News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Mass Effect, Oblivion, or Bioshock?

Started by kotorfanboy, August 16, 2008, 09:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one should I get?

Mass Effect
4 (21.1%)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
10 (52.6%)
Bioshock
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

kotorfanboy

So I really want to get Mass Effect (mass effect=bioware=kotor) but if somebody here can convince that bioshock or oblivion (both games I also want to get) is better, I'll get that.

Pearcinator

Well it looks like im the best guy u can talk to!

I own Mass Effect and Oblivion and have borrowed and finished Bioshock.

All are great games. But to choose which one is the best is hard. They all have their benefits.

First of all...i wouldnt recommend Bioshock as you are obviously a kotorfanboy and Bioshock does NOT equal kotor. Kotor is an awesome rpg, Bioshock is an awesome (but dark and creepy) first-person shooter.

Oblivion...im sorry but i cant tell you much about this one other than that the map is effing massive! (i only got it yesterday lol). Also ive heard it has upwards of 300 hours of playtime which is ridiculously huge for a simgle-player non-MMO game.

Mass Effect...OMG this game is awesome! BUT it does have its flaws, let me tell you that this is still very different than Kotor. In Kotor, lightsabres were the weapon of choice but in Mass Effect there are no lightsabres (or melee weapons, but u can melee them if ur close enough). This is more of a third-person shooter than an rpg but all the rpg elements are there. The story and dialogue are top-notch (You may recognise certain voices...such as Seth Green and Carth). Another (flaw?) could be that the story is only 30 hours long which is a bit on the short side when it comes to rpgs.

I could go on about each games positives and negatives but i would just say that you should go with Mass Effect. If you liked Kotor then you should hopefully enjoy Mass Effect. It is the only 3rd-person game here (other than changing to 3rd person in oblivion, but its not as good) and it has probably got the most epic music ive ever heard.

Theres so much more i would like to say but i reckon u should just go with whatever suits u best. Its all gotta do with opinion. You cant go wrong with any of them. Although i would say that Bioshock would b the worst choice to go with. Its got a good story and dialogue but its a dark, creepy, violent first-person shooter. Theres more blood in Bioshock than there is water (slight exaggeration lol).

Thats just my two cents on the matter. If you do go with Mass Effect lemme just say that its starts out slow...with the game picking up after you complete the citadel. Mass Effect is the most similar to Kotor with Oblivion coming in second and Bioshock a distant 3rd.

KefkaticFanatic

Oblivion would last longer and be a great RPG, Mass Effect is great if you like RPGs, and if you're an FPS fan, then Bioshock is for you.

me irl
[close]

Harvest

That is a very tough choice.  I own all three, completed all three...well Oblivion I've completed enough to say I completed it, I have not done all of the stuff.

So I've played Oblivion about 325 hours counting the expansions...its probably my favourite, but I've notice a lot of people don't like it for its flaws.  I was able to look past its flaws and still have a lot of fun.

I'm gonna recommend Mass Effect for you.  Its a really amazing game, it feels like a movie.  Though I wish it was a bit longer...I think I beat it in 18 hours with roaming around doing nothing on planets...hopefully the next game is at least 30 hours.

Bioshock is pretty good, but the other two are better in my opinion.
-

Davey

Dammit, this is the hardest question evar. So, I'm just going to say "All" and be done with it. I'm not changing my answer. I don't care if I have to chose only one. ALL.  >:(

Brawler4Ever

I've never played BioShock or Mass Effect.  :-\

But I have played Oblivion. And(since I can't compare it to those two games) it's a really great game.
100+ hours on two separate accounts. Hundreds of different ideas for characters. You can do so much on the game.

That's it.  :P
I like Oblivion.
 ;D
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Harvest

If there is any way to play Oblivion before you buy such as at a friends house go and try it.  Some people have problems with the combat and that ruins the game for them.
-

kotorfanboy

Quote from: DaveyTheRebel on August 17, 2008, 02:25:45 PMDammit, this is the hardest question evar. So, I'm just going to say "All" and be done with it. I'm not changing my answer. I don't care if I have to chose only one. ALL.  >:(

If I find 180 dollars on the street then I'll buy all 3.

I did play the demo for bioshock and liked it, and I have morrowind and I think that is pretty good, but people say oblivion is better. But Mass Effect is only 30 hours compared to Oblivion's 300+?  :-\

Pearcinator

True ^^^

Mass Effect is rather short whilst Oblivion is crazy long. But i still go for Mass Effect as 30 hrs for great gfx, great story and the ability for at least 1 replay (good/evil) makes it well worth the $

Also (if u love getting all achievements) it takes AT LEAST 3 playthroughs to get all achievements, whether thats a good or bad thing is up 2 u.

Super Zombie

You've obviously never heard of eBay and Amazon sellers. You could get all three for the price you're going to spend on one. I like BioShock the most of those, but since you love KotOR so much (as do I), you should probably get Mass Effect if you only get one. Again, try eBay and Amazon. I skimmed through both and it looks like you could get all three for under $60.

Gooch

Hmm, old topic, but ah well. You probably have purchased all three, but for the help of others, i'll give my 2 cents. I have all three, and lean more on Mass Effect and Bioshock than Oblivion. Many people probably will disagree with me, but, Oblivion and Fallout are the same game to me. The only difference is the years and the weapons. Personally, i enjoyed Fallout more than Oblivion (one of the few times i enjoyed shooting more than slashing). As for Mass Effect, i'm currently playing through it, but i like just about everything. My one qualm so far is when you go to Noveria, you have to fight an Adept (basically wizard) and a swarm of her followers, and there are long dialogues you have to go through to get to the fighting parts, and i often died right after the conversation, so, that got annoying. Otherwise, i really liked every part of Mass Effect. Bioshock, to me, is one of my all time favorite games. Its very dark, at certain parts its frightening to play at night, and a wonderful scheme :) Very bloody, as well :) Story isn't exactly the longest, but it kinda throws you for loops and makes the plot come on as a little longer every time you achieve something :) Personally, my vote is Bioshock (note: it's a Sci-Fi FPS, so that might be a turn off)

kotorfanboy

Whoa I forgot about this topic.

I have both Oblivion and Bioshock now and have played some of Mass Effect from a borrow.

Davey

Gu4n

KefkaticFanatic

Indeed.  I had posted before I had played it.  You MUST play Bioshock.

me irl
[close]