Series: Other
Game: Popeye
Console: ARCADE
Title: Music from Popeye
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

Hold on to yer hats, I gotta get through all of them here! Just know that I'm gonna make your search as painless as possible.

Song Timestamps
Title Screen - 0:00

Game Start - 0:16

Stage 1 - 0:24

Bluto Approaching - 0:51

Item Sinking - 1:07

Spinach - 1:22

Bucket Landed - 1:33

Stage 1 Clear - 1:44

Stage 2 - 1:50

Stage 2 Clear - 2:14

Stage 3 Start - 2:21

Stage 3 - 2:28

Stage 3 Clear - 2:55
[close]

Sound Effect Timestamps
Heart 1 & 2 - 1:26

Note - 2:54

Letter - 4:18

1-Up - 7:13
[close]

That's All, Folks!
If you've got any more questions, just let me know.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Looking good, just a few things:
- The rests in m2/4 are pretty low and could be moved back up to their default positions where they're touching the bottom line of the staff.
- I would suggest adding forward repeat bars at the beginning of all themes with repeat signs at the end. Even if they're not strictly necessary, I think they provide better visual clarity on where each track begins and ends.
- I would rather that Stage 3 be moved entirely onto page 5 than be spread over two different pages, even if that leaves some extra white space on page 4. It looks like you have enough space on page 5 for it.
- Is there any particular reason for writing Heart 1 and Note with half=100 instead of q=200? It seems strange to use half=100 for jingles that are only 2 and 3 quarter notes long, respectively.
- I don't think 1-Up should be written in 9/16 because that suggests that the 16th notes are divided in groups of 3 with emphasis on the fourth note (E). I think it would be better to write it in 3/4: two beats with eight 16th notes, where the last 16th note is tied to a quarter note on beat 3.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 28, 2020, 10:36:12 AM- The rests in m2/4 are pretty low and could be moved back up to their default positions where they're touching the bottom line of the staff.
- I would suggest adding forward repeat bars at the beginning of all themes with repeat signs at the end. Even if they're not strictly necessary, I think they provide better visual clarity on where each track begins and ends.
- I would rather that Stage 3 be moved entirely onto page 5 than be spread over two different pages, even if that leaves some extra white space on page 4. It looks like you have enough space on page 5 for it.
- Is there any particular reason for writing Heart 1 and Note with half=100 instead of q=200? It seems strange to use half=100 for jingles that are only 2 and 3 quarter notes long, respectively.
- I don't think 1-Up should be written in 9/16 because that suggests that the 16th notes are divided in groups of 3 with emphasis on the fourth note (E). I think it would be better to write it in 3/4: two beats with eight 16th notes, where the last 16th note is tied to a quarter note on beat 3.

- like that? I think that's what you mean

- I disagree, actually; with final barlines at the end of every finite track and separate sets of measure numbers for multi-system ones, I think the visual ambiguity would be a result of the the performer's unfamiliarity with the sound design from games of Popeye's era.

- as long as you're fine with the extra white space on page 4, that's fine with me. I was debating this a while back myself

- not sure, I think an updater once told me a general rule of thumb was to halve the tempo marking if it went over 190, but I still slip up from time to time. (See, "Spinach" is still 𝅘𝅥. = 200!) Consider it done

- yeah, that 9/16 time signature was a little overboard, switching it to 3/4 is okay with me

Files for this one are updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Some extra stuff:

Title Screen
- m9 beat 4: This sounds like it should be G (bottom line) and F (4th line) instead of B and G.

Stage 2
- This is more of a personal preference, but I think staccato 8th notes on downbeats would be better written as simply staccato quarter notes. When playing, it would sound pretty much identical, but requires less markings to read.

Stage 3 Clear
- Considering the extra space available, I don't think it would be a problem to give this its own section... However it would mean splitting up Stage 3 between pages again. I personally don't see much of an issue just putting the clear theme on page 4 though.

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 28, 2020, 12:26:29 PMI think an updater once told me a general rule of thumb was to halve the tempo marking if it went over 190
This isn't necessarily true, it depends on the style. For latin jazz, marches, or rags, yeah that would make sense. For metal or rock, usually the answer is no, just keep it in (dotted) quarters. For short little sound effects, I would prefer to use quarters as well.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on June 28, 2020, 01:06:34 PMTitle Screen
- m9 beat 4: This sounds like it should be G (bottom line) and F (4th line) instead of B and G.

Stage 2
- This is more of a personal preference, but I think staccato 8th notes on downbeats would be better written as simply staccato quarter notes. When playing, it would sound pretty much identical, but requires less markings to read.

Stage 3 Clear
- Considering the extra space available, I don't think it would be a problem to give this its own section... However it would mean splitting up Stage 3 between pages again. I personally don't see much of an issue just putting the clear theme on page 4 though.
This isn't necessarily true, it depends on the style. For latin jazz, marches, or rags, yeah that would make sense. For metal or rock, usually the answer is no, just keep it in (dotted) quarters. For short little sound effects, I would prefer to use quarters as well.

- listening to the original an octave up, I'm not hearing an F in there at all. Sorry, but that's how I interpreted it

- good point, I'll make that change

- in the interest of keeping everything chronological and the systems spaced/not squished, I personally think that the layout as it is should be fine. "Stage 3 Clear" by itself would be too wide for two systems and two crammed for one, I don't think it would be worth it

Second point of Static's is fixed!

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 28, 2020, 07:58:46 PM- listening to the original an octave up, I'm not hearing an F in there at all. Sorry, but that's how I interpreted it
Ah yeah, I was listening to it normally and it sounded a bit off, but after listening to it again up an octave I can hear what you have.

The rest looks good, so I'll approve.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot