadeci has give you some other comments to have a look at (thanks by the way!) so definitely address those as well.

Edit: I've also just noticed that your pdf does not match your mus file.  Your pdf must be made from your mus file: this is a requirement for all submissions.

Edgeworth

Thanks for the feedback! I've changed the sheet, but can't edit the finale file, so any problems there still exist. I also can't make the pdf file on finale, so its from musescore. I'll re-submit the sheet in its finished form

Dekkadeci

Now that I know you're working with Musescore, try these when creating your files to submit, especially your .mus:
Trasdegi's "A Help to MuseScore Formatting"

• Download both the most recent template and the most recent XML editor.
  • Copy and paste your Musescore music into the template. Add repeat signs and otherwise edit as necessary.
  • Export a non-compressed MusicXML file from the edited template file.
  • Drag the MusicXML file into the XML editor (note that opening the XML editor will not work). When it's done, your MusicXML file should be edited with the proper formatting.
  • Open your MusicXML file in Finale/Finale Notepad and edit further there as necessary. (I've been able to change notes, shorten ottava lines, add articulation markings, manually add page numbers, and more on Finale Notepad.)

If the resulting .mus file still doesn't meet the formatting guidelines, please reply to Trasdegi's thread.

I like PrimoPDF when creating PDFs based on the .mus.

Libera

Libera

There's still a lot to be done on this sheet, so I'd suggest working on this in your PA thread.  I'm going to archive this now.