News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[SNES] Final Fantasy IV - "Inn" by Lumaga

Started by Zeta, July 01, 2021, 09:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy IV
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Inn
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Lumaga

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Nice to see some more classic FF stuff here. Not much to say on this one, just a few small details:
  • Curiously, this jingle wasn't included in the SNES soundtrack CD (here). It was only included starting with the soundtrack for the DS remake (here, under the title "Inn". Every subsequent rerelease of the OST has included the jingle with that same title, so I would recommend "Inn" over "Goodnight" or "Good Night". You can change your submission title in the same "Edit submission" menu where you upload files.
  • I would recommend putting the lowest RH notes in the LH. Feels a bit easier to play that way so the RH isn't stretching so far.
  • The melody note Bb in m2 should play for the entire measure, so I would make that a whole note, and move the D half note to the 2nd Layer.
  • There's an extra voice under the Db-Db-C-Eb that goes Bb-Bb-Bb-Cb.
  • Really tiny thing, but the "By" in composed/arranged by should be lowercase.
Here's some files for you with all the changes, plus some additional formatting/spacing adjustments. Feel free to upload these, and if you have any questions/disagree with anything let me know.

Lumaga

QuoteNice to see some more classic FF stuff here.
FF4 has a special place in my childhood and my heart, and I noticed this one hadn't been covered yet.  And with only two measures, I figured it couldn't be that hard.

QuoteCuriously, this jingle wasn't included in the SNES soundtrack CD (here). It was only included starting with the soundtrack for the DS remake (here, under the title "Inn". Every subsequent rerelease of the OST has included the jingle with that same title, so I would recommend "Inn" over "Goodnight" or "Good Night".
Thanks for looking into it deeper.

QuoteI would recommend putting the lowest RH notes in the LH. Feels a bit easier to play that way so the RH isn't stretching so far.
Ah, good call.  I suppose more than one ocatve is too much for most people (myself included).

QuoteThe melody note Bb in m2 should play for the entire measure, so I would make that a whole note, and move the D half note to the 2nd Layer.
There's an extra voice under the Db-Db-C-Eb that goes Bb-Bb-Bb-Cb.
These both give it a richer sound and it's much closer to the source.  How did you figure out the extra voice I missed?

I uploaded the files you fixed (thank you!).

Static

Quote from: Lumaga on July 01, 2021, 12:17:36 PMThese both give it a richer sound and it's much closer to the source.  How did you figure out the extra voice I missed?
For SNES music, I use a free program called jcom spc (you can download it here). There's other SPC players you can find, but jcom is the simplest to use for transcribing purposes. It lets you mute/solo any channel, making some dense chords easier to pick apart. For copyright reasons, I can't link you sites for SPC music files, but you should be able to easily find them with a quick search.

Anyways, I've got nothing more to say on this one, looks great! Approved

Lumaga

Thank you!  One last question.  Why did you recommend Bb-Bb-Bb-Cb instead of Bb-Bb-Bb-B?  Cb seems like an odd choice to me, but I'm guessing it fits with the key signature better stylistically than B natural.

Static

It's an F7b5 chord (F-A-Cb-Eb). You could interpret this as F7#11 (F-A-Eb-B), but the b5 better shows the resolution of Cb to Bb. Chord spelling can be really tricky since so many of them are enharmonically equivalent (same notes/intervals), but are spelled differently depending on context, but I think this makes the most sense for this particular progression.

Lumaga

Is there anything else to do before this one is accepted?

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot