cacabish's Arrangements - Sheetsmas 2022! Day 12: Bug Fables (Again)

Started by cacabish, June 23, 2020, 02:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cacabish

Time for some Animal Crossing! I'm a big fan of the new game, and whilst I believe New Leaf has the best music of the entire series, New Horizons has got some fun pieces too! This one plays while you're exercising with your villagers, which is a fun little daily activity you can do and a nice callback to the original Animal Crossing. Having listened to it for 50+ times, I've wanted to play it on piano and, after not finding an arrangement that was completely accurate, I decided to arrange it myself! :)

And yeah, this one was a bit annoying to arrange because of the narrator's nattering. And there's no version that I could find without it. :(

Day 2:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - "Group Stretching"
[PDF] [MIDI] [MUS] [MUSX]

cacabish

Of course, if you know, I'm a big fan of the Mario Party OSTs, so it was only a matter of time before a Mario Party piece made it's debut this Sheetsmas. And today's the day!

While I can harp on Mario Party 9 for sounding a bit too "New-Super-Mario-Bros-ish" sometimes, the melody here for this piece is nice & simple and loaded with beautiful color tones, making for a nice, well-rounded piano piece... as you admire all the pity points you earned sitting in a car.

Day 3:
Mario Party 9 - "Good Job!"

cacabish

Bug Fables! It's a really fun game with some good music and I've always like Kut's theme. In fact, it was one of the first songs I bought from the in-game music performer and I listened to it in-game for quite a while. I like the minor key and how it just matches his stuck-up, master-chef personality. Enjoy this spicy piece!

Day 4:
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - "Kut it Up!"

cacabish

More Mario Party! I'm always down for more Mario Party, and the early ones have quite the musical charm to them. This is a simple sheet and is already on the site, but in need of replacement, so this might serve as a suitable replacement down the road. Anyway, enjoy! :D

Day 5:
Mario Party 2 - "Adventure Begins"

cacabish

Back to more of Trails in the Sky! Like I said, duplicates were going to be allowed because I'm boring like that. And besides, this game is very recent in my head and the music's great! What more do you want?

This was actually the first piece I arranged from Trails in the Sky, but it kinda just sat around because the cross-staff beaming needed (and still needs) some work. But for now, enjoy this cozy piece!

Day 6:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - "A Cat Relaxing in the Sun"

cacabish

EHHHHH?! What's this??? TWO pieces for today???

Yup! Two versions of the same song! :D This is one of my more favorite K.K. songs (I really should rank them one day...) as I like this kind-of "hymnal" style of music. And, given that it seems this one is sorely lacking in the popularity department, I decided to try my hand at arranging them both as I enjoy both the live version and the aircheck. I might do the music box versions later, but for now, this is good enough.

I will say, I'm sure there's a clever way to use repeats for the live version, but I couldn't find anything I was happy with. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but if I did submit it, it'd be the first thing on the docket to address. Anyway, enjoy this unique Sheetsmas experience of THE DOUBLE!  8)

Day 7:
Animal Crossing - "Mr. K.K."

---

Animal Crossing - "Mr. K.K. (Aircheck)"

cacabish

Even more Mario Party! So much party! This is one of my more-favorite pieces from Mario Party 9. It has generic "Mario music" written all over it with the with the use of the I, IV, V, bVI, and bVII, but it does have a fun Bb/C chord near the end for some nice color. I guess I like it because it has repetition, modulation, build-up, and pure chords -- everything I like! :)

I must confess, I've been sitting on this one for a looooong time because the inner harmony was giving me grief of how to play it. :-\ The piece is remarkably simple, but simple to play in its natural form only with a 3rd hand. So, I've been stumped on what to do with it. I've decided to settle on this configuration for now as a means of breaking the inertia. Am I happy with it? Not really. This will continue to bug me and will almost certainly warrant a reworking in the future. So, if you, dear reader, have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Day 8:
Mario Party 9 - "Be Careful!"

cacabish

Party don't stop. 8)

Ah, Mario Party 4, one of my favorite Mario Party games. I actually did a bunch of Mario Party 4 sheets a while back and... I guess this one slipped through the cracks? It's a pretty simple piece, albeit with some nuance, of course. There's also some inner harmony, but it's really hard to hear for me and I don't think the piece is worse off without it. (That's called "justified laziness," kids.) Enjoy! :D

Day 9:
Mario Party 4 - "Play Mini-Games"

cacabish

Gotta do some more Animal Crossing. :)

So, 3 PM is probably my second most favorite hourly theme in the game, with 6 PM being my absolute favorite for the game (might arrange that one someday). It's bouncy, upbeat, and I think accurately captures a mood of "3 PM" quite well! There were a couple tricky parts with this, particularly near the end, so it'll need some cleanup before submission, plus I also didn't do the "rainy" version, but it's basically the same, with just the bass up 2 octaves (and yes, that does create problems, thank you for asking).

Enjoy! Bonus points if it's 3 PM where you live right now!

Day 10:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - "3:00 PM"

cacabish

One more Trails in the Sky piece for good measure! :)

As I've said before, Trails has got some great music and I've thoroughly enjoyed arranging pieces for it. A lot of the pieces have some serious emotion behind them and serve well in the scenes they're in. This one's not nearly as powerful as "Confession" imo, which I did earlier, but the music box-ness of it hits some feels for sure.

Enjoy your Christmas Eve! :D

Day 11:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - "In My Heart"

cacabish

With all that said, to close out this year's Sheetsmas, I thought about all the different pieces I could arrange/finish for the final day's piece. However, I decided on a simple piece -- the piece that plays when you put your cute bug adventurers to bed -- as I think it's quite fitting. For the poet once wrote:
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"
Indeed. I think that sums up everything nicely. ❤️

Day 12:
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - "Night at the Inn"

With this final piece, I conclude my 2022 Twelve Days of Sheetsmas! :) This year, I found it much easier than last, probably because I had a plethora of mostly-finished pieces lying around compared to last year. That said, who knows what next year will bring? If I post more often, then I'll probably be less likely to participate next year, and vice versa. We shall see.

Thanks to all who took a gander at, offered suggestions on, and enjoyed my submissions! I wish you, your families, and everyone else a very merry Christmas, a happy holidays, and a fantastic New Year! :D