[PC] Umineko When They Cry - "Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor" (Replacement) by McDucky

Started by Zeta, February 04, 2020, 03:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Umineko When They Cry
Console: PC
Title: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: McDucky

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Edit (existing arranger remains)

[attachment deleted by admin]

McDucky

I felt that the piece felt a bit empty when reduced to only two voices. 
Additionally I think that the # in the title should be changed to the more conventional No.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

My red truth for the title is as follows:

Straight from the sound test of the steam release.

Some notes:
B3 and 3.5 of the m15 LH should be an octave lower, and m21-23 LH should be an octave later. I don't see myself being convinced otherwise.
I'd recommend either putting layer 2 of m7-8 in the LH or making a marking to play it with the LH. I can see people getting confused because the first few notes are playable without passing notes to the other hand but then it suddenly isn't.
In addition, m12 is a crime against fingers. The stretches are beyond absurd. Either pass some notes to the other hand, fiddle with octaves, or both.
Otherwise, you did a pretty solid job of fixing up one of my older sheets.

McDucky

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 21, 2020, 07:45:13 PMStraight from the sound test of the steam release.
I totally forgot there's an official translation now. I guess I'll have to address my angry letter to Witch Hunt instead...

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 21, 2020, 07:45:13 PMB3 and 3.5 of the m15 LH should be an octave lower, and m21-23 LH should be an octave later.
Later? Do you mean lower?
But yes, that seems to be the way to go. 

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 21, 2020, 07:45:13 PMI'd recommend either putting layer 2 of m7-8 in the LH or making a marking to play it with the LH.
I'll do that. I'm just too used to scores that doesn't prioritise performance instructions that much. 

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 21, 2020, 07:45:13 PMm12 is a crime against fingers.
I'll make it friendlier, but I'd like to at least leave it as an option for those who can play it (in LH of course).

I should have some time to work on it this weekend.

McDucky

I have updated the sheet with LH notes in the bass clef and RH notes in the treble clef as well as the octave shifts.   
As for the hand-stretchy parts, I'm wondering if something like this would work.

Maelstrom

Someone else can say if that's proper notation better than I, but it looks fine for me. Just know that the first note of that measure needs to be included.
Alternatively, I tried and am able to play it on piano so you could maybe parenthesis around the e and d so that people who can play them would and people with small hands wouldn't or something.

otherwise looks great, post again and I'll approve.

Latios212

I have to say that's pretty odd-looking, but easy to understand, so no complaints from me for that image. Though should the bracket cover beat 1 as well?

Also while I'm peeking - there are a few things out of place:
- Second half of m. 6 LH flipped
- Staccato in m. 8 LH
- Staccato in m. 9 RH (could go above)
- Raise the quarter test in 16 a bit so it doesn't conflict with the lower layer visually
- Would suggest giving the D on beat 3 in m. 21 more space. Maybe even moving it to the left of the C in the lower layer
- Eighth rest in m. 23 LH should be at its normal position

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

McDucky

I've uploaded my latest version, taking into account Latios' points and including ossias in two places. I kept the first one consistent with the one in the image I posted, even if it's just for one note. Let me know if you think a more compact notation would be preferable. 
If it'd written out full floating ossia measures they'd have to be crammed into a very small space or a full second page would have to be added.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 26, 2020, 03:52:37 PMThough should the bracket cover beat 1 as well?
It was intentionally not covering the whole bar, but I've decided to change it in my latest revision.

Maelstrom

sorry to keep you waiting on this

approval

edit: there was actually a capitalization error both on the sheet and on the sheet on site. I took the liberty of changing both myself. It now matches the capitalization in the sound test.

Latios212

Little bit of aesthetic feedback for either of you to implement:
- m. 6 last LH note misaligned
- m. 7 RH beats 3-4 flipped
- Might want to lower the tie in m. 21 a bit away from beat 1.5
- https

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta