News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[NES] Final Fantasy II - "Battle Theme 3 (Unused)" (Replacement) by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, September 25, 2019, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy II
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle Theme 3 (Unused)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

For the record, if it was up to my discretion, I wouldn't have arranged this song because a) this song doesn't actually appear in the game, and b) it's honestly a pretty terrible boss theme ngl. But apparently somebody already submitted it to NSM, so now we gotta replace it.

I'm gonna re-title this one "Battle Theme 3 (Unused)" to fit the naming conventions of Battles 1 & 2, and to also make people aware of its unreleased status.

Static

Once again, nice to see more FF replacements! Cool sheet.

• Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 03:01:17 PMWhile I am personally fine with using smaller staff sizes (and I have done so in the past and still today), Libera has brought to my attention that it's generally good practice to make them at least 85%. Right now, you have them sized at 73%. My general rule for the Maestro font (what you are currently using) is that you shouldn't go below 80% since the noteheads are very tiny compared to something like Engraver. It may seem like a small issue, but it can make a big difference when trying to play it. Just something to think about.
  • m1-3: If you want someone to be able to play this, get rid of the LH part completely and make the lower run the LH, or get rid of the lower run.
  • m1-3: In any case, the accidentals here are a bit inconsistent at spots. Since m1-2 are the same but transposed up a half-step, I would keep the intervals between all the notes the same (for m2 beats 3-4 I changed the D# in the LH to an Eb to fit in the key, and respelled the RH notes accordingly). For m3, since this is just a run downward, I would just make the notes easier to read and avoid double flats/sharps as much as possible. Here's how I would spell the first 3 measures:
    Spoiler
    [close]
  • m8-9 RH: Maybe only keep the top notes on the triplets. At 150bpm, fast dyads like this are incredibly demanding.
  • m18 RH: Slurs or tenutos on those quarter notes would be nice.

That's about all I got on this one.

Libera

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 25, 2019, 04:57:09 PMI'm gonna re-title this one "Battle Theme 3 (Unused)" to fit the naming conventions of Battles 1 & 2, and to also make people aware of its unreleased status.

Quote from: Libera on September 28, 2019, 04:32:34 PMGot this.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 04:15:45 PMm1-3: If you want someone to be able to play this, get rid of the LH part completely and make the lower run the LH, or get rid of the lower run.[/li][/list]
That's fair. Might as well get rid of the LH since it adds so little to the introduction.

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 04:15:45 PM-m1-3: In any case, the accidentals here are a bit inconsistent at spots. Since m1-2 are the same but transposed up a half-step, I would keep the intervals between all the notes the same (for m2 beats 3-4 I changed the D# in the LH to an Eb to fit in the key, and respelled the RH notes accordingly). For m3, since this is just a run downward, I would just make the notes easier to read and avoid double flats/sharps as much as possible. Here's how I would spell the first 3 measures:
Spoiler
[close]
-m8-9 RH: Maybe only keep the top notes on the triplets. At 150bpm, fast dyads like this are incredibly demanding.
-m18 RH: Slurs or tenutos on those quarter notes would be nice.[/li][/list]
Fixed.

Static

Looks and sounds good! I'll be edit: approving (I can't read) now.

Latios212

Quick passing comment: some of the measures are extremely stretched out and you can easily condense things a bit and get rid of the fourth page. I recommend something like this:

You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on October 03, 2019, 05:12:31 PMQuick passing comment: some of the measures are extremely stretched out and you can easily condense things a bit and get rid of the fourth page.
Anything that saves a page is a win in my book. Fixed.

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 03, 2019, 05:28:13 PMAnything that saves a page is a win in my book. Fixed.
well in that case
[close]

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 04:15:45 PM
  • m1-3: If you want someone to be able to play this, get rid of the LH part completely and make the lower run the LH, or get rid of the lower run.
  • m1-3: In any case, the accidentals here are a bit inconsistent at spots. Since m1-2 are the same but transposed up a half-step, I would keep the intervals between all the notes the same (for m2 beats 3-4 I changed the D# in the LH to an Eb to fit in the key, and respelled the RH notes accordingly). For m3, since this is just a run downward, I would just make the notes easier to read and avoid double flats/sharps as much as possible. Here's how I would spell the first 3 measures:
    Spoiler
    [close]
Sorry I'm a bit late here. I think it would be much better to keep the left hand playing the low bass part because:
- It contributes more to the sound than the parallel intervals do, and
- It'd be far easier to play.

Also regarding the spellings, there are a couple of things I don't quite agree with (maybe removing the lower run frees things up a bit). I think it would be better to respell the first note of each sextuplet (and the fifth as well) so that the descent from each previous 16th note is spelled as a minor third instead of an augmented second. Doing this respelling of the double flatted seventh as the major sixth would also mean fewer flats/double flats to read. It would look like this:

Also in the above picture, removing the requirement that the spelling matches that of the lower run in m. 3 allows you to write the chromatic descent in a slightly more natural (not using sharps) way.

(Lastly, I think you typo'd that note I circled.)

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 25, 2019, 04:57:09 PMFor the record, if it was up to my discretion, I wouldn't have arranged this song because a) this song doesn't actually appear in the game, and b) it's honestly a pretty terrible boss theme ngl. But apparently somebody already submitted it to NSM, so now we gotta replace it.
Thanks for this! I really appreciate the effort.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 09:08:37 AM
well in that case
[close]
its perfect

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 09:08:37 AM
well in that case
[close]
Sorry I'm a bit late here. I think it would be much better to keep the left hand playing the low bass part because:

~snip~
Alright, I suppose. And yeah, the spellings are easier now since I don't have to worry about keeping the same intervals between the two runs.

Also, the intervals cause the systems to change slightly? Change it if you think the way I have it is bad or something idk.

Zeta