Game: Super Mario 3D Land
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Retro Mario
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Hey all! Here's my transcription of "Rainbow Run" from Super Mario 3D World
Please note the inverted mordent in m6 plays B Natural and Bb (I considered writing B Natural as Cb for this reason)

LeviR.star

Looks like you haven't played Super Mario 3D Land. I'd strongly advise you to list this song as "Retro Mario" under 3D Land, as it is practically the same remix, save for the percussion:

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

XiaoMigros

I have played 3D Land and this has been my home screen theme on the 3DS since forever, I should probably rename it ;D

Static

• You put Toy Time in 2/2 but this in 4/4... obviously it works either way but I just thought that was kind of funny.
  • m10 RH beat 3.75: this lone 16th note should be C instead of F. I'd suggest removing the Cs from the surrounding chords to make it a bit easier to play.
  • That interval in m17 is much to wide to play with either hand, you should move it up an octave or find some other way to write out that measure.
  • Grace note in m26 should be G# (leading tone to A).
  • m27-28 RH also sound like they should have grace notes as the beginning.
  • The composer is Koji Kondo, yes, but you should also add Asuka Hayazaki, Takeshi Hama, and Mahito Yokota as arrangers.
  • There's a bunch of formatting stuff to take care of obviously, but I can help you out with that once all this stuff is dealt with.

XiaoMigros

Static

Looks good, just a few more things I have:
  • Just to be extra clear, that C-B-C mordent in m6 LH should have a natural sign under it.
  • Beat 3 should be beamed across in m12 and 16 LH.
  • m28 RH beat 1 should have that staccato flipped up.

Since I'm pretty sure you can't do some of this stuff with NotePad, here's a file for you with all the above changes, along with the following formatting adjustments:
  • Hayazaki, Hama, and Yokota changed to arrangers rather than composers.
  • Composer/arranger text changed to Times New Roman, along with the "Piano" text at the start of the first system.
  • Copyright info removed from pages 2-3.
  • Measure numbers, page numbers, and page subtitles added.
  • Page margins and system spacing adjusted slightly so there's more room for the music.

If this looks good to you, I'll approve. Let me know if you have any questions or if you disagree with anything here.

XiaoMigros

Wait, I wasn't using Times New Roman? oops
Looks good to me, thanks!

Static

Latios212

Looks pretty good, a few things to call out:

One big thing is courtesy accidentals. I see many of them are here because of MuseScore's default of placing them on any note that has been altered in the previous measure. However, most of them here aren't really necessary because the accidentals are passing tones (like the E-Eb-D in m. 5) and not a change of harmony, and the appear distant enough in the following measure so that they shouldn't be confused. (Plus, the key signature here keeps things pretty clean so it's easy to do a mental "reset" on a new measure.)

Smaller things:
- A couple of typos in the composer info, also should be consistent using "composition by" / "arrangement by"
- m. 10 the chord in beat 3-4 sounds like Fsus4 - meaning the A's should be Bb's
- m. 22/26 beat 1 should be C-E instead of Bb-E
- The G in m. 24 beat 4.25 RH should be sharp
- The rhythm in m. 18 LH and similar would better use a staccato eighth note on beat 1 instead of a staccato dotted eighth note on beat 1, to be consistent with rhythms you've written elsewhere.
- A couple of the 8va lines need to be adjusted slightly to fit with the notes.

Other things to consider:
- I'd suggest slurring grace notes to the melody notes that follow them to prevent the grace notes from just floating around - it shows what they're connected to. You don't have to, though - your choice.
- Writing out rhythm figures as 16th-staccato 8th-16th vs. 16th-16th-rest-16th. I prefer the latter personally, but either is fine. Whichever you end up choosing, just be sure to keep is consistent across the rest of the sheet.

I've updated the submission files with stuff except for the last two points, for you to think about ^^
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

I updated the rhythm figures as Latios suggested, using the 16th-16th-rest-16th pattern instead of 16th-staccato 8th-16th.
As for the other changes, they look good to me :)

Latios212

Looks great! I uploaded slightly updated files with the usual v26 articulation reset, plus a couple of fixes to the 16th rest heights and staccato positionings in  m. 28.

All good, accepting!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot