[ARCADE] Mamorokun Curse! - "YO-KAI Disco (Hell's Entrance World)" by Maelstrom

Started by Zeta, January 31, 2019, 08:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Mamorokun Curse!
Console: ARCADE
Title: YO-KAI Disco (Hell's Entrance World)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Dudeman

A B S O L U T E   B A N G E R

Any particular reason why you used a D.S. instead of regular repeats? It's a perfectly valid choice but I'm curious.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

I don't like using repeat signs that far away from each other. A D.S. feels more natural and easier to read for the pianist, as D.S. is often used for larger sections.

Static

I really like this song, and your arrangement captures everything that makes the original so catchy and fun to listen to. So yeah, it's great to see this be arranged. I do have a few suggestions though:
  • The official name of this track is "YO-KAI Disco (Hell's Entrance World)", as listed on VGMdb. The same spelling is used for other versions of the track on other CDs that were released later.
  • m1: What you have is all there, but there's an underlying triplet feel with some of the background synths. It might be good to try and incorporate that somehow, but I also think it's fine to leave it as is just for simplicity (even if some of the later sections of the arrangement are pretty tricky).
  • m3-22 RH: The background chord part on beats 2 and 4 of measures 4, 6, 8, etc. should be tenuto (or just unarticulated) instead of staccato. Edit: To clarify, the beat 2 notes should just be quarter notes
  • m7-22 RH: There's a few spots (like a lot of beat 3.5s) that could use some staccato markings. Other parts of the song are more specifically articulated, so I don't think it would hurt to do the same here.
  • m20 RH: I think that you should add an extra beam to that group of grace notes since there's more than 2.
  • m30 RH: In layer 1, I would add a C# half note under the F# and a B# under the G# (there's a cool little chord change there that you don't hear if you just have the notes you currently have).
  • m33 RH: If you want, just move the layer 2 half note on beat 3 down an octave so everything is in reach.
  • m54 RH: The slur in layer 2 looks a little weird at the end.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Static on February 01, 2019, 07:07:16 PMI really like this song, and your arrangement captures everything that makes the original so catchy and fun to listen to. So yeah, it's great to see this be arranged. I do have a few suggestions though:
  • The official name of this track is "YO-KAI Disco (Hell's Entrance World)", as listed on VGMdb. The same spelling is used for other versions of the track on other CDs that were released later.
Changed
  • m1: What you have is all there, but there's an underlying triplet feel with some of the background synths. It might be good to try and incorporate that somehow, but I also think it's fine to leave it as is just for simplicity (even if some of the later sections of the arrangement are pretty tricky).
I'd prefer to leave them out as, while the rest of the song may be tricky, they focus on the main instruments and I don't feel that including the synths carries on that theme.
  • m3-22 RH: The background chord part on beats 2 and 4 of measures 4, 6, 8, etc. should be tenuto (or just unarticulated) instead of staccato. Edit: To clarify, the beat 2 notes should just be quarter notes
Changed
Quote[/li][li]m7-22 RH: There's a few spots (like a lot of beat 3.5s) that could use some staccato markings. Other parts of the song are more specifically articulated, so I don't think it would hurt to do the same here.[/li][/list]
Done
  • m20 RH: I think that you should add an extra beam to that group of grace notes since there's more than 2.
done
  • m30 RH: In layer 1, I would add a C# half note under the F# and a B# under the G# (there's a cool little chord change there that you don't hear if you just have the notes you currently have).
Done
  • m33 RH: If you want, just move the layer 2 half note on beat 3 down an octave so everything is in reach.
Did it for both ones
  • m54 RH: The slur in layer 2 looks a little weird at the end.
Fixed that too

Files updated

Static

Latios212

- https
- m. 26 beat 4.5 RH misaligned
- m. 31-33 - suggest flipping RH layer 1 notes, ties and articulations normally since the second layer is entirely contained within
- Maybe use 4-5-5 systems per page?

I think that's all I've got. Looks pretty neat.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta