News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - "Rainbow Road" by Zeila

Started by Zeta, April 30, 2020, 04:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart Wii
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Rainbow Road
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Zeila

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Nice to see a single-player sheet of this. Perfect for these times when no one else is around to play...
  • To keep with the 4+4 8th note subdivisions throughout, I would change the dotted half in m1 to a half+dotted quarter.
  • Grace note slur in m9 looks a little weird, maybe flip it or just adjust the curve a bit.
  • I see why you wrote m23-24 the way you did, so that the voice is consistent across the whole part. It just sounds kind empty there because the countermelody gets more prominent right on beat 4.5 of m23. I think it sounds fine though as it is, but if you ever did want to incorporate that other line, that would be a good spot.
  • The F# grace note at the end of m32/beginning of m33 should be a Gb instead (following the Db scale F-Gb-Ab).
  • 8th rest in m46 RH is touching layer 2.
  • If you're gonna use B naturals in m48, the Ebs and Gbs should be D#s and F#s (B major chord). Or make the B naturals Cbs and leave everything else. Also, the dim. should be lowered a little bit.
  • m45-48 seems kinda squished; maybe shortening the ties would help a bit.

Overall really nice sheet, especially the accompaniment pattern in the Db section.

Zeila

Quote from: Static on April 30, 2020, 05:40:41 PMNice to see a single-player sheet of this. Perfect for these times when no one else is around to play...
you mean you haven't found a way to clone yourself yet? and yeah even though this is a popular song, I guess not many people tried arranging it for solo because of all of the different voicings

Quote from: Static on April 30, 2020, 05:40:41 PM
  • I see why you wrote m23-24 the way you did, so that the voice is consistent across the whole part. It just sounds kind empty there because the countermelody gets more prominent right on beat 4.5 of m23. I think it sounds fine though as it is, but if you ever did want to incorporate that other line, that would be a good spot.
That's fair, I just changed a few notes but still kept most of the main melody

• If you're gonna use B naturals in m48, the Ebs and Gbs should be D#s and F#s (B major chord). Or make the B naturals Cbs and leave everything else. Also, the dim. should be lowered a little bit.
I just went with sharps

• m45-48 seems kinda squished; maybe shortening the ties would help a bit.
I tried shortening the ties, and I also changed the pedal marking format to the lines instead

Quote from: Static on April 30, 2020, 05:40:41 PMOverall really nice sheet, especially the accompaniment pattern in the Db section.
Thank you! :> I updated everything else

Static

Maelstrom

m45-48 still looks squished :( I'd recommend going to document>document options>key signatures and uncheck "cancel outgoing key signature" which will remove the flats from the end of the measure and give it a bit more breathing space.

Notes look fine but it's time for me to complain about something you aren't required to fix - 8th note beaming. I'm not going to suggest you should never beam 8th notes in groups of 4. However, there are some situations where I think it would be better to break them. You have 2 scenarios present. The first is a set of 3 8th notes and an 8th rest. Beaming in sets of threes is a trademark of triplets, which this is not, so I would argue it should be 1 8th and a set of 2. The second is beaming over rests. I am usually very strongly against this, especially in places like m16 which should be split up no matter what. Splitting the rest, imo, makes it look nicer as the beams stop dragging down rests (like in m14) and can avoid nasty beams (like m33). This is up to you to decide.

After you respond, I'll accept it.

Zeila

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 10, 2020, 01:32:55 PMm45-48 still looks squished :( I'd recommend going to document>document options>key signatures and uncheck "cancel outgoing key signature" which will remove the flats from the end of the measure and give it a bit more breathing space.
I unchecked it but I personally don't see a difference because there already weren't any naturals to represent the flats changing in my version as well as the pdf, although it might just be a Finale 26 thing? Unless you meant something else

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 10, 2020, 01:32:55 PMNotes look fine but it's time for me to complain about something you aren't required to fix - 8th note beaming. I'm not going to suggest you should never beam 8th notes in groups of 4. However, there are some situations where I think it would be better to break them. You have 2 scenarios present. The first is a set of 3 8th notes and an 8th rest. Beaming in sets of threes is a trademark of triplets, which this is not, so I would argue it should be 1 8th and a set of 2. The second is beaming over rests. I am usually very strongly against this, especially in places like m16 which should be split up no matter what. Splitting the rest, imo, makes it look nicer as the beams stop dragging down rests (like in m14) and can avoid nasty beams (like m33). This is up to you to decide.

After you respond, I'll accept it.
I kept the set of 3 8th notes but I broke up beams over rests. If it's some all or nothing deal then I can change the 3 8th note instances. Thanks for checking it over!

Latios212

Quote from: Zeila on May 10, 2020, 10:56:54 PMI kept the set of 3 8th notes but I broke up beams over rests. If it's some all or nothing deal then I can change the 3 8th note instances. Thanks for checking it over!
In general I'm pretty okay with sets of three 8th notes but here I think it does make sense to split them up because the rhythms are oddly syncopated in this piece and the sheet could use that clarity of where the beat falls. Measure 14 for example just looks kind of weird right now.

Also - the m. 45 system is still rather cramped. If nothing else I would suggest manually bringing the tied notes between beats 2.5-3 closer together and give the rest a bit more breathing room.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on May 15, 2020, 07:25:59 PMIn general I'm pretty okay with sets of three 8th notes but here I think it does make sense to split them up because the rhythms are oddly syncopated in this piece and the sheet could use that clarity of where the beat falls. Measure 14 for example just looks kind of weird right now.
That's fair. I think I got all of them

Quote from: Latios212 on May 15, 2020, 07:25:59 PMAlso - the m. 45 system is still rather cramped. If nothing else I would suggest manually bringing the tied notes between beats 2.5-3 closer together and give the rest a bit more breathing room.
Done, although if it still looks too cramped then I could reduce the staff size

Maelstrom

Nah I think it looks fine.

Great work, accepting

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot