[SWITCH] Fire Emblem: Three Houses - "Life at Garreg Mach Monastery" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, August 30, 2019, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Life at Garreg Mach Monastery
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

This one's a bit long - contains a bunch of variations mainly surrounding one main part. Hopefully I did a good job at making it engaging.

Original sound file link
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

• m29 RH: I would put the G# in layer 1 since thats where the chromatic line in m28 leads to. I think it makes more sense to have it end like that. Also applies to m45.
  • m44 RH: That Dn sounds like its tied to the first 16th note on beat 3.
  • m46 RH: I hear a An on beat 2.5 of layer 2.
  • m58, 60 RH: I think it would be a good idea to fill out the chords on beat 2 of these measures. The chords you chose to fill out I don't think give a complete picture of the harmonies in this section.
  • m97 RH: I don't hear the B on beat 1.5 of layer 2.
  • I would play around with the measure distribution so you don't have to have a 6th page that's mostly empty. 5 measures per system works nicely, with some 4-measure systems for the more rhythmic parts.
  • There seems like a bit too much space at the bottom of page 1.
  • For a piece this long, I would prefer using a D.C. instead of a repeat, but that's just me.

Neat sheet you got here.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on September 07, 2019, 01:16:46 PM
  • m29 RH: I would put the G# in layer 1 since thats where the chromatic line in m28 leads to. I think it makes more sense to have it end like that. Also applies to m45.
I flipped the layers in 29-30 so that layer 1 with the G# points upwards now like the preceding part of the melody..

• m44 RH: That Dn sounds like its tied to the first 16th note on beat 3.
Ah yeah this. Wasn't sure if I wanted to rearticulate it with the piano but it makes sense to tie it. Updated that

• m46 RH: I hear a An on beat 2.5 of layer 2.
Good catch, fixed

• m58, 60 RH: I think it would be a good idea to fill out the chords on beat 2 of these measures. The chords you chose to fill out I don't think give a complete picture of the harmonies in this section.
Good idea. Added those in

• m97 RH: I don't hear the B on beat 1.5 of layer 2.
Pretty sure it's there...

• I would play around with the measure distribution so you don't have to have a 6th page that's mostly empty. 5 measures per system works nicely, with some 4-measure systems for the more rhythmic parts.
Hmm. I thought about it and played around with it some, but I think given how strictly structured this piece is I really wanted to keep the hypermeter so the performer can more easily separate and see parallels between sections. It's also overall not particularly inconsistent with its spacing and keeps a constant pace going. Feel free to disagree with my choice though.

• There seems like a bit too much space at the bottom of page 1.
I spaced out the page 1 systems a bit more.

• For a piece this long, I would prefer using a D.C. instead of a repeat, but that's just me.
Could work, but I wanted to make sure the timing of the pickup back to the beginning was explicitly clear so I think I'll leave it. There aren't any other repeat signs in the piece so I think it's fine

Files updated with the above! Thanks for checking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on September 08, 2019, 10:27:00 AMPretty sure it's there...
Hm, I still don't hear it, at least not in the piano part.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 08, 2019, 10:27:00 AMHmm. I thought about it and played around with it some, but I think given how strictly structured this piece is I really wanted to keep the hypermeter so the performer can more easily separate and see parallels between sections. It's also overall not particularly inconsistent with its spacing and keeps a constant pace going. Feel free to disagree with my choice though.
I still disagree lol, but those are good reasons and I sometimes make that decision myself on some sheets also.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 08, 2019, 10:27:00 AMCould work, but I wanted to make sure the timing of the pickup back to the beginning was explicitly clear so I think I'll leave it. There aren't any other repeat signs in the piece so I think it's fine
Usually it's understood that pickups aren't included in a DC, but it's fine if you want to keep the repeat anyway.

Everything else is all good!

Latios212

Quote from: Static on September 08, 2019, 12:09:57 PMHm, I still don't hear it, at least not in the piano part.
I tried again... I still think it's there. Anyone else wanna have a look?

The other things I get, but think I'll prefer to keep. Thanks again!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

I still don't hear the B lol, someone else should probably take a listen. The other stuff sounds good. I'll be approving this one now.

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on September 08, 2019, 04:31:13 PMI tried again... I still think it's there. Anyone else wanna have a look?

Quote from: Static on September 08, 2019, 04:52:12 PMI still don't hear the B lol, someone else should probably take a listen.

Not doing a full check, but just checking this one thing: the B should be an E I think.  The B comes from a horn, whereas the piano plays E -> D# -> B.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

The only issue big  I could find the the lack of LH notes in m33.
If I follow the harp line exactly, I get this:

Naturally, that note on beat 2.5 can't be played as it's being played by the RH, so adjusting it gives us this:

which is how I would argue it should be written

floating rest in m35? I guess it's up to you if you want to bring it down to earth. Also in m39.
m45 RH - Idk if this was intentional or not, but you have a tied note that both ends and starts 2 different slurred phrases
Maybe align the cresc. and forte in m54/55?
I would argue that the tied note in m58-59 is restruck but I won't argue the issue if you want to keep it.
dynamics in the system of m85 are not in line with each other despite there being nothing in the way and it's bothering me more than it should.

Fix/address this and I think i'll approve probably

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 22, 2019, 04:21:07 PM
That looks and sounds good, I'll use that thanks!

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 22, 2019, 04:21:07 PMfloating rest in m35? I guess it's up to you if you want to bring it down to earth. Also in m39.
I moved them down.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 22, 2019, 04:21:07 PMm45 RH - Idk if this was intentional or not, but you have a tied note that both ends and starts 2 different slurred phrases
Yeah that was intentional kinda. The Dn is tied but it feels like it's the beginning of the following phrase (originally I didn't have it tied)

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 22, 2019, 04:21:07 PMI would argue that the tied note in m58-59 is restruck but I won't argue the issue if you want to keep it.
I think it sounds a little better tied.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 22, 2019, 04:21:07 PMdynamics in the system of m85 are not in line with each other despite there being nothing in the way and it's bothering me more than it should.
Oops. Moved the first one up a bit

Files updated. Thanks for checking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta