[SWITCH] Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield - "The Isle of Armor" by FiveNineSquared

Started by Zeta, July 18, 2020, 07:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: The Isle of Armor
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: FiveNineSquared

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

FiveNineSquared

This one is from the DLC for SwSh:
This video's uploader apparently just gives guesses as to the names and composers for each individual track from the game, but I just listed the names as per the video anyway.

So... there's a lot of problems with the mus file as usual that I need help with:
- all the tempo markings can't be shifted by me without shifting their anchored notes so they're a bit of a mess
- the rit. and rall. lines should appear dashed and italicised
- tempo markings at the rit./rall. lines should be hidden
- m10: the phrase line overlaps with the bottom stave, need help to make the staff space larger
- m12: spacing at the last beat is too tight
- m37: i intended to have a 'play with left hand' mark on the Eb on beat 1
- m38: i intended to have dotted lines here (see the pdf below!)
- m42: unsure if i need it, but i wrote let-ring/laissez vibrer marks on the whole notes
- the D.S. at m53 should be bolded
- the pralls don't play back
- all the grace notes/acciaccaturas don't have the slash for some reason
- header text is also just manually placed by me so you guys might want to replace it with actual in-built headers.

(here's a pdf of the musescore file i created the XML with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffm1hbkj969kw2k/IsleOfArmor.pdf?dl=1)

Thanks in advance!

Latios212

Hey!... Sorry it's taken so long for me to get this one. I went ahead and edited the .mus, see here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z5juq8sw8jstd9/The%20Isle%20of%20Armor.mus?dl=1

I tried to get everything you mentioned above, plus more. I did not mess with the playback or the slashes for the grace notes (actually I've never done that before) but let me know if those are super important and I can try to mess around with it.

Other than that, let me know if it looks okay and then I'll proceed with the note checking and stuff~
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Sorry for also taking quite a while to reply lol
But almost everything looks good! I think it's on my end, but the mordent/prall isn't playing back still.
As for the grace notes, the slash affects how long you'd interpret those grace notes to be (acciaccatura vs appoggiatura). So yeah, at least re-adding the grace notes again with the slashes is necessary. I think the playback for them isn't so important.

Latios212

Wait a sec... the grace notes do have slashes on my Finale file :o so I guess we're good in that regard :o

Also where are the mordents not playing back properly? They seem to be working fine for me

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Oh that's good lol
Yeah, okay so the mordent thing is on my end. They're probably not supported by Notepad

Latios212

Okey doke! Now for musical feedback at last. Apologies again for the wait.

- I think the run at the beginning starts on G in stead of F
- Beats 3-4 of m. 8 sound like C-Bb-G-D in eighth notes
- Bass in m. 12-13 sounds like G-A-Bb instead of Bb-C-D
- m. 12 beats 3-4 RH should have C-D instead of Bb-C
- m. 13 beat 2.5 sounds like C instead of D
- The six eighth notes in the second half of m. 15 RH - sounds like it's be better with the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th having a staccato instead of the 4th
- Second to last RH note in m. 24/25 shouldn't be staccato
- I think the Bn's at the end of m. 27 would make more sense as Cb's since they resolve to Bb in the Eb chord in the next measure?
- I'm hearing something quite different for m. 53 and would recommend writing in something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

Let me know if you want me to make changes for you (to preserve the formatting) :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Alrighty, I'm good with all those points! On top of that though, the staccato change (pt. 7) also carries over to bar 50-51.

Would appreciate if you could do the fixes, please! :D If I change anything the formatting implodes lol
Thank you!

Latios212

Great, I've updated the submission with the changes listed above :)

Approved!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

This is quite the piece, lots of stuff going on...
  • m17 LH: Those first 2 chords sound like Abmaj7 chords to me; I'd write them as Ab-C-G like in the previous measures.
  • You have the quarter notes in m23 and 24 RH marked as staccato, but m24 sounds more legato to me. m50-51 has the opposite problem, where m50 sounds staccato to me but isn't marked that way.
  • m42: That Bb is a bit close to the dot.
  • m5-27 is technically in C major (C mixolydian), and m44 is when it actually is F major (F mixolydian). I think it's fine to leave everything under one key signature, but if you wanted to you could add key changes. Up to you.

Let me know which of these changes (if any) that you want to implement and I'll make a new file for you.

FiveNineSquared

Alright, I'm okay with points 1 and 3,
For point 2, from what I'm hearing the articulation is the same both times. But it's def staccato for the first 1/4 notes then legato the second time. I think I made a mistake while importing the XML the first time because my musescore file is written like what i described
For point 4 I'd opt for one key sig cos it's better to read on the sheet music. Since both scales/modes have Bb in them, I don't see much of a need for the key change. I think leaving everything in F major is fine.

Thanks in advance!

Static

Quote from: FiveNineSquared on January 17, 2021, 08:07:26 AMFor point 2, from what I'm hearing the articulation is the same both times. But it's def staccato for the first 1/4 notes then legato the second time. I think I made a mistake while importing the XML the first time because my musescore file is written like what i described
For point 4 I'd opt for one key sig cos it's better to read on the sheet music. Since both scales/modes have Bb in them, I don't see much of a need for the key change. I think leaving everything in F major is fine.
Makes sense to me, both of those points. I've edited and uploaded some new files for you and will now accept.

Zeta