News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[NES] Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - "Beginning" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, February 03, 2019, 09:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

Okay, finally getting around to this. Before the three notes in question, I did notice something else:
- m.1-4: The dyads in the RH are actually triads. The bottom notes to the chords are F, E, E, D, D, D.
Now, for the moment of truth:
- m.4 RH, beat 3: The Bb is a Bb.
- m.13 LH, beat 4.5: The Bb is a Bb.
- m. 16 LH, beat 3.25: The Db is a Dn.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Where would we be without Dudeman?™

Quote from: Dudeman on March 15, 2019, 06:49:37 PMOkay, finally getting around to this. Before the three notes in question, I did notice something else:
- m.1-4: The dyads in the RH are actually triads. The bottom notes to the chords are F, E, E, D, D, D.

Ooh, glad you caught that. Didn't notice that since the LH cuts out that triad chord harmony is possible outside of the Famicom version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote from: Dudeman on March 15, 2019, 06:49:37 PMNow, for the moment of truth:
- m.4 RH, beat 3: The Bb is a Bb.
- m.13 LH, beat 4.5: The Bb is a Bb.
- m. 16 LH, beat 3.25: The Db is a Dn.

Fixed these. All hail Dudeman!

Seriously, thanks for the help, and for being able to do this. Files updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Great work guys! This sheet looks fantastic. :) Not to hold this up any longer, but I have one last comment to provide in the vein of final finishing and polishing.

Usually Finale does a decent job at this, but it's sometimes desirable to override the defaults for slur placement (top/bottom) and the flipping of the single-layer notes on the staff. Here's what m. 22-23 look like right now:

You cannot view this attachment.

The ascending D minor runs in the right hand are all the same, but visually there are some differences. Some of this is just due to the beaming and the timing of course, but see how we can make this section look a bit smoother and more consistent:

Now all of the slurs are below the run, better following the ascending contour of each phrase, which is lost when the slurs on top. Additionally I flipped the pair of notes in m. 23 beat 3; this goes against the rule of thumb that says to put the beam opposite the note farthest from the center of the staff, but you'll notice it looks perfectly natural here. You could also do the same in m. 15, as these places have notes that are almost equidistant from the center of the staff anyways:

Similar considerations for m. 16 and 24-25 as well. (I might also suggest moving the left end of the slur in m. 15-16 LH closer to the A on the bottom; they're a bit far as is.)

Sometimes a bit of tinkering can improve the presentation of the phrasing considerably~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Attention updaters: I have given Latios212 permission to edit my files with the above suggestion.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot