Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Bomb Man Stage
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Title of this sheet should be "Bomb Man Stage"

NINJA'D BY LATIOS! (By the way, this sheet looks pretty old. In fact, the on-site PDF URL has the number "1". Can anyone decipher what this means? Is it the first sheet to be uploaded to the site, or just among the first, along with the other Mega Man sheets, to have a URL like it? I need an NSM expert right about now.)
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Fixed the title!

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 16, 2019, 06:35:33 PMNINJA'D BY LATIOS! (By the way, this sheet looks pretty old. In fact, the on-site PDF URL has the number "1". Can anyone decipher what this means? Is it the first sheet to be uploaded to the site, or just among the first, along with the other Mega Man sheets, to have a URL like it? I need an NSM expert right about now.)
This is from before my time :P As far as I know (as is the case now), IDs are just given to sheets in the order they are uploaded. I don't know if it was that way from the beginning, though.

(From the looks of it, this very well could be the oldest sheet on the site xD)

anyway, just peeked at the sheet itself and for the first bit the B naturals should be C flats. They're borrowed from the mixolydian mode

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Started checking some notes and what I said in the above post aside (sorry if that got missed because I edited it in) I'm noticing some spelling inconsistencies. In m. 10 the chord is spelled as E in the LH and Fb in the right hand, and the B chord in m. 12 contains Eb instead of D#. Maybe someone could help me understand the harmonic progression a bit better (because I'm not really sure how things jump around at a glance tonight) then we'll make sure everything makes sense with the key signature!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on June 16, 2019, 06:39:15 PMFixed the title!
This is from before my time :P As far as I know (as is the case now), IDs are just given to sheets in the order they are uploaded. I don't know if it was that way from the beginning, though.

(From the looks of it, this very well could be the oldest sheet on the site xD)

anyway, just peeked at the sheet itself and for the first bit the B naturals should be C flats. They're borrowed from the mixolydian mode
Quote from: Latios212 on June 26, 2019, 07:49:16 PMStarted checking some notes and what I said in the above post aside (sorry if that got missed because I edited it in) I'm noticing some spelling inconsistencies. In m. 10 the chord is spelled as E in the LH and Fb in the right hand, and the B chord in m. 12 contains Eb instead of D#. Maybe someone could help me understand the harmonic progression a bit better (because I'm not really sure how things jump around at a glance tonight) then we'll make sure everything makes sense with the key signature!

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to please re-explain this. Firstly, this sheet is full of B naturals, so I don't really know what you mean when you say the ones "for the first bit". I started by changing all of them but then the chord spellings started to look very wrong. And in your second post, you weren't really all that specific on everything I was supposed to change.

Instead, could you please give me a list of what I need to change so I don't have to guess and waste time? Something along the lines of this:

- all C#'s from m. 3 - 18 should be D flats
- RH G flat on beat 2 of m. 11 should be an F#

This way, I shouldn't have to re-edit something I thought I was doing right. I'm still not at a full understanding of accidentals spelling and I would appreciate the updaters' patience throughout this learning process of mine. Thank you for your understanding.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Hi Levi,

For the first part, I was referring to the first eight measures - sorry if that wasn't clear. This section pretty heavily utilizes the flatted seventh from the mixolydian mode.

As for my other post, I was pointing out some spelling inconsistencies in an attempt to get you to think again about the spelling within each chord (see #4 here). But I was also seeking help out from someone else to help better understand how each chord should be spelled (based on its function in the song) and what the key signature should be, because it wasn't immediately clear to me either. I apologize if that wasn't clear, since I was pretty tired at the time (not a great excuse).

I'm trying to get you to think about how we're writing things here so we can use this as a learning experience - especially since you know this is something you need to improve on. So in that sense, I wasn't trying to give you feedback to blindly implement, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, yeah, if someone else could give a look at the key signature and chord progressions for this one, that'd be super helpful.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on June 30, 2019, 11:31:09 AMAnyway, yeah, if someone else could give a look at the key signature and chord progressions for this one, that'd be super helpful.

Hey guys it's me.

First things first, for a bunch of reasons it would be so much easier if we wrote this piece in C# major rather than Db major.  Generally speaking, 5 flats is a simpler key signature to use than 7 sharps so I see why you picked it, but by using Db major whenever we have to make alterations we end up making the sheet 'more complicated' (double flats) whereas if we use C# major we end up making it 'less complicated' (naturals) if that makes sense.  Furthermore, you actually chose to spell a bunch of your chords this way anyway I assume because the alternative just looked too terrible, even though it was the consistent choice.  That being said, this piece is pretty weird to write out so I don't blame you for finding this tricky.

Here is a file that I've made for you: Hi!  It has updated accidentals that I'm reasonably certain are correct.  It also has the brackets in bars 13-15 fixed (those can be such a pain) and I added a double barline at the segno which you can always revert if you really dislike.  I shouldn't have changed any of the notes so check through it again alongside your old one to make sure, and also it might help you see where mine and your spellings differed which hopefully will be useful for you.

Some things to note that might be helpful:

-As Latios said, in bars 1-9 the Bns (or Cbs had I used flats like you did originally) are flattened leading notes.  You can see this more clearly in bar 8 where its a bVII chord.
-Bar 10-16 we sort of move into E major which is one of the reasons why it's much better to write it out in sharps rather than flats (otherwise it would be Fb major which is why your semiquaver runs looked so strange.)
-The worst part of the piece accidental wise is definitely bar 15 but this is unfortunately a secondary dominant moving to G# major which takes us back to our original tonic chord of C# major so I don't think we can really write it in any other way.  You could forgo the harmony and write it using naturals if you really wanted, but I think it's better like this.
-Thinking about the chords in bars 19-20 as being bVI and bVII borrowed from E major is surely the nicest way to write it, but it does mean we have Cn -> B#s in bar 20 which could be potentially confusing.  Still, the G# major chord has to be written in that way as its the dominant of our key so I think this is the best we can do.  You could maybe add some courtesy accidentals if you're worried about that particular point there.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of giving people files, but I decided that it was going to get really messy to write out everything so that's why I've done it this way.  Something you might like to do is take the advice of changing from Db -> C# and some of the other things and have another go at writing it out yourself.  If you get stuck, you can compare it to my file to see if you're on the right track or not.  Regardless of what you decide to do, if you have any other questions about the spellings and why I did things in a certain way, please do say and I'll be happy to explain further.

The only other thing I noted was that I was hearing different notes for the left hand in bar 20.  I'm hearing the fourth semiquaver as still a C rather than a G and the final two semiquavers as low D#s rather than G#s.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on June 30, 2019, 12:58:49 PMHey guys it's me.

First things first, for a bunch of reasons it would be so much easier if we wrote this piece in C# major rather than Db major.  Generally speaking, 5 flats is a simpler key signature to use than 7 sharps so I see why you picked it, but by using Db major whenever we have to make alterations we end up making the sheet 'more complicated' (double flats) whereas if we use C# major we end up making it 'less complicated' (naturals) if that makes sense.  Furthermore, you actually chose to spell a bunch of your chords this way anyway I assume because the alternative just looked too terrible, even though it was the consistent choice.  That being said, this piece is pretty weird to write out so I don't blame you for finding this tricky.

Here is a file that I've made for you: Hi!  It has updated accidentals that I'm reasonably certain are correct.  It also has the brackets in bars 13-15 fixed (those can be such a pain) and I added a double barline at the segno which you can always revert if you really dislike.  I shouldn't have changed any of the notes so check through it again alongside your old one to make sure, and also it might help you see where mine and your spellings differed which hopefully will be useful for you.

Some things to note that might be helpful:

-As Latios said, in bars 1-9 the Bns (or Cbs had I used flats like you did originally) are flattened leading notes.  You can see this more clearly in bar 8 where its a bVII chord.
-Bar 10-16 we sort of move into E major which is one of the reasons why it's much better to write it out in sharps rather than flats (otherwise it would be Fb major which is why your semiquaver runs looked so strange.)
-The worst part of the piece accidental wise is definitely bar 15 but this is unfortunately a secondary dominant moving to G# major which takes us back to our original tonic chord of C# major so I don't think we can really write it in any other way.  You could forgo the harmony and write it using naturals if you really wanted, but I think it's better like this.
-Thinking about the chords in bars 19-20 as being bVI and bVII borrowed from E major is surely the nicest way to write it, but it does mean we have Cn -> B#s in bar 20 which could be potentially confusing.  Still, the G# major chord has to be written in that way as its the dominant of our key so I think this is the best we can do.  You could maybe add some courtesy accidentals if you're worried about that particular point there.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of giving people files, but I decided that it was going to get really messy to write out everything so that's why I've done it this way.  Something you might like to do is take the advice of changing from Db -> C# and some of the other things and have another go at writing it out yourself.  If you get stuck, you can compare it to my file to see if you're on the right track or not.  Regardless of what you decide to do, if you have any other questions about the spellings and why I did things in a certain way, please do say and I'll be happy to explain further.

The only other thing I noted was that I was hearing different notes for the left hand in bar 20.  I'm hearing the fourth semiquaver as still a C rather than a G and the final two semiquavers as low D#s rather than G#s.

- at this moment in time, because multiple arrangers and updaters have been giving me mixed messages about double barlines, to keep consistency with all of my sheets I'm using them only for tempo and key changes (and very specific time changes). Thank you, though
- thanks for fixing those brackets; they were a pain
- those triangle notes were sorta improvised in m. 20, but I can see how you hear those specific pitches. Changed them accordingly

Thank you very much for going out of your way to provide a file for me. How does the latest draft look now?

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 30, 2019, 02:18:14 PM- at this moment in time, because multiple arrangers and updaters have been giving me mixed messages about double barlines, to keep consistency with all of my sheets I'm using them only for tempo and key changes (and very specific time changes). Thank you, though

No worries, that's fine by me.

I just realised that I might have accidentally moved the glissando in bar 12.  Is it meant to go from the Bn to the Bn?  Other than that, I think that's all I have for this one.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on June 30, 2019, 02:50:54 PMI just realised that I might have accidentally moved the glissando in bar 12.  Is it meant to go from the Bn to the Bn?  Other than that, I think that's all I have for this one.

Yes, it's meant to go from those two notes. At first, I thought you moved it intentionally, so I left it be, but now that I know it was an accident, I moved it back. It's not super important, but it's what I hear in the song.

Files fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Libera

Ah, sorry about that.  I think finale did it when I changed the key for some reason but at least I spotted it.

Anyway, as I said, that's me done here.  Good work!

LeviR.star

Latios212

:P

For what it's worth, I think having double barlines at a segno adds clarity and helps people find it. But it's fine without.

Accept time!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot