Game: Galaga
Console: Arcade
Title: Music from Galaga
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

Here's a link to a website with all of the game's arcade OST: Kingdom Hearts Insider - Galaga

And below is a handy key for finding the music among the sound effects (juuust in case):

deh key
The following names are pretty "duh":

Credit Sound = Credit

Start Music = Game Start

Capture Music = Fighter Captured

Rescue Music  = Fighter Rescued

Challenging Stage (Start) = Challenging Stage Start

Challenging Stage (Perfect) = Challenging Stage Perfect Score

Name Entry (2nd - 5th) = Name Entry (2nd - 5th)

Name Entry (1st) = Name Entry (1st)

... and these names are not "duh":

Mistake Music = Captured Fighter Destroyed

Extend Sound = 1-Up

You have reached the end of the key. Glad I could speed things along.
[close]

PLEASE READ

Now, it's not important to me that this sheet makes it into the next update, because I want all the time it takes to make it the best it can be. With that said, I'd like to make a few notes about it:

A Comprehensive List of Nit-Picky Notes
Credit

- left out a part because it's too fast to manage all three

Game Start

- because the voices in this one tend to overlap, I've swapped notes between parts to make it less confusing to read and easier to play
- I left out the last two beats of the LH part -- most people don't hear what's going on below the triplet parts

Fighter Captured

- in most cases during the original's gameplay, this song does not get the chance to repeat the full two times, but it is programmed to loop. I've incorporated this into the playback accordingly, but if you think it'd matter, I can put in a performance note about the repeat being optional. This applies to "Fighter Rescued" as well

Fighter Rescued

- the second measure's LH F# is in parentheses, because it is an octave from compared to "Fighter Captured"'s F natural on the same beat. Whether or not this was intentional, I think we ought to write this deliberately

Captured Fighter Destroyed

- hoo boy, was this a nightmare to write out when I first started the sheet back in November. I've simplified the rhythms so that non-aliens can play it

Challenging Stage Start

- could someone *coughmsfcough* please verify the tempo of this one for me? It's so short to tap to that I can only estimate

Challenging Stage Clear

- there was no practical way for me to write out this reverb using another part, so I've opted for a sustained pedal over the melody instead. Is that fine?

Challenging Stage Perfect Score

- the original has this tonic - dominant volley going on as a bass line, but I felt it was more important to include the arpeggios. In order to represent both voices, I inverted every other arpeggio, would this even be playable?
- in the 2/4 bar, too much was going on, so for the LH I included the 16ths rhythm with an added tie for performer convenience
- the common time bar is imitating the "flying enemy" sound effect from the game; it's not very important how this glissando is played, so I've done my best to re-create it for the playback as a reference

Name Entry (2nd - 5th)

- what I've written for the LH was moved down the octave so it could be out of the way. For this reason, m1's dyad on beat 4 was reduced to a lone C4

Name Entry (1st)

- is the 3/16 with the D.C. back to m1 ridiculous? Yes, of course! -- but I couldn't figure out how to simplify it without ruining the feel. Taking suggestions

1-Up

- left out a part here again because it's too fast to manage all three

Some General Notes

- for the songs notated with "Heavy Swing", I couldn't find a dotted 8th - 16th marking for the expression, so right now it's blank
- if it's worth trying to evenly space the systems a little better on pg. 2, let me know if there's a way to do it
[close]

Please! Don't feel any need to get this approved by a certain date. I'm almost done with my Unfinished Sheets folder (as part of my New Year's Resolutions), and I want to do whatever it takes to make sure they're quality.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Just taking a quick peek right now, a couple things:
- Dunno if this is just me, but for the heavy swing ones I would much prefer them to be written as dotted 8th-16th to emphasize the rhythm
- Why's the low F# in Fighter Rescued m. 2 parenthesized?
- Use 4/4 in Challenging Stage Perfect Score throughout (common time presently in the last measure)
- Left hand notes in Name Entry (1st) look a bit awkward beamed together, I'd suggest unbeaming them
- Shouldn't the last one (1-Up) be left aligned?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on August 01, 2020, 08:06:14 AMJust taking a quick peek right now, a couple things:
- Dunno if this is just me, but for the heavy swing ones I would much prefer them to be written as dotted 8th-16th to emphasize the rhythm
- Why's the low F# in Fighter Rescued m. 2 parenthesized?
- Use 4/4 in Challenging Stage Perfect Score throughout (common time presently in the last measure)
- Left hand notes in Name Entry (1st) look a bit awkward beamed together, I'd suggest unbeaming them
- Shouldn't the last one (1-Up) be left aligned?

- sure thing, but it may squish the systems
- I already mentioned why in the notes, it's because it's an octave down from the F natural in "Fighter Captured", so putting it parentheses makes it look deliberate and not like an engraving mistake
- you mean, minus the 2/4 bar? I have no problem changing the glissando measure from common time to 4/4, but do you want the last two measures combined into one?
- can do
- I like to align the sound effects towards the middle when they're placed at the end; makes the setup's conclusion look better, IMO (See my recent Dig Dug and Popeye sheets)

I'll update the files when more feedback is ready.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 01, 2020, 08:23:25 AM- I already mentioned why in the notes, it's because it's an octave down from the F natural in "Fighter Captured", so putting it parentheses makes it look deliberate and not like an engraving mistake
Ah sorry, missed the note :) But from the perspective of someone just looking at the sheet without those notes, it's not clear what it's supposed to mean as parentheses are typically used (at least, around here, that I'm aware of) to signify overlapping or optional notes.

For the purposes of this sheet, I would suggest leaving it without the parentheses - that way Fighter Rescued can also be read independently. If you're adamant about communicating that that note is different, you could explicitly say that on the sheet itself.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 01, 2020, 08:23:25 AM- I already mentioned why in the notes, it's because it's an octave down from the F natural in "Fighter Captured", so putting it parentheses makes it look deliberate and not like an engraving mistake

Quote from: Latios212 on August 01, 2020, 08:44:41 AMAh sorry, missed the note :) But from the perspective of someone just looking at the sheet without those notes, it's not clear what it's supposed to mean as parentheses are typically used (at least, around here, that I'm aware of) to signify overlapping or optional notes.

For the purposes of this sheet, I would suggest leaving it without the parentheses - that way Fighter Rescued can also be read independently. If you're adamant about communicating that that note is different, you could explicitly say that on the sheet itself.

Will check this later, but something like this might be more appropriate for conveying that information:

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Latios212

I don't think that really clarifies it well, since it looks it's suggesting the performer play both notes.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

As far as I'm aware, this is pretty standard notation for 'big note is the one to play, with small note the optional note instead of the big note'.  I've never seen it mean anything else without additional clarification.

LeviR.star

Fixed everything in the files except this point, which has yet to be addressed:

Quote from: Latios212 on August 01, 2020, 08:06:14 AM- Use 4/4 in Challenging Stage Perfect Score throughout (common time presently in the last measure)

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 01, 2020, 08:23:25 AM- you mean, minus the 2/4 bar? I have no problem changing the glissando measure from common time to 4/4, but do you want the last two measures combined into one?

Also, I opted out of the parentheses method and instead added a performance note right below "Fighter Rescued". Tell me if I can word it better.

LeviR.star

Alright, it's been one month with no activity here, so now it's time for my monthly --

Latios212

I gotcha!

Game Start
- I think m. 4 sounds like it should have an Eb in it? Other than that looks good.

Fighter Rescued
- I'd suggest using an actual text asterisk instead of a pedal release marking.

- Use 4/4 instead of C in m. 5

That's all from me :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:52:03 AMI gotcha!

Game Start
- I think m. 4 sounds like it should have an Eb in it? Other than that looks good.

Fighter Rescued
- I'd suggest using an actual text asterisk instead of a pedal release marking.

- Use 4/4 instead of C in m. 5

That's all from me :)

Talked over this with Latios on Discord; I changed the asterisk and the C time signature, but left the E-flat out because the 16th note dyads were reduced to single notes to help out the performer. Files updated!

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Really nice work, seems like it was a headache to arrange in the first place.

Accepted

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot