News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Maelstrom's Replacements

Started by Maelstrom, May 31, 2020, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

All updated with each and every suggestion.

mastersuperfan

Encounter - Metal Gear Solid looks good, approved
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI
- Not sure if it got messed up importing into v26 but the Layer 2 tie in m17 RH should be flipped downward.
- The repeat ending numbers should only display "1." and "2." instead of including 3 and 4.
- I think the Layer 1 tie in m33 RH would look better flipped downward, although it's fine if you want to keep it upward.
- m39 dynamic is really close to the barline and could also be moved upward.
- Not super fond of the way m55-56 LH sounds, particularly the fifth on beat 3. I hear where it comes from... I just don't think it sounds great on piano. That's just my take, though.
- D.S. at the end is almost touching the eighth notes on beat 4. (Maybe another v26 import error? I see the last two eighth notes flipped upward, but maybe they should be flipped down instead?)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Encounter
The only suggestion I have would be to make sure the string melody is on top in m25-28 Layer 2; it should be A-A-A-B-C-D. I know this will make the chords less dense in 25-27, but I think adding a crescendo into m28 would work really well as voices get added in.

Maelstrom

Terra's Theme
All changed.

Encounter
I don't hear the As in m25 and 26 at all. Rather, I hear the top being the F and the chord below it being the rest. I did, however, hear it for 27-28 so I added it in.

mastersuperfan

Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI - Last few things that I didn't notice earlier, mostly visual:
- Tempo should be 160 instead of 150.
- Dynamics in m1 and m5 are a bit too far to the left and should be moved right to be aligned with beat 1.
- The quarter rest in m8 RH beat 3 is a little too high for my taste. I think moving it down one increment would look better.
- Finale tends to put repeat ending numbers (m19 and m21) a bit too far to the right; they should be moved left to be aligned with beat 1.
- m32 LH beat 4 should be two eighth notes instead of a triplet.
- Could you add a little bit of space to the beginning of m59 to give the rolled chord symbol some breathing room?

Also, I always thought that there was an eighth note G# on beat 2.5 of m1-4, and the fact that there actually isn't is going to bother me every time I listen to this track from now on.

Maelstrom

Terra
Done and done and done and done and done and done

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 30, 2020, 07:36:40 PMTerra
Done and done and done and done and done and done

nice, accepted

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 30, 2020, 05:40:22 PMEncounter
I don't hear the As in m25 and 26 at all. Rather, I hear the top being the F and the chord below it being the rest. I did, however, hear it for 27-28 so I added it in.
You already have the As in 25 and 26, I was just suggesting that they be the top note (but below Layer 2) rather than C and D, but looking at it again I think it looks and sounds fine.
For m27-28, I also meant that they be the top note but I meant that they should still be below Layer 2, sorry if I was unclear. All of Layer 2 should be below Layer 1, but the top notes in Layer 2 should be A-B-C-D (i.e. move those notes down an octave); hopefully that makes sense.

Maelstrom

Static

Static

Spirit of Avarice
- I actually prefer MasterProX's original LH accompaniment for m29-36, since that's when the drums kick back in, most notably the snare on all the offbeat 8ths. Changing the accompaniment also helps m21-28 contrast more with the surrounding parts.
- Copyright info, page numbers, and page titles are outside the margins; for Page 1 you could probably decrease the space between systems to make this work. The top title/composer/arranger info also seems a little cramped.
- Left side of the tempo marking should be aligned with the left side of the time signature.

Maelstrom

discussed over discord and updated, finally

Static

Spirit of Avarice
Quote from: Maelstrom on December 13, 2020, 12:38:28 PMdiscussed over discord and updated, finally
A few last things:
  • Copyright info and page numbers are outside the margins
  • I think you've made enough changes to warrant an "Edited by" on this one, in my opinion at least. You've made changes to the rhythms and notes, not just formatting/text, so I think it should be noted.

Catastrophe in Bhava-Agra ~ Wonderful Heaven
  • m1-8 LH: Some of those rhythms sound different (more simplified) than what I'm hearing in the original track, but I think they sound fine enough.
  • m10 RH beat 2: This should be eight 32nd notes rather than four 16th notes. I recommend putting some in the LH to make it easier to play.
  • m26 beat 4.5: Maybe add some extra chord tones in both hands to emphasize the sudden key change. Just one note in both hands sounds pretty weak compared to the original.
  • m57 RH: The Layer 1 rhythm is incorrect.
  • If you make every system 4 measures instead of 5, it'll completely fill up that 4th page (and it also looks less cramped).

Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial
  • m1 RH beat 2: Just use a staccato 8th note, it looks cleaner than a 16th + 16th rest and it sounds the same.
  • m3 RH beats 1-2: You should probably beam this like m1 RH, where beat 2 is shown, since it's a similar rhythm.
  • It's kind of hard to hear, but it sounds like the melodic line in m1 and 3 RH continues into beats 1-2 of m2 and 4 RH. It shouldn't just be rests there.
  • m13: Should be a key change to Eb minor here it looks like.
  • m15, 19-20, 27-28 RH Layer 1 should be written like the LH (with ties), since this is 3/4 time.
  • m23 RH Layer 1 should be beamed with ties since this is 3/4 time (beat 3 should be shown).
  • The DC is slightly outside the staff.

Maelstrom

Catastrophe in BA
Quote from: Static on December 15, 2020, 12:59:20 PM
  • m1-8 LH: Some of those rhythms sound different (more simplified) than what I'm hearing in the original track, but I think they sound fine enough.
Yeah, that was intentional

I don't think I like the 32nd notes because they sound more like a smear than actual notes at this speed. The choice there was intentional.

Changed the rhythms in m57 and simplified the faster chords so someone doesn't break their hand restriking a note at lightspeed. 

All other changes made

Spirit of Avarice
Updated as recommended

Lunar Clock
I want to move the D.S. but every time, no matter how I get there, I have the sheet open and the repeat tool selected, finale crashes. Help would be appreciated.
All other changes made, I approximated the m2/4 stuff the best I could. It's really quite hard to hear.