News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates - "The Water Maiden" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, December 03, 2019, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem Fates
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: The Water Maiden
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Something from my backlog since I haven't had time to arrange anything new lately. I went through my old sheet and double checked it and cleaned it up a bit.

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

This piece is not as long as I remember it being.  Mostly looks good just some missing harmony as far as I can tell:

-Bar 4 beat 3 RH missing a G.
-Bar 13 beat 1 I feel like there's an extra Bb in the right hand, kind of like in bar 14.
-Bar 15 beat 3 RH missing an F.
-Bar 15 beat 4 RH missing a G.
-Bar 16 beat 1 RH missing an A.
-Bar 16 beat 2 RH missing a C#.
-Bar 17 beat 1 RH missing a C.

Have you considered putting the harmony below the G in bar 12?  Having the consecutive D going into the bar kind of gives a different shape to the original, at least in my opinion.

Also the dyad in bar 4 feels like it's voiced awfully high compared to the original, maybe you could put it down an octave?

Latios212

Thanks for checking!

Quote from: Libera on December 03, 2019, 04:42:35 PMThis piece is not as long as I remember it being.
Yeah, it's just pretty slow. When written out like this it's really not a lot :P

Quote from: Libera on December 03, 2019, 04:42:35 PM-Bar 4 beat 3 RH missing a G.
-Bar 13 beat 1 I feel like there's an extra Bb in the right hand, kind of like in bar 14.
-Bar 15 beat 3 RH missing an F.
-Bar 15 beat 4 RH missing a G.
-Bar 16 beat 1 RH missing an A.
-Bar 16 beat 2 RH missing a C#.
-Bar 17 beat 1 RH missing a C.
Ah dang I missed a lot initially. All sound good, added in

Quote from: Libera on December 03, 2019, 04:42:35 PMHave you considered putting the harmony below the G in bar 12?  Having the consecutive D going into the bar kind of gives a different shape to the original, at least in my opinion.
I thought about this when arranging it initially, and also again now. I agree it would make the melody more apparent, but everywhere else I left all the voices intact in their original octave and I wanted to stick with that for this sheet. (Though, I don't feel SUPER strongly either way so let me know if you really think it's worth changing...)

Quote from: Libera on December 03, 2019, 04:42:35 PMAlso the dyad in bar 4 feels like it's voiced awfully high compared to the original, maybe you could put it down an octave?
Oops, that was just a mistake.

Files updated!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on December 03, 2019, 05:09:22 PMI thought about this when arranging it initially, and also again now. I agree it would make the melody more apparent, but everywhere else I left all the voices intact in their original octave and I wanted to stick with that for this sheet. (Though, I don't feel SUPER strongly either way so let me know if you really think it's worth changing...)

Trying it out on the piano, I think it sounds more natural and more like the original to move the harmony below the G.  Another thing to consider is that for someone not familiar with the tune, it is not clear that the melody even goes to a G in bar 12 as the semibreves have ambiguous layering.  I would really suggest putting the harmony below for those two reasons.

Also, something I forgot to put in the previous post was that you could move the 8va a little more to the left to look neater.

The rest of the changes look sweet!

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on December 03, 2019, 05:22:18 PMTrying it out on the piano, I think it sounds more natural and more like the original to move the harmony below the G.  Another thing to consider is that for someone not familiar with the tune, it is not clear that the melody even goes to a G in bar 12 as the semibreves have ambiguous layering.  I would really suggest putting the harmony below for those two reasons.
Fair enough. I agree it makes the melody more apparent both visually and in terms of sound. I'll update it. Got the other thing too.

New files up!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot