[MUL] Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - "Theme of Bloodstained (Piano)" by Atcero

Started by Zeta, December 13, 2021, 12:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Theme of Bloodstained (Piano)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

[attachment deleted by admin]

Atcero

Fun fact, the piano in the original track is tuned to roughly 432 for some reason so that was fun. I have a note with that in the sheet if that's fine but can remove it if need be. For playback, I do not have the pedal but it is clear in the song pedal is used.

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Kricketune54

I remember this from Discord a little while ago.  Nice solo piece overall!

-As far as tuning goes... I personally don't think it's a super important thing to include (thinking of the killer queen sheet that didn't include tuning instructions), but could be a cool addition. I'd suggest making it a Performance Note though, and putting it at end of song under the last system.  Perhaps change the text to "Performance Note: For a more accurately pitched performance, tune piano to 432 Hz".
- For the pedal marks, I'm only going to inquire, are these what show up after importing from MuseScore?  I'd assume that based off their appearance (and personal experience), do you have any thoughts on this method vs. just placing con pedale at the beginning?
                    -Other pedal related item: m9 the marking does not cover beat 1.0

-m5-6 RH beat 1.0- I hear an An under the first note, and in m7-8 RH beat 1.0- I hear an Fn under the first note
-I'm not going to pretend to be a master of accidentals, though with m7 it really sounds like Bb major chord tones for this measure.  So A# should be Bb.  I would go as far as to say that for instances where there are sharp accidentals, that based off this song, which sounds to be in D minor, that those accidentals should be flats, but I'd like to hear your or others' thoughts before making that change.
-m14 sounds like there is a little bit of a rit.  Maybe unnecessary inclusion sense it is so subtle
-m18 LH beat 4.5 there is a Dn; LH m18 is the same as m17 rhythm-wise
-m19 RH I do not hear that movement on beat 1.5, sounds more like the first notes are held for a half note length.
-m28 The roll is quite close to the front of the measure, use the measure spacing tool to add a bit extra space in front.  I had this same issue come up with my New Horizons sheet, and Latios suggested adding .5 to the beginning of the measure; I tried in finale and think it would work in this instance as well.

-The last two systems look a little lonely haha, perhaps increase the space between the systems on page 1 so there are 4 instead of 5, and so there are 3 on page 2.  The bottom of page 1 as it is isn't super cozy but the copyright is a little close with the pedal marks as they are.  I can understand though given the current distribution lines up with the part change that this is not a super necessary item though, so maybe just increase the space between systems a little on page 2 a little bit.

Zeila

I too have feedback that I haven't gotten around to posting, so here's some additional stuff that Kricketune didn't already cover:

- Not sure if this really matters but the performance note is outside of the margins
- I don't think specifying each pedal is necessary if it changes every measure, so you could show the first few, hide the rest, and put "simile", or you could hide/delete all of them and just put "con pedale" at the start. If you would still rather show pedal markings, then I think it would make more sense to use the triangle hooks instead of the line since it implies that it stops there instead of only momentarily. Actually looking through it more, it seems like there are some spots where it should be either extended longer than one measure (m9-10, 11-12, and 13-15) or shortened to half of the measure (m20-21)
- I think it is fine to leave 5 systems on the first page provided that the pedal markings are hidden and the first system is moved down to add more space below the composer/arranger text since it looks pretty cramped. Otherwise you could do what Kricketune suggested
- I also think this is in D minor, but even if it isn't I think those A#'s should be written as Bb's. There are a lot of 5ths going on in the bass motion and writing it as Bb instead of A# makes that more clear. Also there are some measures with both A and A# (e.g. measure 11 or 22). I would also probably put Db's instead of C#'s in measures 3-4
- m3/4 LH beat 1 C# sounds more like Bb
- m9/11/13 RH I think it would be better if those quarter notes were written as half notes since there's a pedal there
- m15 I think there should be a double barline at the end here since it's switching to 4/4 for a significant amount of time
- m19 RH I do hear that D on beat 1.5 2.5, but maybe you could make it more clear that it belongs to the chord hit so that it won't be mistaken as part of the melody
- m20 LH last note sounds more like C than G
- m22 RH beat 4 sounds like there's also a Bb here
- m25 RH I think the F's should be G's instead

Atcero

Got everything fixed minus these:
Quotem20 LH last note sounds more like C than G
Rechecked and I still hear it going from C to G for the final notes
Quotem19 RH I do hear that D on beat 1.5 2.5, but maybe you could make it more clear that it belongs to the chord hit so that it won't be mistaken as part of the melody
Yeeted the D to the LH just to make it more clear

Thank you both!
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Nice little piece! All notes seem fine to me, just some other things:

-For the perfomance note, I think somewhere below the last system or above the first system in a smaller text box would work a bit better. It's best to keep things outside of margins, that's what they're for ^^
-I think you can safely change the key signature to D minor (1 flat): there are some instances where a Bb major chord appears (you currently have them with A#'s, which should really all be Bb's). I think the G major chords (where the Bn's come up) are more just for a Dorian color than it actually being in a Dorian mode. Make sure there won't be A#'s left tho, and make sure the Db's in m3-4 don't change to C#'s :p
-m10, 12 and 14-15: Maybe you could either move these notes down to the L.H. (with a G-clef too) to show they're part of a continuing line from the L.H. in m9, 11 and 13, or you could just place a line from the L.H. to the R.H. like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
The run at the end of m15 can stay in the R.H., of course
-m17: I think it's alright to change the dotted quarter + 8th rest here to just a half note, the player will just let go of the Bn so the L.H. can take it.
-m24-25: I believe the top D here is a whole note in a separate layer, kinda like how it acts in m26-27.
-m26: I think you can just change the half note here to a dotted half note too? I also don't really hear it anymore around beat 3, but it feels a bit weird pianistically to go out of your way to dampen the note.
-m28: I don't hear the A in the L.H. here, but the low D it has been playing before. Also, you could shorten the arpeggio line a bit so the top ends just above the chord; it's a bit far up now.
-Small measure distribution suggestion: the first system on page 2 is a liiiittle bit cramped, while the second system is a liiiittle bit wide. Maybe you could move measure 23 down to the second system, so the distribution is a little bit more even? (another thing you can do is move 26 and 27 up to the second system, and shorten m28 so it has the length of about 1 measure)

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

It almost is! :p

In m26, I meant having the top layer as a dotted half note (instead of a dotted quarter note), so there's no rests between this note and the next one. Also, the fermate in m15 should be centered (idk if it was like that before or not).

Atcero

Fixed, and yeah I think it mightve been from the import from the 2012 file to reg Finale. Thank ya!

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Latios212

Looking good~

Some things:
- Many of the measures have an abnormal amount of space at the beginning - ex. m. 3 and 4 have too much space, 17 and 19 have too little. I don't recall what the issue you had last time was, but just clicking on each measure using the note entry tool fixes it for me. Otherwise, I think you can apply music spacing or something.
- You can lower the top staff on both pages a bit to give the header more space since you have extra white space at the bottom.
- I think the triads in the RH of m. 18 should be inverted down once - they sound like F on top with D and A below it. (If you do this, you could remove the A from either the LH/RH of beat 2.5 to avoid overlap)
- m. 20 LH last note should be a lower C (just like beat 3)
- I think the lower layer dyads in m. 24-25 should have D's under them to make them triads.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta