News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Two Site Things I was Wondering About

Started by Kricketune54, August 05, 2020, 09:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

I really enjoy using this site a lot, but I was wondering if these two things are being considered or have been considered for the main site.

1) A search bar for the main site: I appreciate the drop down menus that were instituted with the site overhaul, but there are times where I wish I could use the main site and type in a game or song and save a few clicks.  I'm sure that this is idea has been floated before but I was wondering if anything is happening with onsite searchability improvements in the future.

2) Browse by composer: I understand that this might be even more of an undertaking than the aforementioned from a technical and archiving standpoint (or maybe not since the arrangers are all hyperlinked with pages), but I think there's a real potential value in this to both arrangers and game music aficionados.  There is information and data that could be available on NinSheetMusic that could be a very useful resource, as there are plenty of games and soundtracks on here that have limited if no info on VGMdb or similar sites.

I guess another idea that could be cool would be some sort of community wiki that focuses on getting information on game soundtracks (though I know there are plenty of other sites that have soundtrack inforation).

Overall though, I really love NinSheetMusic and what it represents.  I've enjoyed printing off and playing arrangements over the last 5 years, and I don't plan on stopping in the future!

Maelstrom

First, the way the site indexed doesn't really lend itself to a search feature, since there's not individual pages for the sheets, so there's not really anything to easily index.

As for the 2nd, browse by composer is wayyyy harder than it sounds, because the composer isn't in plaintext in the file so it's easily indexable, and a large number of composers, particularly those on older sheets, are named incorrectly or inconsistently.

They are things we, as a staff, have considered, but they are not things that will be implemented soon. As for a community wiki, there's not a real reason when VGMDB does it better and has a better database already.

Kricketune54

Thank you for the reply and for the transparency!  I was interested in the staff's thoughts on these topics.

Radiak488417

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 05, 2020, 01:56:23 PMFirst, the way the site indexed doesn't really lend itself to a search feature, since there's not individual pages for the sheets, so there's not really anything to easily index.

What about the thing where it highlights a sheet for you? https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/browse/series/SuperMario#sheet1941 It looks like they're at least indexed by number, if they each have a unique url. Could a search bar possibly make use of this existing function? (Not sure if this has been suggested before, just an idea)