Console: PlayStation 2
Title: Game
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Code_Name_Geek

[attachment deleted by admin]

Code_Name_Geek

hey look, I remembered to centre the staccatos right this time

Libera

This piece doesn't go quite where you expect it to at the end does it?

Sorry for the long wait, checking now.

-The 8va in bar 1 could start a little more to the left.
-Does every single (almost) note need a staccato?  I get what you're going for but I feel like an articulation kind of loses its meaning if you put it on basically every note.  Maybe you could write 'sim' at some point, or even condense what you want to convey with a direction instead of all of these staccatos.
-The chords in 29-33 are maj7b5 or 7b5, so I think the G#s should be Abs instead.
-The repeat in 32 is not particularly pleasant and also the bass note actually changes to a Cn on the fourth chord, so I think it'd be a good idea to write those bars out fully.  If you're worried about going onto two many pages, you can fix this by dropping the staff size to 6.5cm (to be honest I would do this anyway since I think it looks better) and then putting 5 systems on page 1.

Nice work.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on March 11, 2021, 11:58:28 AMThis piece doesn't go quite where you expect it to at the end does it?
Yeah it's a bit of a sneaky ending haha.

Quote from: Libera on March 11, 2021, 11:58:28 AM-Does every single (almost) note need a staccato?  I get what you're going for but I feel like an articulation kind of loses its meaning if you put it on basically every note.  Maybe you could write 'sim' at some point, or even condense what you want to convey with a direction instead of all of these staccatos.
That's a really good point. I decided to use sim after establishing the pattern, however I kept the staccatos for the last section since it's so different in style. Does this make sense?

Quote from: Libera on March 11, 2021, 11:58:28 AM-The chords in 29-33 are maj7b5 or 7b5, so I think the G#s should be Abs instead.
Fixed, I was thinking of those as #11s but that makes more sense in this context.

Quote from: Libera on March 11, 2021, 11:58:28 AM-The repeat in 32 is not particularly pleasant and also the bass note actually changes to a Cn on the fourth chord, so I think it'd be a good idea to write those bars out fully.  If you're worried about going onto two many pages, you can fix this by dropping the staff size to 6.5cm (to be honest I would do this anyway since I think it looks better) and then putting 5 systems on page 1.
Good catch, I usually use 6.5cm size but I must have forgotten this time around. Fixed the repeat and the bass note as well.

Everything else is fixed too, thanks!

Libera

Looks great!  The only thing I have left to suggest is maybe a double barline in 28, but that's really up to you.  I'll approve in the meantime.  (I'll fix the articulations later.)

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 19, 2021, 10:33:54 AMFixed, I was thinking of those as #11s but that makes more sense in this context.

I think the main thing that distinguishes those two chords is that a #11 should have an unmodified fifth in it, whereas the b5 is the fifth in the chord, if that makes sense.  Admittedly there's probably some ambiguity in certain cases, but the voicing here makes this pretty clear cut in my opinion.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on March 19, 2021, 04:56:42 PMLooks great!  The only thing I have left to suggest is maybe a double barline in 28, but that's really up to you.  I'll approve in the meantime.  (I'll fix the articulations later.)
Good idea, done.

Static

Looks pretty great, just a few nitpicky details to go over:
  • While G minor makes sense, that bassline actually makes me hear this as more in G major (like a G blues sound). Up to you if you want to change the key signature for that, it's probably fine either way.
  • When those LH power chords come in at m19, I hear the beat 4.5 notes as tied to the next measure (like in m20/22/26) rather than restruck.
\
  • You don't need courtesy accidentals when you start on a new line (m35), but you can keep them anyway.
  • That bass lick in m38 actually starts as a pickup on beat 4.5 of m37, so the last D should be one 8th note longer as well (starting on beat 2.5 of m38).

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Static on March 21, 2021, 11:23:16 AMLooks pretty great, just a few nitpicky details to go over:
  • While G minor makes sense, that bassline actually makes me hear this as more in G major (like a G blues sound). Up to you if you want to change the key signature for that, it's probably fine either way.
  • When those LH power chords come in at m19, I hear the beat 4.5 notes as tied to the next measure (like in m20/22/26) rather than restruck.
\
  • You don't need courtesy accidentals when you start on a new line (m35), but you can keep them anyway.
  • That bass lick in m38 actually starts as a pickup on beat 4.5 of m37, so the last D should be one 8th note longer as well (starting on beat 2.5 of m38).
-I actually went back and forth on the key while arranging this so I'm fine to change it.
-I listened to the power chords again and it's really hard to tell, so I'm going to trust you on that. The middle one is still restruck in the arrangement because of the change in voicing, however.
-Done.
-Also done.

Thanks!

Static

Wow I didn't realize I put a random \ in my post

Looks good, accepted

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot