Inquiry: what octave is this song (singing) in?

Started by 607, July 27, 2019, 04:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, it's me again!

Is there anyone here who can tell in what octave a human voice is singing? I can usually tell myself, but there's this one song where I can't figure it out: https://youtu.be/3bbgvA70Cjc If I sing it low, the verses seem too low, but if I sing it high, the refrain seems too high... I hope someone can help me out, as every time I sing this song I struggle. :P

Dekkadeci

Yup, just as I suspected from your description of the song,  this song jumps octaves between the verse and the chorus. I'd say the verse starts on the D# below Middle C and the chorus starts on the D# above Middle C. I feel that their tonics are similarly 1 octave apart from each other.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 27, 2019, 10:31:13 AMYup, just as I suspected from your description of the song,  this song jumps octaves between the verse and the chorus. I'd say the verse starts on the D# below Middle C and the chorus starts on the D# above Middle C. I feel that their tonics are similarly 1 octave apart from each other.
I'd say the verse starts on F#, actually, although I suppose you mean the extra note for the extra syllable in the second verse. Low it is, then. That is quite low for the verses!
Edit: I was mistaken! Back when I made this topic, I thought that men and women used the same registers, with bass being the lowest, then alto, then soprano, and tenor being the highest human voice range. This is incorrect, though: tenor is actually a little bit lower than alto! Bass and tenor both sing an octave lower than I thought. Taking that into consideration, starting the chorus on D# above middle C (D#4 in the Young system, D#' in the Helmholtz system), the choruses are actually very high, and the verses aren't low!