The NSM top 10 games of the decade 2010-2019 list!

Started by Galactic, November 21, 2019, 04:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic

The decade is coming to a close in just over a month, so I made this thread for members of the NSM community to list their top 10 (or 5, or 20, whatever number ya fancy) games released in the 2010s.  I'll put out my own list in a bit, but I'm posting this up now so if anyone else wants to chime in their favorites they can do so.

mikey

holy smokes how to even remember

uhh

skyward sword
pokemon alpha sapphire
super mario odyssey
dark souls remastered
mario kart 8/DX
splatoon/2
dead by daylight
super mario maker/2
shovel knight
animal crossing: new leaf (welcome amiibo) with funky mode featuring dante from the devil may cry series

I might put these in order later but each one of these games are iconic

neat thread concept though maybe it will drum up activity
unmotivated

Static

There's a lot I could choose from, but I thought it would be fun to pick 1-2 from each year:
2010: Xenoblade Chronicles, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
2011: Catherine, The Last Story
2012: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Bravely Default
2013: Rayman Legends
2014: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight
2015: Axiom Verge
2016: VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartending Action
2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight
2018: Octopath Traveler
2019: Astral Chain

Galactic

I decided to go with my top 7, as it was too hard to narrow things down beyond that.
#7 is:
Spoiler
Super Mario 3D World (2013, Wii U)
With this one.coming on the heels of the Super Mario Galaxy series of games, I was initially somewhat disappointed with it.  But, as time has passed, I've realized it's actually pretty solid and has a ton of content.  It makes for a solid 3D platformer.
[close]
#6 is:
Spoiler
No Man's Sky (2016, multiple systems)
This game is most famous for having one of the most disappointing launches of the decade back in 2016.  The game felt empty, boring, and devoid of features.  However, in the over 3 years since release, the dev team at Hello Games has worked tirelessly to improve this game.  I, and many members of the NMS community, feel that this game has finally reached (and greatly passed)  the original vision of a grand open world, infinitely generated space adventure.  If you're one of the many people who were disappointed by this game's launch in 2016, and haven't picked it up in a while, check it out again.
[close]
#5 is:
Spoiler
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (2014, Multiple systems)
Not much to say about this one.  With the final update coming next month, this will be 5 games for the price of one.  My favorite 2D platformer of the decade, probably all time. 
[close]
#4 is:
Spoiler
Portal 2 (2011, Multiple systems)
This game is amazing.  I love the mind-bending puzzles.
The best part, easily, though, is the multiplayer co-op mode.  The utilization of 2 players is amazing. It will build\destroy friendships.  Not to mention the online level builder has tons of quality levels for multi\single player play to extend the experience.
[close]
#3 is:
Spoiler
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010, Wii)
The follow up to the epic Super Mario Galaxy.  While I prefer the original slightly more, this one's definitely a worthy sequel.  Also, the music is amazing.
[close]
#2 is:
Spoiler
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (2017, Wii U, Switch)
This game mastered the open world genre. It's amazing. There are so many items and areas in this game.  2 and a half years after it came out, I'm still finding Korok seeds and enemy camps whenever I hop on. 
[close]
#1:
Spoiler
Minecraft (2011, Multiple platforms (literally anything))
It's Minecraft.  This is the closest we've come to the perfect video game.  There's so much cont ent and potential to this game, especially with the countless updates it's received over the years.  Nuff Said.
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

I mean, it makes sense, but Minecraft and Portal 2 feel like they came out waaaaay longer ago.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 21, 2019, 07:48:54 PMI mean, it makes sense, but Minecraft and Portal 2 feel like they came out waaaaay longer ago.
right?  Feels like kids were playing minecraft since I was a kid
unmotivated

Dimentio21

In no particular order: Zelda: Breath of the wild, Hollow Knight, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, pikmin 3, A hat in time, Undertale, Super Mario Maker, Rayman Legends. Would have listed super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Paper Mario, but those are from about 2007.
"And I arrive like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!"

Winter

I'll do a top 7 PC games, since I can't be bothered to think more than a few years back

1 Rocket League
2 Planetside 2
3 Factorio
4 A Hat in Time
5 For The King
6 Stardew Valley
7 The Witcher 3

mikey

crazy how people really be skipping over mario odyssey
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

2010: 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
Runners-up: Perfect Dark Remaster (XBLA), Super Meat Boy (multiple)
2011: Pokemon Black and White (DS)
Runners-up: Portal 2 (multiple), LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3), Rayman Origins (multiple), Minecraft (multiple)
2012: Borderlands 2 (multiple)
Runners-up: Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (DS)
2013: The Last of Us (PS3)
Runner-up: DuckTales Remastered (multiple)
2014: Shovel Knight (multiple)
Runners-up: Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3DS), Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (multiple)
2015: Axiom Verge (multiple)
Runners-up: Undertale (multiple), Tales from the Borderlands (multiple)*
2016: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (multiple)
Runner-up: Pokemon Sun and Moon (3DS)
2017: Sonic Mania (multiple)
Runners-up: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (multiple), Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (3DS)
2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)**
Runner-up: Deltarune Chapter 1 (multiple)
2019: Disc Creatures (Steam)
Runners-up: Borderlands 3 (multiple), Pokemon Masters? (mobile)

*I'm counting this as 2015 even though the first episode was released late 2014.
**Technically don't own the game, but I've played it.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

AwesomeYears

Turns out Mother 3 only came out in 2006 so there goes my whole list. Jk, will post a list pretty soon.

Dimentio21

Quote from: mikey on December 31, 2019, 04:57:28 PMcrazy how people really be skipping over mario odyssey

Mario Odyssey was decent at best. Nothing about it was really outstanding. Mario Galaxy is better in almost every way.
"And I arrive like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!"

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dimentio21 on January 01, 2020, 09:39:33 AMMario Odyssey was decent at best. Nothing about it was really outstanding. Mario Galaxy is better in almost every way.

I'm a fan of both games. Why exactly do you say that?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Zeila

It's hard for me to decide overall, so I'll do it per year too

2010: Halo: Reach
2011: Minecraft
2012: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
2013: Pokémon XY
2014: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
2015: Undertale, Crypt of the NecroDancer
2016: Don't Starve Together
2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2019: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Going through Wikipedia made me realize I don't really play that many new games per year. I've yet to play some of the bigger hitters like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or The Witcher 3, and there were 3 years (2013, 2018, and 2019) where I only played the games listed aside from a brief period where I played another one

Code_Name_Geek

These were my top 10 games this decade, arranged by year of release. There's a lack of games from the past few years because I only just got a Switch and I have a backlog of newer games to play, plus I tend to spend a lot of time playing older games as well.

Dragon Quest IX (2010)
Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (2011)
Bravely Default (2014)
Tomodachi Life (2014)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014)
Pokémon Omega Ruby (2014)
Fire Emblem Conquest (2016)
Stardew Valley (2016)
Persona 5 (2017)
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (2017)