What Nintendo soundtracks would you most want to see released?

Started by 607, December 19, 2020, 05:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, it's me again!

I have wanted to create this topic for a while, but with the recent news about Nintendo blocking unofficial soundtrack uploads on YouTube, and me having Christmas vacation, I thought it was the right time. ;)
As I'm (almost) sure we all know, Nintendo doesn't release their games' soundtracks. At least, not commercially; rarely, a soundtrack is produced, but not on sale. I don't know why this is the case, as for most internationally released films soundtracks are released, I'm pretty sure, and some other companies (notably, Square Enix) do put out soundtracks.
In this topic, let's discuss the soundtracks that we would most like to buy!

For me, there is no question about what should be on number 1. It is:
Mario Kart Super Circuit
This game has an amazing soundtrack, even when you're used to the quality that Mario Kart is known to offer. However, presumably because the game was inexplicably put on the smallest GBA cartridge size available, the samples have undergone an extreme amount of compression. We know what the soundtrack would sound like without the compression, though!
First listen to this: https://youtu.be/MqrFVoyq5yE Then listen to this: https://youtu.be/Rm_KG-6ukHI
Aah, to be able to hear the entire soundtrack in that quality... what a dream!

For my second pick, one that might be surprising:
Super Mario Galaxy
This soundtrack is iconic, epic, and extremely good. It was released, but only to Club Nintendo members, and not commercially. It hasn't been available new for at least 10 years, I think, and it is not so easy to find it second-hand affordably either. It would be nice to have it available more easily, and it would be nice to have it on Spotify too!

And as the last one, for now:
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest
Of course it would be nice to have all three, but in my opinion, the second game has the best soundtrack of the trilogy by far. I would love to be able to request this on my favourite music listening website SST, it would be great to have on Spotify and I would like to have it physically too. This is just such a grand soundtrack! And if I'm not mistaken, the full version does in fact sound clearer than the in-game version, which would be welcome, even though this soundtrack sounds great in-game too.

I'm curious of your thoughts on these wishes, and moreover what you would like to see released yourself!
And if anyone has an idea as to why Nintendo isn't releasing soundtracks, feel free to contribute. ;)

Still no replies? :o I thought people here would find this an interesting topic.
Anyway, I thought of another soundtrack that I wanted to mention.
Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
This is a 3rd party title, so it probably doesn't have much to do with Nintendo as a company, which the 1st party and 2nd party titles do do, assumedly. However, the soundtrack has not been released, while it has some really nice tracks. I would personally be fine with it as a single disc release. All themes for events and places are pretty minor; it's the tracks that play a lot that are really good. Which was good prioritisation on the part of the composer, I guess. :)

Kricketune54

Given the way Nintendo acts I wish they would partner with someone and make a music streaming service.  I know that's hardly the same as owning soundtracks (and not likely considering how Nintendo likes to tie their soundtracks up in game players) but I feel like that would be the easiest way to access everything.

I think I'd want a Smash boxed set or something as my most wanted, but second to that, I'd love a double disk of the Pokemon Colosseum and XD soundtracks

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 22, 2020, 09:03:39 AMGiven the way Nintendo acts I wish they would partner with someone and make a music streaming service.  I know that's hardly the same as owning soundtracks (and not likely considering how Nintendo likes to tie their soundtracks up in game players) but I feel like that would be the easiest way to access everything.
Hm, why do you think they would be more likely to do that? They do like to be special, don't they? :/ It would be a lot more convenient to have the soundtracks on YouTube and Spotify, though, and preferably available for purchase (cd and/or digital download) too...

Kricketune54

Quote from: 607 on December 23, 2020, 07:01:28 AMHm, why do you think they would be more likely to do that? They do like to be special, don't they? :/ It would be a lot more convenient to have the soundtracks on YouTube and Spotify, though, and preferably available for purchase (cd and/or digital download) too...

Oh I didn't say I thought they would be more likely to do that but yeah my line of thinking was that would be a way for Nintendo to be "special".  And I wouldn't expect Nintendo to do a soundtrack release out of convenience lol we have what 3-4 decades going against that

Carl-Kun

I would say Super Smash Bros. Brawl for sure. Anytime I look up SSBB CD it just comes up with the in-game item.

Quote from: Carl-Kun on December 23, 2020, 12:21:56 PMI would say Super Smash Bros. Brawl for sure. Anytime I look up SSBB CD it just comes up with the in-game item.
Oh yes, I can imagine wanting that one! It would have to be a big set, though, isn't the soundtrack rather long? ;)