[MUL] Cave Story

Halloween 2
Zombie

Latios212

Last one from me :P

Pokémon Yellow Version - Jessie & James Appear

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

The Deku Trombonist

I have to say I'm quite disappointed to see you submit an edit of one of my sheets without having made any attempt to get in contact with me. If someone has a problem with a sheet, the usual (and polite) thing to do would be to get in contact with the arranger and discuss it with them. Or if you want to do your own arrangement, then go ahead and do that.

Static

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 16, 2019, 11:30:10 PMI have to say I'm quite disappointed to see you submit an edit of one of my sheets without having made any attempt to get in contact with me. If someone has a problem with a sheet, the usual (and polite) thing to do would be to get in contact with the arranger and discuss it with them. Or if you want to do your own arrangement, then go ahead and do that.

I have made a few edit replacements of other sheets in the past, including another by you, without any issue - I always thought it was fine to do this just as any other kind of replacement. In additon, someone has submitted edit replacements of my own sheets a few times without telling me and there was no issue there either.

But, your original arrangement doesn't really have any issues (in terms of notes, etc.) and mine is just re-arranging it for the most part. I don't think it's as worthwhile an edit as I originally thought now that I'm looking at the sheet again. I'm just going to remove it from this update.

I apologize for not getting in touch, and I'll make an effort to do that in the future for edits (if arranger is still contactable).

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2019, 04:28:44 AMI have made a few edit replacements of other sheets in the past ... I always thought it was fine to do this just as any other kind of replacement.
Yeah I know how things are done around here, even though I don't agree with it. But having been an updater before, I know what it's like and what effect it can have, so I'm not blaming you personally. Just remember that everyone is different and has different wishes, so it's always a good idea to check, even if it's just a courtesy because you're pretty sure what the answer is going to be.

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2019, 04:28:44 AMincluding another by you
Oh? I didn't know about this.

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2019, 04:28:44 AMBut, your original arrangement doesn't really have any issues (in terms of notes, etc.) and mine is just re-arranging it for the most part.
I wasn't suggesting that mine was perfect or anything like that (if there even can be a perfect arrangement). I just don't want my name on something that wasn't my work, or to have things changed without my knowledge.

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2019, 04:28:44 AMI don't think it's as worthwhile an edit as I originally thought now that I'm looking at the sheet again. I'm just going to remove it from this update.
Why call it an edit? It's your arrangement so why not call it as such? Incidentally, I think this is one of those times where the one sheet policy doesn't do this place any favours.

Static

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 17, 2019, 06:35:28 AMYeah I know how things are done around here, even though I don't agree with it. But having been an updater before, I know what it's like and what effect it can have, so I'm not blaming you personally. Just remember that everyone is different and has different wishes, so it's always a good idea to check, even if it's just a courtesy because you're pretty sure what the answer is going to be.
I'll keep that in mind. I can definitely relate to that effect you mentioned since it happened to me before, but I just didn't care too much at the time. At any rate, it might be a good idea to add something this to the replacements guide as well, since inevitably other users will make more edit replacements and like you said, communication with these hasn't been happening - like in this case.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 17, 2019, 06:35:28 AMOh? I didn't know about this.
5 PM from Animal Crossing. To be fair, I didn't change as much stuff in this one. The biggest change was adding the snow and Cherry Blossom Festival variations.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 17, 2019, 06:35:28 AMI wasn't suggesting that mine was perfect or anything like that (if there even can be a perfect arrangement). I just don't want my name on something that wasn't my work, or to have things changed without my knowledge.
Yeah, I know what you mean now, I just misinterpreted it.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 17, 2019, 06:35:28 AMWhy call it an edit? It's your arrangement so why not call it as such? Incidentally, I think this is one of those times where the one sheet policy doesn't do this place any favours.
I started with your original file and made changes from there, so I thought it was more appropriate to call it an edit rather than a rearrangement. It wasn't completely from scratch. I don't think there's enough new material to really call it a rearrangement, but with these kind of older NES/SNES tunes it's a bit harder to judge that since there's less stuff going on usually. If you think it's original enough I can resubmit it just under my own name.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Libera on October 11, 2019, 02:45:08 PMMaelstrom - Cave Story - Running Hell
-In the left hand of bars 18 and 22.  The note that changes is A -> G (compared to the previous bar) rather than D -> C, which is what you've written in.
I am aware. This was actually done intentionally. The real way it should be written is

In this, the top note is lowered, making the chord sound more compressed than before. If you simply invert it, and write it in the same way, the top note stays the same and the bottom note lowers, which makes a larger chord and changes the texture of the progression. I thought long and hard about this. First, I decided against writing it verbatim because that's not not feasible to play. It was hard to decide, but I went with what I wrote because it more accurately captures the original texture even if the notes aren't exact. It's a fudge that I think emulates the original better than writing a pure inversion would.

Quote-I'm struggling to follow the left hand that well in 33 onwards.  I'm guessing the first note in each half bar is a bass note followed by something like the middle voice?  I think there's definitely some inconsistencies going on, like bar 33 should look like bar 37 I think and bar 35 should look like 39.  Also in the final bar, it might make more sense to continue the arpeggio on beat 2 rather than swapping to the bass there.
What I did here was play the bass note to establish the root of the chord being built, and then followed the "middle voice." however ,calling that doesn't feel good because there's 4 voices: the bass line, the melody and the other voice right next to it, and then, finally, the voice I picked out which is exactly in the register I put it in. I relistened and yeah, those inconsistencies were caused by me writing what I heard but once I knew what to look for (referencing what I wrote later) I realized I had misheard it. That has been fixed.

Quote-I think perhaps the layers could be used more consistently to bring across the melody in bars 33-37.  Bars like 34 work well, but 33, 36 and 37 are kind of confusing.
It just gets really messy when both layers are written separately when only one of them plays at once.  Fixed m37 though, as it helps that one.

file updated

Maelstrom

Quote from: Static on October 10, 2019, 10:58:19 PMMaelstrom - Umineko: When they Cry Chiru
- m17-20: The 2nd layer in m21-23 goes just as low as the middle voice in m17-20, so you should just move that part to the RH.
- m17-32 RH: This section would probably look a lot nicer if the 2nd layer was in front of the 1st instead of behind, or if you just moved the 2nd layer further right. Flags and stems seem to get in the way everywhere.
- m38 RH: C# should be a Db (it's a diminished chord, which I think should be spelled using notes in the key preferentially).
- m50 RH: Bn should be Cb.
- m51-52 RH: F#s should be Gbs.
- m53, 62 RH: Bns should be Cbs.
- m54-63 RH: The 2nd layer quarter rests should be moved down to align with m53.
- m83, 85, 87, 89, 91, 93 RH & LH: All F#s should be Gbs, all Bns should be Cbs.
- m85, 89 LH: Ens should be Fbs in this case only; the chord structure is different and serves a different function.
- m94-104 LH: The 16th rests on beat 1 should all be moved up so they don't clash with the 2nd layer.
- m109 LH beat 3.5: Bn should be spelled Cb, and the Dn is actually an Eb.
- https
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying with the first comment. The bracket around the first note in m17 is meant to imply it should be played by the RH.
Everything else has been fixed.

edit: discussed over discord, layer moved to other staff as suggested and files were updated.

Static

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on October 16, 2019, 08:56:04 AMThanks for the feedback! I fixed the spacing and added some harmonies to m. 5-12 that I think are pretty close to the sound of the original.
Looks good!

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 17, 2019, 06:19:25 PMI'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying with the first comment. The bracket around the first note in m17 is meant to imply it should be played by the RH.
Everything else has been fixed.

edit: discussed over discord, layer moved to other staff as suggested and files were updated.
Also looks good!

Maelstrom

My turn

Static

Vim Factory
looks fantastic

Death Match
This is a fantastic song and I'm sad I've never heard it before. It's also a great arrangement, but I've got one little thing - I get why the FFF in m22 is higher, but it looks really weird because its not in line with the crescendo right before it. Do you mind tweaking this a bit to appear more natural?

3D: virtual battler
accepted

Latios

Daijoubu!
The rhythm in b3-4 of m21-28 isn't as complex as the original sounds. Is there intention behind this? Not against the simplification, but you wrote out all the other pattern so I'm just curious.
I'll approve otherwise.

Poltergeist
accepted

Pokegear Radio: Unown
accepted
but what is unown really

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 17, 2019, 07:04:05 PMDeath Match
This is a fantastic song and I'm sad I've never heard it before. It's also a great arrangement, but I've got one little thing - I get why the FFF in m22 is higher, but it looks really weird because its not in line with the crescendo right before it. Do you mind tweaking this a bit to appear more natural?
I've lined that up now.

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 17, 2019, 07:04:05 PMDaijoubu!
The rhythm in b3-4 of m21-28 isn't as complex as the original sounds. Is there intention behind this? Not against the simplification, but you wrote out all the other pattern so I'm just curious.
I'll approve otherwise.
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about what to do with that part. Mostly I think it's the strike on beat 3.25 that's missing, but I wanted to make sure the bass notes were clear and not demand a jump up so quickly. Hopefully it doesn't sound too empty, let me know if you think otherwise.

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 17, 2019, 07:04:05 PMPokegear Radio: Unown
accepted
but what is unown really
yes

Thanks for checking!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on October 06, 2019, 02:10:37 PM
Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 01:36:02 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 06:53:29 PMStatic - Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Death Match
- I hear the 2nd/3rd notes of each sextuplet in m. 17-18 as swapped, so each has the contour of two descending triplets.
I don't hear m17-18 like that, but I'm fine writing it either way. I'm just gonna leave it as is for now.
I'm with latios on this one.

edit: well I screwed up that quote but you get the idea

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on October 17, 2019, 07:30:34 PMYeah, I wasn't too sure about what to do with that part. Mostly I think it's the strike on beat 3.25 that's missing, but I wanted to make sure the bass notes were clear and not demand a jump up so quickly. Hopefully it doesn't sound too empty, let me know if you think otherwise.
nah it's fine
accepting